Is the PlayStation3 a viable alternative to a dedicated Blu-Ray player ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
First off - to clarify the subject, I'm not suggesting that the PS3 could ever compete with high-end BD kit.

My LG BD370 player died over the weekend, and whilst seeking out reviews of the Sony BDSP370 and '570 models, I suddenly thought - what about the PS3 ?

With the Sony official Blu-ray remote, and assuming the new "Slim" form factor, is the PS3 a genuine peer to these other Sony models ?

Would the console's noise distract from movie soundtracks ? As an XBox360 owner, I know that choosing to watch DVDs on Microsoft's console is far from ideal with the fan whirring away.

Is the Blu-ray loading process on the PS3 as simple as "open,insert disc,run" , or is the console's interface going to slow that down by requiring user intervention ?

Appreciate any thoughts you'd care to share. Obviously, I would make use of the console's gaming capabilities as well, but it probably won't be the primary use.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I have the FAT PS3. Its very good with bluray, fast loading times etc

But the S370 is better for both picture and sound. So if its only really for Bluray, id go with the 370

A

Anonymous

I also use the a Fat PS3 for my Blu-rays. It requires minimum user input as you just insert the disc and providing you select 'auto start up' in settings it will do just that. You can also use the PS3 controller as opposed to buying a dedicated remote. A dedicated player will probably be the best option if you are after top end results but otherwise a PS3 performs well enough.

I have read somewhere (on this forum) there are a couple of issues with HD audio after the 3D upgrade to the PS3 happened so it might be worth a quick search.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i have had every iteration of ps3.. and i'd say if you are having one beside your tv - the latest model slim is a good bet.. the only problems i've ever had with the ps3 is fan noise.. i currently have a original launch 60gb, but its housed in a press in the next room with temp controlled fans cooling the cabinet.. i run a HDMI lead through the walll to my tv, and control it with a logitech harmony ps3 adapter, so i can use my harmony 1100 to control everything.. the ps3 is a fine blu-ray player.. i wouldnt say any player has noticably better picture quality with blu-ray... most reviews would agree that picture quality is consistent across players.. the ps3 is also a fantastic upcaler... so if you still watch a lot of dvds it great for them.. its also a pretty neat media centre.. yes its not the greatest with 3d... its slower to load 3d films than dedicated players.. and you cant get hd losseless audio from 3d discs.. but with the lack of content out there i wouldnt let that sway your decision.. the ps3 is still one of the quicker players out there to load.. it really comes down to preference.. i have a panasonic bdt300 that came with my tv.. i like having a player under the tv i can use.. and its virtually silent..and does 3d and lossless audio with it.. the main reason i went for it was the dual hdmi out which let me keep my non hdmi 1.4 amp..

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The PS3 remains a very good Blu Ray player, though it can be bettered for little outlay (the Sony BDP-S370 being the obvious choice). If your priority is watching films, a dedicated Blu Ray player is probably the way to go.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I looked into this lately, and ultimately got a standalone player.

There were various reviews and opinions some stating that the PS3 is a great player, some that it is good, but not as good as dedicated players. I've never compared side-by-side.

Ultimately the PS3 is now slower than the latest standalone players, potentially not as good for picture and sound, more expensive, a bit noiser, (though not sure it's an actual problem), and doesn't really do anything media-wise the new players can't do unless you want the built in HD.

Hence I went standalone at about £200. I can always add an XBox 360 for a couple of hundred later if I wanted to, but if not I've saved and got better actual BluRay features. To me, having thought round it for quite a bit unless you're definitely wanting to get into gaming fairly seriously on the PS3 it doesn't make that much sense these days. Remember, eventually the PS£ will be out of date as a games machine, and it's been around a while now.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
kinda:
Ultimately the PS3 is now slower than the latest standalone players, potentially not as good for picture and sound, more expensive, a bit noiser, (though not sure it's an actual problem), and doesn't really do anything media-wise the new players can't do unless you want the built in HD.

The one thing I do love about the PS3 is when viewing photos. Its far better then my S370 and makes looking at family photos etc a joy

I also like that I can store HD content etc to its hardrive. Again, something the S370 cant (Although I hate that theyre both limited to FAT32 formats)

And to be fair, most people (The general none hifi population) probably wouldnt tell a difference between a PS3 and a S370 for performance

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I just wanted to add that the s370 might not be the fastest Blu-ray player around. Since mine installed the latest firmware, it now displays "wait" for more then a minute when I put the thing on and it doesn't even want to open or close the drive as long as that "wait" is displayed.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the comments above folks, very balanced opinions that make a lot of sense. The S370 certainly seems like very good value, given the reviews of its performance that I've read. The S570 model seems to be equally good, but has added features like wi-fi which I like - but then again so does the PS3 Slim....

If only Sony were offering their "VAT back" deal on PS3s the decision would be a no-brainer :)

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
As a dedicated hardcore gamer and film buff, i own both onsoles from launch and the only time i ever use my PS3 is for films late at night in the bedroom i would definetly get a stand alone player the Sony S370 will be fine.Save your money for those fantastic exclusive tiles like Halo and Gears of War 3, Fable 3 etc or some decent blu-rays.Only reason ive still got my PS3 is for the backward capibility for playing PS2 games and the storage device.Also don't forget the Kinect im sure the price will drop on that and it's great fun and physically demanding so im sure youll also get your daily exercise as well as it being fun.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Wooks:

First off - to clarify the subject, I'm not suggesting that the PS3 could ever compete with high-end BD kit.

My LG BD370 player died over the weekend, and whilst seeking out reviews of the Sony BDSP370 and '570 models, I suddenly thought - what about the PS3 ?

With the Sony official Blu-ray remote, and assuming the new "Slim" form factor, is the PS3 a genuine peer to these other Sony models ?

Would the console's noise distract from movie soundtracks ? As an XBox360 owner, I know that choosing to watch DVDs on Microsoft's console is far from ideal with the fan whirring away.

Is the Blu-ray loading process on the PS3 as simple as "open,insert disc,run" , or is the console's interface going to slow that down by requiring user intervention ?

Appreciate any thoughts you'd care to share. Obviously, I would make use of the console's gaming capabilities as well, but it probably won't be the primary use.

I use the PS3 slim at the moment and I am very very happy with it. I will only consider a dedicated player in future when they make a bigger difference that really make them worth it. You need to take into account that with PS3 you can:

- Play blueray with very good quality.

- Play games.

- Receive updates for future technology (ex. 3D).

- Store and play music

- Store and play films

- View photos with very nice aplications

- Install applications such as Videozone and surely in future there will be others.

- Browse the internet

- View any series, or tv from internet, ex. from sites like seriesyonkis.com etc.

I am always very frustrated with many purchases I have made in the hi-fi world but this has been a 10 score purchase.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes,

PS3 is a competent Bluray player, but will cost £100+ more than your suggested Sony BDP370. It does however come with a lot more features, you need to decide if you will be making use of these extra features.. I later purchased a dedicated Bluray but still use the PS3 a lot. For streaming films, music, photos, game playing, iplayer etc.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I have compared my PS3 again and again to my Panny DMP-BD80 and it really doesn't compare. I 'WANT' the PS3 to be as good as it would suit me to have 1 piece of kit in my living room and standing it up would save shelf space. If it was 90% there i would be happy but its not.

Suggest: Buy lesser hard drive size PS3 in a free game package. So free game/ less total cost of smaller hard drive = comes to around £100 then buy an S370 or Panny BD player. PS3 is great ( take out extended warrantly though) but for BD only its been surpassed.

A

Anonymous

I used to have the 60g fat PS3 and a Panny BD30 blu ray deck. The ps3 was great but not as good as the bd30 in sound and picture department. I dont own the ps3 anymore,nor the bd30 and havent seen the slim in action, but id say go with a dedicated one. But if you're a gamer and think you'll use the gaming facility.......

To be honest I dont think you can really go wrong with either choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts