Is the Plinius 9200 amp phono stage compatible with low output MC catridges?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anybody out there own a Plinius 9200 amp and a turntable with a low output MC catridge?

I have recieved very conflicting advice from dealers about whether the Plinius phono stage is compatible with low output MC cartridges and if you have to change the jumpers (inside the amp) to adjust the gain - I just want to avoid making a very expensive mistake. My shortlist includes the Grado Reference MC and Dynavextor 20X catridges.

Any thoughts/advice most welcome

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Its got, AFAIA, 2 gain settings. 66db and 60db. so should be fine with most carts. But my advice would be to buy a seperate phonostage with a good selection of gain / load settings,you will be set up for any cart that takes your fancy then.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, I must admit I am a little disappointed if having bought the 9200 amp I can't use the best cartridges with it. The WHF review specifically mentioned that the phono stage was great, so I was not expecting to shell out even more money on a phono amp. I must admit this is making it more likely I go with the Grado Reference which has received rave reviews, is actually a MM cartridge and therefore is high output.

If anybody out there thinks I'm still going the wrong route let me know

Thanks

A

Anonymous

im a big fan of grado cartridges and cant understand why their almost unknown in the uk

their sound is unlike ortofon in that they sacrifice a touch of detail in the treble for a rich midrange and full bass but that seems to go well with a lot of vinyl

if your in doubt try one of the cheaper grados the red is a bit of a bargain

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts