The Cambridge Audio Azur 640P MC/MM phono preamplifier - apologies to all

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought the above phono preamp expressly to use with my new cartridge, the Denon DL103, as it is purportedly MC capable. However, as I wrote to Cambridge Audio:

"Put simply, I have to crank the volume up on my amplifier to achieve similar volume to the MM cartridge, roughly 1 o'clock on the dial. Your FAQ indicates you have to turn the volume up slightly, but in my case I'm doubling it.

The problem is that the output from the DL 103 is too low for the 640P. I've compared the 640p with other preamps and am certain this is the case."

They replied:

"The Denon- whilst a classic- has an output that is designed for use with a step up transformer and a moving magnet stage as was convention in the 60's. The 640P is designed to be a best fit with more modern designs with a higher output. If the 640P was designed with the Denon in mind, it would affect the performance with many other cartridge types. The best action would be to use a step up into the moving magnet input although I concede this is not an especially cheap option."

In other words, despite the 640P being described as MC, in fact it is only suitable for certain higher output MC cartridges, and the problem with lower output cartridges is well known within Cambridge Audio. They choose not to advertise the fact, however. If they had done so, I would never have bought the item to begin with.

It's also worth pointing out other manufacturers manage to supply phono preamps that work with MCs of all output levels, including the Denon 103 series.

I bought the 640P in good faith, but it is unusable. I suggested a full refund. They suggested I contact the dealer.

My feeling is that it is Cambridge Audio who are entirely responsible for this. They are knowingly selling an item which does not work with certain low output MC cartridges but do not state clearly that this is the case.

Thanks to them I have invested 110€ in a redundant item. I'll be pursuing this further, but, in the meantime, be warned! If you have an MC cartridge and are thinking of buying the 640P, at the very least check with Cambridge Audio that it is compatible, or, preferably in my view, look elsewhere.

A

Anonymous

Yes, clearly my fault entirely. Should I buy some more to make it up to them? Fancy being taken in by the MC thing!

I suggest withholding comments, as in the end it is neither myself, nor WHF staff, nor CA who will decide this issue. I posted this topic in the spirit of caveat emptor, and that still stands. You need to check before buying this piece of equipment, as I said.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:Yes, clearly my fault entirely. Should I buy some more to make it up to them? Fancy being taken in by the MC thing!

Ridiculously petulant response. I merely pointed out that the specification is clearly published, so that one may check before buying. But clearly you're tilting at windmills on a crusade, so I'll leave it there...

John Duncan

Tarquinh:You need to check before buying this piece of equipment, as I said.

Actually, you said to 'look elsewhere', which I think for many people is a poor piece of advice, which is why I put a question mark on the end, that we might perhaps enter a constructive debate on the subject. But never mind...

JoelSim:

To be fair, unless you really know your onions on specs, it's a bit of a blow. Hope you can exchange it.

If you don't know your onions, then you should ask and keep bloody asking until you are satisfied, or have full understanding at least - or has the old fashioned art of communicating now been consigned to the knackers yard?

A

Anonymous

Well, another day, my temper cooler, so I revisited the CA 640P. Same problem - almost inaudible until I cranked the volume way way up. Then something struck me about the sound. It wasn't just the low volume, but, now that I came to listen closely, something was missing. I put on "Love Over Gold", and, sure enough, the same thing. Mark Knopfler's guitar was there, but strangely muted, and his voice sounded like it was coming thinly from the studio next door.

I pulled out the Denon manual, checked the connections, and they were all as per the diagram in the manual. Now, I work in French all day long so I checked the wiring according to the French instructions. I was about to close the booklet when the English caught my eye. The labels for the English were transposed. What the French indicated as left channel hot was, according to the English, right channel earth and right channel earth was left channel hot. I changed the wiring according to the English labels.

It's obviously far too late to worry about contacting Denon about this elementary mistake in their documentation (p3 of their instructions, if anyone is interested), so instead I'd like to apologise to Cambridge Audio for raising this topic, misleading people however innocently and causing them embarrassment, and to WHF staff for being unnecessarily rude. I should have spent more time trying to work out the cause of the problem, and I didn't.

Suffice to say volume is back, as is Mark Knopfler.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:I pulled out the Denon manual, checked the connections, and they were all as per the diagram in the manual. Now, I work in French all day long so I checked the wiring according to the French instructions. I was about to close the booklet when the English caught my eye. The labels for the English were transposed. What the French indicated as left channel hot was, according to the English, right channel earth and right channel earth was left channel hot. I changed the wiring according to the English labels.

A lefthand drive manual, maybe?
emotion-5.gif
Anyway, glad you got it resolved...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts