Is there a hack for the Sony BDPS360 to make it multi-reg for DVD ?

deanosborn1

Dec 14, 2007
Visit site
Sorry if it has been mentioned in another thread on here but I couldn't see it.

Does anyone know if there is a hack that I can input to make a Sony BDPS 360 Blu-Ray player multi region for DVD ? - or do I have to buy it pre hacked from the company selling it?

Thanks

Dean

manicm

I've just bought mine here in SA and didn't require any hacks, plays all my DVDs including Region 1s I bought from Amazon US.

Fantastic player - why not just go instore with your discs and test?

deanosborn1

Dec 14, 2007
Visit site
manicm:

I've just bought mine here in SA and didn't require any hacks, plays all my DVDs including Region 1s I bought from Amazon US.

Fantastic player - why not just go instore with your discs and test?

Thanks - where is SA ??

I live in the UK.

cheers

Dean

manicm

Um hang on, I might be jumping the gun.

Until I get an LCD next month I'm using my old CRT through composite video, there might be region restrictions through HDMI - check with your dealer still.

A

Anonymous

I think the 360 is multi region for DVD, mine works with region 1 and 2.

manicm

bigboss:

No, it's unlikely to be multiregion for DVDs out of the box unless they have specified it to you. There are different ways of making your Sony S360 multiregion which are discussed in other forums.

The easiest way to do it is by this.

No, this seems an easy way to make money - and you're saying two of us on this thread are wrong??

Andrew, Clare - as far as I know no selling on this site? (Your 'report abuse' link ain't working).

manicm

sheehanjuk:

greez isnt the guy trying to help?? poor show

11 quid is not an inconsiderable sum for a hack that a) may not be required (as 2 of us on this thread can testify) b) may or may not work. c) that can go a long way to simply buying the DVD or Blu-ray.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
manicm:
No, this seems an easy way to make money - and you're saying two of us on this thread are wrong??

Andrew, Clare - as far as I know no selling on this site? (Your 'report abuse' link ain't working).

That is by far the strangest post I've seen in a long time. Someone asks for a hack, which is not exactly officially supported as it is there to protect the studios movie release schedules etc. and someone kindly replies with a link to one and gets reported to Mummy! Pleeeeeaaaase! I have no idea if the ebay hack works or not but it certainly did not merit that response.

If you visit Richer Sounds' website, just to give you an example, you will find two versions on sale. The MR version costs £20 more.

It can be done by using a universal One4All remote. You can find the details on the web if you search.

manicm:sheehanjuk:

greez isnt the guy trying to help?? poor show

11 quid is not an inconsiderable sum for a hack that a) may not be required (as 2 of us on this thread can testify) b) may or may not work. c) that can go a long way to simply buying the DVD or Blu-ray.

Ok, first of all I'm not here to promote selling things. You can check my previous posts which confirm the same. Secondly, £11 is not a huge amount (especially considering you get £2.50 back when you return the remote). I know that this remote works because I've used it myself. Richer Sounds & Multiregion magic sell blu-ray players which are multiregioned for DVDs, at a £20 premium over the non-multiregioned players. Thirdly, if a person has asked a question about making his blu-ray player play multi-region DVDs, obviously it means that his player currently is not multiregioned.

You live in SA, where you may get blu-ray players which are already multiregioned for DVDs. But here in UK, it is region 2 locked unless they specify that it is multiregioned.

Hope this clears things.

manicm

And in that very first link someone said it doesn't work!

I just think these things do no favours to newbies or first-timers, and is just a way of lightening them of 12 quid.

This topic and OP is specifically about the BDP-S360, and genfish - who resided in UK - has confirmed his 360 plays region 1s out of the box.

Let the OP take a test disc to his local dealer and test before unnecessarily lightening his wallet.

Let's not get argumentative about this - I stand by my stance.

manicm

d4v3pum4:manicm:

That is by far the strangest post I've seen in a long time. Someone asks for a hack, which is not exactly officially supported as it is there to protect the studios movie release schedules etc. and someone kindly replies with a link to one and gets reported to Mummy! Pleeeeeaaaase! I have no idea if the ebay hack works or not but it certainly did not merit that response.

If you visit Richer Sounds' website, just to give you an example, you will find two versions on sale. The MR version costs £20 more. It can be done by using a universal One4All remote. You can find the details on the web if you search.

Well then I'd rather the OP shell out 20 quid for and official MR version and peace of mind than 12 quid that may give him regrets.

manicm:

And in that very first link someone said it doesn't work!

I just think these things do no favours to newbies or first-timers, and is just a way of lightening them of 12 quid.

This topic and OP is specifically about the BDP-S360, and genfish - who resided in UK - has confirmed his 360 plays region 1s out of the box.

Let the OP take a test disc to his local dealer and test before unnecessarily lightening his wallet.

Can you have a bit of patience & read that thread completely? That same person has said that it worked.

If you read the other threads, you'll know that players sold in UK do not come multiregioned for DVDs unless they specify it.

Why will Richer Sounds charge £20 extra for a Sony S360 which is multiregioned for DVDs if all sellers sell it multiregioned as well?? Check this link: http://www.richersounds.com/productlistmanu/HDDVD/SONY/1

This forum is about suggesting ways to save money. If you don't want to take the risk, by all means, buy a player which is already multiregioned for DVDs & pay the extra premium. If you want to make it multiregion for free, there are other forums which specifically discuss this. Obviously, that's a bit complicated because it involves inputing hex codes.

When I was in the market to buy either the Panasonic BD60 or the Sony S360, I called up Sony Centre in Meadowhall if they could make it multiregion for me if I buy the player from them, after confirming that they only sell region 2 locked players. They refused to multiregion it.

With regards to genfish, can he confirm where he bought his player from, & is the US DVD he tried definitely region 1 locked, or region 0? You can buy blu-ray players which are multiregioned for DVDs legally in UK, at a premuim price.

Search this forum. This topic has been discussed (about players being region locked) extensively. Sony is a frontrunner in making its players region locked. They're so strict, no one has yet been able to make the PS3 play multiregion DVDs despite the PS3 being around for a few years now. That's the exact reason I bought a Panasonic player despite having a PS3.

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/1/281847/ShowThread.aspx

A

Anonymous

Sony have always been poor when it comes to consumer-side bonuses such as multi-region. Over the years, the vast majority of their dvd players have only been multi-regionable with some difficulty, comparatively speaking. In contrast, most other big-name players in this market (Panasonic et al) have taken the contrary, consumer-friendly stance on supplying the market what the market wants to buy, not what corporate carve-ups and the profiteering industry want us to have available (hello Sony again).

Have to agree, that was a poor response from the OP to the help offered.

manicm

Look bigboss et al - I maintain you're being argumentative for the sake of it and not helping the OP at all.

1. If genfish had a US model he would have stated it.

2. We both have the BDP-S360, I bought mine on Sat, it is clearly marked as Region 2 at the back, I'm dead sure it's exactly the same model UK receives, and, right out of the box with no remote fiddling whatsoever it plays my clearly marked Region 1 animated movie Spirited Away which I bought 5 years ago from Amazon US cos a R2 version was not available anywhere at the time and Amazon UK did not stock it at all. (5 years ago I had my Pioneer DVD player hacked by the distributor here in SA, which they gladly did for me through software).

3. I will recommend to the OP again that he consult his dealer before throwing money, however little, at a hack.

A

Anonymous

I bought a Sony S360 last month, and it was locked to region 2. I could not play my region 1 discs on it. You can do a hack with your Logitech Harmony remote as well. Google it, & you'll find a solution.

Reading this forum, I can see that manicm is the most argumentative, rather than the others. Bigboss is only trying to help and giving a solution. Sony players are sold locked to region 2 in UK.

I have nothing else to say really. It is obvious that my suggestions are only if the blu-ray player is region 2 locked. It will be stupid for anyone to buy the remote hack without even checking if their player is locked or not. I have also clearly mentioned in my posts that you can buy a region free player legally in UK, which genfish may have. He does not have to buy a US player for multiregion. If he has got the player thinking it's region locked & is found to be unlocked....well....he's lucky.

I can't comment anything about players in South Africa, & I find it strange for someone to argue about whether players sold in UK are region free or not, when they themselves don't live here, just on the basis of 1 post of a person who is not even sure his player is region free (remember that many US discs are region free), & ignoring all other posts and threads which state the contrary! Why have there been loads of discussions in this forum if players sold here were region free?

A

Anonymous

manicm:

manicm:

Look bigboss et al - I maintain you're being argumentative for the sake of it and not helping the OP at all.

This is funny! You're actually arguing & telling others not to argue, while also saying that you're not going to budge from your position!!
emotion-2.gif

And you claim that others are not helping the OP!! Your first reaction to bigboss's post is very strange.....trying to complain a helpful post. Your other posts seem to have been written in haste, without even reading complete posts or threads. Are you helping the OP then?

A

Anonymous

manicm:

1. If genfish had a US model he would have stated it.
This is correct, i bought it from Amazon UK.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys;

here is a nice information available I want to share with u.

Thanks;

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts