Is there any point adding a sub to spendor sa1??

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
hi all,

i read a lot of good reviews about the sa1and their sweet mid but unfortunately their lack of lower end may be a hindrance to them and ultemately their owners.therefore could you add a sub to complement the sa1 or would that totally defeat the purpose of which they were built for???If any sub available which one would it be and hiow would you set it up in order that it does not over power the small sa1???

A

Anonymous

If you check the thread archives I think there are a few threads relating to using a sub for music. I started a thread with regards to the subject myself and opinion is divided as getting a sub to fully integrate seems like alot of effort...

A

Anonymous

This is a tricky one. I use the SA1 in a small/med room and have a REL Quake set to cut in at about 40Hz, at a low volume. This just underpins bass drums and electronic music to add presence but it doesn't give the whole bass picture like a pair of floorstanders will.

I think you've got to decide what's important to your listening. I hate the way bass on floorstanders can get in the way of the mids and overall clarity, so this arrangement suits me well. I'd like to replace the Quake with a REL R series in time. If you want to create a more balanced bass then I'd probably look to larger standmounters or floorstanders instead of trying to resolve with a sub. If you do choose the sub route then you're going to need a good one, taking the price into the territory of bigger speakers.

But what would give the mids of the SA1 with more bass? Maybe the A5 but I suspect they're quite bass heavy. I'd probably head for the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M!

A

Anonymous

igglebert:. have a REL Quake set to cut in at about 40Hz, at a low volume. ! How is this done ? Frequency knob ? The volume must be turned up in order for my sub to kick in .

A

Anonymous

The roll-off frequency is set with a knob and is at about 40Hz. The volume is another knob. I have it quite low - you'll struggle to hear it, especially if you're used to floorstanders. It adds a little something to underpin the SA1s without getting in their way. Not a great sub but set up like this it contributes well.

Messiah

I would certainly recommend using a sub to add to the bass, but you do have to get it right.

It took me a while to get it right for my system but once I did it was superb.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
igglebert:This is a tricky one. I use the SA1 in a small/med room and have a REL Quake set to cut in at about 40Hz, at a low volume. This just underpins bass drums and electronic music to add presence but it doesn't give the whole bass picture like a pair of floorstanders will. I think you've got to decide what's important to your listening. I hate the way bass on floorstanders can get in the way of the mids and overall clarity, so this arrangement suits me well. I'd like to replace the Quake with a REL R series in time. If you want to create a more balanced bass then I'd probably look to larger standmounters or floorstanders instead of trying to resolve with a sub. If you do choose the sub route then you're going to need a good one, taking the price into the territory of bigger speakers. But what would give the mids of the SA1 with more bass? Maybe the A5 but I suspect they're quite bass heavy. I'd probably head for the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M!

Hi igglebert and thanks for replying and giving me your view/experience regarding the sa1.you rright it is a tricky one.i personally do not think using a sub with competent speakers is classed as true hifi but can t help thinking about it...I am yet to have purchase any speakers but auditioned the sa1 and was blown away.the reason m leaning towards those sa1 is that not only do they sound amazing their placement is pretty flexible which suits me well.i ve got some focal 826v speakers in the ht room and did try them in the listening area but were far too imposing at 104/28/34 (h/w/d) plus away from walls they stick out like a sore toe..So is there a compact floorstanders that sound as good as the sa1 but add a little more bass?(i don t even know if it s fair to compare the 2 types!!!Are they any speakers that are as flexible as the sa1 in terms of placement and sound as good but add a little more bass or m i asking too much??thanks anyway

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
stpierre76:
igglebert:This is a tricky one. I use the SA1 in a small/med room and have a REL Quake set to cut in at about 40Hz, at a low volume. This just underpins bass drums and electronic music to add presence but it doesn't give the whole bass picture like a pair of floorstanders will. I think you've got to decide what's important to your listening. I hate the way bass on floorstanders can get in the way of the mids and overall clarity, so this arrangement suits me well. I'd like to replace the Quake with a REL R series in time. If you want to create a more balanced bass then I'd probably look to larger standmounters or floorstanders instead of trying to resolve with a sub. If you do choose the sub route then you're going to need a good one, taking the price into the territory of bigger speakers. But what would give the mids of the SA1 with more bass? Maybe the A5 but I suspect they're quite bass heavy. I'd probably head for the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M!

Hi igglebert and thanks for replying and giving me your view/experience regarding the sa1.you rright it is a tricky one.i personally do not think using a sub with competent speakers is classed as true hifi but can t help thinking about it...I am yet to have purchase any speakers but auditioned the sa1 and was blown away.the reason m leaning towards those sa1 is that not only do they sound amazing their placement is pretty flexible which suits me well.i ve got some focal 826v speakers in the ht room and did try them in the listening area but were far too imposing at 104/28/34 (h/w/d) plus away from walls they stick out like a sore toe..So is there a compact floorstanders that sound as good as the sa1 but add a little more bass?(i don t even know if it s fair to compare the 2 types!!!Are they any speakers that are as flexible as the sa1 in terms of placement and sound as good but add a little more bass or m i asking too much??thanks anyway
A B&W PV1 is a highly musical sub- if you add this, it will fill the bottom end for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts