Ive now less to spend on an Subwoofer - Advice Please ?

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I had my heart set on a MA GXW15 subwoofer but it now seems funds will not strech that far and it looks like £1200 is going to be the limit! SO now looking at either the B & W PV1D or the Velodyne SPL 1000 Ultra. It wil be for both Movies and Music run from a Pineer SC-LX85, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, DC6 LCR and DC4 Rear. In a room 20Ft x 20 ft

Which do you think would intagrate into my system and give me the true deep smooth bass im after that my current Tannoy TS12 cannot do for me...

Thanks

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
umbucker said:
I had my heart set on a MA GXW15 subwoofer but it now seems funds will not strech that far and it looks like £1200 is going to be the limit! SO now looking at either the B & W PV1D or the Velodyne SPL 1000 Ultra. It wil be for both Movies and Music run from a Pineer SC-LX85, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, DC6 LCR and DC4 Rear. In a room 20Ft x 20 ft Which do you think would intagrate into my system and give me the true deep smooth bass im after that my current Tannoy TS12 cannot do for me... Thanks

Save yourself some money and go for either the BK Monolith or the Monolith +, depending on model and veneer finish you should be somehere between £475 and £600.

Check their web site out for all the details but I can asure you that they are top notch for the money with a genuine 20Hz response if you are looking for deep bass.

If you prefer a sealed box solution then the B XXLS400 is also very good, maybe a touch faster than the Monolith range but does not go quite so deep and with less grunt and room pressure, but also very good

We have had the Monolith for just over a year now, amazing piece of kit, and I still grin widely when it is asked to do the business.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your advice but after loads of research I have finally got it down to these 2, so its just a case now of narrowing it down to one from the above.

A

Anonymous

hi if your surrounding air is windy, and you need to wake up early in the first seismic jingle, then go and seek rel, the cheap T seriesmust be protected from shakin your floor, its SQ of effect, and enough flat frequency response, you only complain this to WWII chinese subwoofer maker.

I enjoy mine, good luck

A

Anonymous

mines is 21 HZ, my memmory at least, i can't remember feeling a hertz, they pay me thru my top notch discount bargaining WW skill, hahaha

A

Anonymous

but if you are looking for a word in pv1 's classes, then REL b# would destroy it in SPL, no overhang at all, PV is gass gussler, SQ too, no doubt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure there's much to choose between them. The Velodyne might be more powerful, but I think you'd be happy with either.

A

Anonymous

Yes agree with that, , try both at your room, n count the interaction, its fun!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Your room is certainly on the large side, about 50% greater area than my parlour. From the reviews in What Hi-Fi and in Home Cinema Choice, both the two subwoofers that you prefer are really very good. I just don't know what is the maximum room size that they would be comfortable with. You'll see that I also own Tannoy TS12 subwoofers, which I do like, but I recognise their limitations and perhaps your room is simply a bit too big for the TS12? You won't thank me for this, but if you can get hold of a physical copy of the May 2012 issue of What Hi-Fi, on page 62 is a group test of six subwoofers, including the B&W PV1D, which they did like and in their opinion won the test. However, the Jamo D600 is also just within your budget and seems a very serious device, with a fast 15” driver. I can speak now from my own experience, and when I got my SVS PC-12 Plus subwoofer in March, I immediately noticed the increase in both power and depth in my power over the single Tannoy TS12 that it replaced. LSound in Norway were confident that the SVS would have more than enough power for my room, hence I feel that it would be fine for your, larger, room also. You can now get it (rather cheaper than I did!) from Frank Harvey Hi-Fi in Coventry. Lastly, you could consider buying two of the current top domestic Tannoy subwoofer, the TS2.12. Your Pioneer SC-LX85 has two subwoofer preout terminals. Certainly I can confirm that when I went from a single Tannoy TS12 subwoofer in the kitchen to using two, the all-round improvement was noticeable. Two of the new Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers would still be within your budget and would fill your rather large room. Believe me, I'm only trying to help!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to add, if you really are set on the MA GXW15, why not wait a while and save up for it. After all you dont want to look back and ask yourself "what if". Better yet test all 3, you may be surprised that the others work better in your room and if they dont then wait.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
How about 2 x BK Monolith +

That would spend your £1200, give you more bass than you know what to do with, and well.......... be a lot of fun. They used to make the REL subwoofers for Richard Lord, so know what they are talking about. I bought their smallest model for my father; good value, works well, looks good. The bigger models get cracking reviews; they would be my first port of call in your situation (well OK, I might settle for just one of them).

You are not me though, and you've already said you don't want to consider them. So my apologies; for once I couldn't resist the temptation to ignore your question in favour of the one I think you should have asked (it gets to everyone who hangs about in hi-fi Forums eventually!)

A

Anonymous

What about an ex demo GXW15 with warranty for £895. I was going to buy it myself but changed my mind. Is there not a way to send you a pm with details?
Graham

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:
umbucker said:
I had my heart set on a MA GXW15 subwoofer but it now seems funds will not strech that far and it looks like £1200 is going to be the limit! SO now looking at either the B & W PV1D or the Velodyne SPL 1000 Ultra. It wil be for both Movies and Music run from a Pineer SC-LX85, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, DC6 LCR and DC4 Rear. In a room 20Ft x 20 ft Which do you think would intagrate into my system and give me the true deep smooth bass im after that my current Tannoy TS12 cannot do for me... Thanks

Save yourself some money and go for either the BK Monolith or the Monolith +, depending on model and veneer finish you should be somehere between £475 and £600.

Check their web site out for all the details but I can asure you that they are top notch for the money with a genuine 20Hz response if you are looking for deep bass.

If you prefer a sealed box solution then the B XXLS400 is also very good, maybe a touch faster than the Monolith range but does not go quite so deep and with less grunt and room pressure, but also very good

We have had the Monolith for just over a year now, amazing piece of kit, and I still grin widely when it is asked to do the business.

Second this suggestion - an XLS400 is an awesome sub, seriously fast for music and will rumble you more than enough + its easy to tame with a DSPeaker Antimode - dont forget one of these - essential bits of sub kit

All I can say is a Mono must be savage as an XLS400 on about 1/3 power gives a lot of bass

Also dont forget sub performance is 80% room placement - 20% actual £££££ spent - more money spent on a sub will not mean better bass if its in the wrong place in your room

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts