Is the Velodyne spl 1200 Ultra a good match with Tannoy Signature Revolution DC6T ?

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I am currently running a Tannoy TS12 with my Tannoy Signature Revolution set up. And I do not feel the TS12 is doing the system justice, muddy slow, wooly bas under the crip focused sound of the DC6T speakers. I just wondered if the Velodyne SPL1200 Ultra would be the best way to go, or would a subwoofer of this calibre blow the rest of the system away ??

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I used to own the SPL 1200R which is not that different. It was a stunning sub for the money, but prices for the Ultra series have gone up ( due to £ vs $ ).
It will underpin the sound exceedingly well, but it is expensive.

Can you consider the 1000 Ultra or even 800 Ultra (smaller room). The Paradigm Seismic 110 is great or the SVS SB-13 is great VFM.

Cno

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Is it that a 12" driver is not needed in a lsmaller room thus being a waste of money or is it that the smaller sub would actally sound better ? My room is quite large but the listening area is only about half the room - room is 24ft x 12ft I have just always had the theory that the larger the driver the lower it will go ?? I used to own a 8" sub and it struggled with anything below around 30 hz although my ts12 is a little on the slow side it's even bass response goes down to 22hz. I'm just after something tighter more focused sounding but very deep !!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, generally speaking, the bigger the diameter of the woofer, and the larger the cabinet, the lower the sub will go. It's all about shifting air.

Strong modern materials, matched with very powerful Class D amps (1000W+), mean that small subs from the likes of Velodyne can be unfeasibly powerful.

Some of the bigger sizes go below what you can hear into "feeling level". For most people a high quality small sub (like the Seismic 110), is enough in a small to small/medium sized room.

A small sub in a large room has just to big an area to fill.

Personally, I think in a room that size you are probably right in looking at a 12" sub.....the SVS SB-13(built in EQ) is probably the best VFM at the moment at £1200

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts