Is there a Yamaha DSP-E800 modern equivalent??

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Back in the noughties, I had a Yamaha DSP-E800 so that I could have a dedicated 2-channel amp for music and the Yamaha did the surround processing. I no longer have it as I stopped using a 5.1 set-up due to room size .....life getting in the way etc

I am happy enough with my current set-up ...... Naim Unit Atom | Kef LS50 | Rel T5 sub.........but I wonder if there was a modern product that did a similar thing to the Yamaha???

Thanks in advance.....

Messiah

Do you have a budget in mind?

I can’t say I know all the products on the market but I don’t recall anything modern that will work in the same way - only providing amplification for the extra channels. (I used to run a Yamaha e390 back in the day).

Currently you can either get an AV receiver that will also provide amplification for all channels or you can get a processor that provides no amplification so you need a separate power amp/s.

You can add an AV receiver to your existing set-up and run it in a similar way to the e800 as long as it has pre-outs for the front L/R channels. Then (been many years since I did this but from memory)…

-Connect L/R pre-out from suitable AVR into an RCA input on Stereo Amp (SA).
-Connect L/R speakers to SA.
-Select the input on the SA that you just connected the AVR to and set volume at 12 o'clock or 50% (easy reference point).
-Complete calibration of the surround on the AVR so that all levels are set accurately.

Going forward, whenever you use the AVR you need to ensure the relevant input is selected on the SA and volume set to 12 o'clock/50%.

To get the benefit of a separate stereo amp you should then connect sources like a CD player to the SA so that the AVR is not part of the chain and you have a bog standard stereo set up. (Be mindful to adjust the volume).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts