Is the Sony BDP-S360 a worthwhile upgrade from PS3?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, the question's in the title... will I see a discernable improvement in sound and picture quality using the standalone BDP-S360 compared with my PS3 (which currently serves as a Blu-ray player)? With the reported price crash at Richer Sounds as of Boxing Day, can this be considered a worthwhile upgrade? Both WHF staff and forum members perspectives please!

note: this will accompany a Panasonic 42" G10 plasma, Onkyo (sadly not HD decoding) receiver, and B&W 600 series speaker system. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Considering the fact that your Onkyo isn't able to bitstream, wouldn't you require a blu-ray player with multichannel analogue outputs to enjoy HD sound?

The Sony BDP-S360 does not have these.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The S360 is slightly smoother for motion and (compared to the original PS3) allows you option of bitstreaming audio via HDMI to a receiver capable of decoding HD audio even more efficiently; though the latter isn't relevant to you.

I'd be more inclined to shop for either a better receiver OR a Blu-ray player with multichannel analogue outs (all of which are the level that should also best your PS3's picture quality) to make the most of your current receiver.

A

Anonymous

If you see any improvements to sound and picture quality they will be quite small and as your Onkyo doesnt HD decode so the ability of the S360 to bitstream will not make any difference. One advantage a standalone player has over the PS3 is they consume about a third of the electricity so you bill could go down a bit.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The S760 I can understand, but the S560 offers the same performance as the S360, and still no multichannel analogue outs; only benefit is the wi-fi connectivity.
emotion-40.gif

matthewpiano

Clare Newsome:The S760 I can understand, but the S560 offers the same performance as the S360, and still no multichannel analogue outs; only benefit is the wi-fi connectivity.
emotion-40.gif

Should have elaborated - the '560 if you also plan to upgrade the receiver, or the '760 if you don't.

Personally I think the wi-fi connectivity is well worth having and I wish I had a '560 instead of my '363 for this very reason.

A

Anonymous

will upgrading of the hdmi cable to a premium product have any improvements?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies one and all.

My question was really inspired by the possibility of picking up a BDP-S360 for a mere £79, which sounds like a steal if it offers marked improvements in audio and picture quality. As a postgrad student on a relatively limited bursary, I really can't afford to upgrade my amplifier, or shell out for a more expensive Blu-ray player that would allow HD audio decoding via my current receiver (shame). I may still buy the BDP-S360 with an overall plan to upgrade my receiver in the future, though...

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:
Thanks for the replies one and all.

My question was really inspired by the possibility of picking up a BDP-S360 for a mere £79, which sounds like a steal if it offers marked improvements in audio and picture quality. As a postgrad student on a relatively limited bursary, I really can't afford to upgrade my amplifier, or shell out for a more expensive Blu-ray player that would allow HD audio decoding via my current receiver (shame). I may still buy the BDP-S360 with an overall plan to upgrade my receiver in the future, though...

Improvements in picture quality will be marginal. However, sound quality would be a marked improvement, but considering your amp, that is academic.

If you can get hold of a 360 (limited units, I'm sure) at that price - expect a long queue and probably waiting outside the store as early as 6.30am, that would be a fantastic deal nevertheless.

robstar63

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I have just bought a BDPS560 to upgrade from PS3. I partially bought this on the strength of previous comments by Claire about the performance being substantially better than that of a PS3 (from previous thread Sept 09 --- " ,,,,.....That dedicated Sony player is a clear step up from PS3 in terms of sound and picture performance (especially with motion) - you've invested a lot in a superb TV, so it'd be a shame not to get the best out of Blu-ray on your budget.")

I personally have found that the picture quality is of a very similar quality and not disernably better and have been dissapointed. However I am now able to use the Bitstreaming abilities of my ONKYO 605 and the sound is better decoded by the receiver and it is nice to have the wording on the display indicating that DTS Master Audio or True HD is being played

I would not change to an S360 purely for picture benefits as I think you would be dissapointed (560 is same as S360 in picture terms) and you would be wasting your hard earned. Regards

matthewpiano

PJPro:What can it do over wifi? Firmware upgrades and a bit of online BR content? Or is it more than that?

But if your internet router is the other side of the property to your TV system, the wireless functionaility is invaluable.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
robstar63:
I have just bought a BDPS560 to upgrade from PS3. I partially bought this on the strength of previous comments by Claire about the performance being substantially better than that of a PS3 (from previous thread Sept 09 --- " ,,,,.....That dedicated Sony player is a clear step up from PS3 in terms of sound and picture performance (especially with motion) - you've invested a lot in a superb TV, so it'd be a shame not to get the best out of Blu-ray on your budget.")

I personally have found that the picture quality is of a very similar quality and not disernably better and have been dissapointed. However I am now able to use the Bitstreaming abilities of my ONKYO 605 and the sound is better decoded by the receiver and it is nice to have the wording on the display indicating that DTS Master Audio or True HD is being played

I would not change to an S360 purely for picture benefits as I think you would be dissapointed (560 is same as S360 in picture terms) and you would be wasting your hard earned. Regards

Sorry you don't feel you've gained a lot; I can only report what we've seen and heard in testing. The better the screen, the more beneifts (particularly with motion) should be apparant. Decent HDMI cable being used, I assume?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I had a side-by-side demo of the BDP-S760 VS my PS3 and must say to picture was a vast improvement on the S760 over the PS3, far better motion and a much cleaner and sharper image in all respects.

I promptly placed one atop of my Crimbo list as also owning a older non-HDMI equiped amp I will be able to use the multi-channel outputs and finally get HD sound, so hoping I am not on Santa's naughty list as I have just invested in some decent cables for the multichannel conection!
emotion-19.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:

I had a side-by-side demo of the BDP-S760 VS my PS3 and must say to picture was a vast improvement on the S760 over the PS3, far better motion and a much cleaner and sharper image in all respects.

I promptly placed one atop of my Crimbo list as also owning a older non-HDMI equiped amp I will be able to use the multi-channel outputs and finally get HD sound, so hoping I am not on Santa's naughty list as I have just invested in some decent cables for the multichannel conection!
emotion-19.gif

similar results for me - just recently bought the 760 - picture is better epecially motion/panning/depth and detail (i use a 106inch screen) but for me it was the improvement in sound that really grabbed me - just sounds so much fuller - use an 876 for the decoding rather than previously letting the ps3 do it internally.

A

Anonymous

I picked up the 360 to replace my ps3's duties of playing bluray. Sadly, the sony does not handshake well with my onkyo 605 amp and all i got was snowy screen for a few minutes before playing a disc, and thats if it played at all. Absolutely gutted, seems as everywhere is discounting this player. May be considering a BD60 if its any better than ps3......time for some reading and demos

A

Anonymous

I wonder why the Sony BDP-S360 is going for pittance now, considering that it is a new model. It's impossible to find anyone NOT DISCOUNTING this blu-ray player.

The BD35 and BD60 at Richer Sounds is selling for a higher price! With most retailers, these are still holding their price well, considering they are 'old' units.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
ValianTX:
I wonder why the Sony BDP-S360 is going for pittance now, considering that it is a new model. It's impossible to find anyone NOT DISCOUNTING this blu-ray player.

The BD35 and BD60 at Richer Sounds is selling for a higher price! With most retailers, these are still holding their price well, considering they are 'old' units.

Fairly simple rule of economics - something is selling well so a retailer discounts it to encourage people to buy from them, not others. Soon all retailers are discounting to ensure they don't get left out. Also, because of the higher number of units being manufactured, the manufacturer can reduce the costs of producing the units, allowing them to lower the price and retailers can pass this saving on without affecting their markup.

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:

Well, the question's in the title... will I see a discernable improvement in sound and picture quality using the standalone BDP-S360 compared with my PS3 (which currently serves as a Blu-ray player)? With the reported price crash at Richer Sounds as of Boxing Day, can this be considered a worthwhile upgrade? Both WHF staff and forum members perspectives please!

note: this will accompany a Panasonic 42" G10 plasma, Onkyo (sadly not HD decoding) receiver, and B&W 600 series speaker system. Thanks.

I had a PS3. Good all round machine - games etc, but blu-ray is not as good as my bd55 player. Better motion, sharpness and colours.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:ValianTX:

Fairly simple rule of economics - something is selling well so a retailer discounts it to encourage people to buy from them, not others. Soon all retailers are discounting to ensure they don't get left out. Also, because of the higher number of units being manufactured, the manufacturer can reduce the costs of producing the units, allowing them to lower the price and retailers can pass this saving on without affecting their markup.

Thank you for your explanation, Prof. This somehow contradicts the economics I learnt in school, i.e. when supply > demand = price goes down, and conversely, when demand > supply = price goes up.

Your explanation relates to the economies of scale, which makes sense too, from a production perspective. So, if Richer Sounds has excess stock of BD35/BD60 players, shouldn't these be priced lower than the S360 to ensure they sell? They are however priced higher.

Phil77

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Got the Sony s360 running on my Yamaha RXV 2600 Reciever its pushing 1080p/24fps through the hdmi and also HD sound i'm well chuffed with it...

A

Anonymous

Had the 360 for about a week, found the picture and sound better than the PS3, not what people would call night and day better just slightly sharper picture and better sound.

Also meant if my son took he"s PS3 to his bedroom i still had a blu ray player in the lounge.
emotion-2.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well here at CES, Sony has just confirmed that the PS3 will be firmware-upgradeable to play 3D Blu-rays, as well as 3D games - that's a BIG plus back in the PS3's favour!

TRENDING THREADS