is the hifi music av world now to complicated

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
the_lhc:Helmut80:
'you audiophiles' really are a strange breed

To whom do you refer? I'm not an audiophile.

nobody in particular. would 'hi-fi enthusiast' be more accurate? Just seems that there are various threads on various different forums at the moment with 'hifi enthusiasts' discussing ways to lure the 'ipod generation' into the world of hifi, and it just makes for very entertaining reading.

manicm

6th.replicant:Appreciate what you're all saying re Blu-ray audio. However, arguably, neither SACD or DVD-A were that much of an advance compared to CD? (FWIW, I love SACD, it's why I grabbed a CD37.) And SACD's cause wasn't helped by various 'respected' h-fi hacks who wrote that they couldn't actually hear any difference 'tween CD and SACD. Oops.

Simply not true. Even if SACD and DVD-A were twice as advanced the general public would not have noticed.

Second, who are these 'hacks' you're referring to? Don't think the WHF folks would appreciate that ha ha. But I followed it closely - on the contrary most 'hacks' found SACD and DVD-A to be substantially better than CD provided the recording and hardware was up to snuff - and many certainly were. (I still maintain that the DVD-A implementation was a dog).

And you seem to forget many are loving their CA650s and other universal boxes. On the other hand, contrary to WHF, I admire Arcam for ditching SACD and DVD-A on their new Blu-ray player and focussing on CD instead, cos the other 2 formats are dead horses really now. Arcam's freebie glitches and high price notwithstanding.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:I think it all went wrong when you no longer had to wind a handle and that new-fangled electricity came in.

The Master of one liners !

manicm

BTW, Neil Young was a DVD-A evangelist and subsequently treated CD as the equivalent of MP3 i.e. with contempt for the little audio infidel.

The old geezer surely now wants to make Blu-ray audio the saviour of all man's ills.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc:6th.replicant: If so, we must agree to visit on different days - heaven forfend we might meet!
emotion-4.gif
emotion-2.gif

Hardly matters does it? It's not like we know what the other looks like, so neither of us would know if we were in the same room. .

Well, when the group of replicants walk in, just count the 6th one from the left. Oh, wait a minute......
emotion-10.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:Helmut80:
'you audiophiles' really are a strange breed
emotion-40.gif

BenLaw:the_lhc:6th.replicant: If so, we must agree to visit on different days - heaven forfend we might meet!
emotion-4.gif
emotion-2.gif

Hardly matters does it? It's not like we know what the other looks like, so neither of us would know if we were in the same room. .

Well, when the group of replicants walk in, just count the 6th one from the left. Oh, wait a minute......
emotion-10.gif

I shall adopt a cunning disguise: over-sized black, AC/DC-emblazoned T-shirt; black George/ASDA jeans (ironed, natch); stick-on ponytail; 1990s-era NHS specs; black hiking-type boots (whatever's sub-£40 on Amazon that week...); a pipe clenched 'tween (grey) teeth; a battered 20-year-old Harrods carrier bag for my brochure collection. The pipe will prove particularly useful for indignant gesticulation while submitting exhibitors to ear-bending sessions.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
manicm:
6th.replicant:...And SACD's cause wasn't helped by various 'respected' h-fi hacks who wrote that they couldn't actually hear any difference 'tween CD and SACD. Oops.

... who are these 'hacks' you're referring to? Don't think the WHF folks would appreciate that ha ha. But I followed it closely - on the contrary most 'hacks' found SACD and DVD-A to be substantially better than CD provided the recording and hardware was up to snuff - and many certainly were. (I still maintain that the DVD-A implementation was a dog)...
As it's all-too easy to trip over this forum's myriad rules 'n' regs, I'll not quote/link publications/articles. But try a Google of 'sacd cd no difference'...
emotion-5.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:I shall adopt a cunning disguise: over-sized black, AC/DC-emblazoned T-shirt; black George/ASDA jeans (ironed, natch); stick-on ponytail; 1990s-era NHS specs; black hiking-type boots (whatever's sub-£40 on Amazon that week...); a pipe clenched 'tween (grey) teeth; a battered 20-year-old Harrods carrier bag for my brochure collection. The pipe will prove particularly useful for indignant gesticulation while submitting exhibitors to ear-bending sessions.

You've been to the show before then?

A

Anonymous

manicm:
BTW, Neil Young was a DVD-A evangelist and subsequently treated CD as the equivalent of MP3 i.e. with contempt for the little audio infidel.

The old geezer surely now wants to make Blu-ray audio the saviour of all man's ills.
Isn't he also a vinyl fan and still uses an LP12? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

manicm

6th.replicant:manicm:

6th.replicant:...And SACD's cause wasn't helped by various 'respected' h-fi hacks who wrote that they couldn't actually hear any difference 'tween CD and SACD. Oops.

... who are these 'hacks' you're referring to? Don't think the WHF folks would appreciate that ha ha. But I followed it closely - on the contrary most 'hacks' found SACD and DVD-A to be substantially better than CD provided the recording and hardware was up to snuff - and many certainly were. (I still maintain that the DVD-A implementation was a dog)... As it's all-too easy to trip over this forum's myriad rules 'n' regs, I'll not quote/link publications/articles. But try a Google of 'sacd cd no difference'...
emotion-5.gif

No respectable publication, UK or otherwise, confirms your findings. Google isn't the be all and end all of knowledge.

manicm

Grottyash:manicm:

Isn't he also a vinyl fan and still uses an LP12? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Don't know, but he's gone on record many times as how he loathes CD, but loved DVD-A.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:6th.replicant:I shall adopt a cunning disguise: over-sized black, AC/DC-emblazoned T-shirt; black George/ASDA jeans (ironed, natch); stick-on ponytail; 1990s-era NHS specs; black hiking-type boots (whatever's sub-£40 on Amazon that week...); a pipe clenched 'tween (grey) teeth; a battered 20-year-old Harrods carrier bag for my brochure collection. The pipe will prove particularly useful for indignant gesticulation while submitting exhibitors to ear-bending sessions.

You've been to the show before then?
Not to Bristol, but a visit to a similar event in London seemed to indicate that one's regular togs didn't blend in...

village-people-construction-worker.jpg

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
manicm:6th.replicant:manicm:

... who are these 'hacks' you're referring to? Don't think the WHF folks would appreciate that ha ha. But I followed it closely - on the contrary most 'hacks' found SACD and DVD-A to be substantially better than CD provided the recording and hardware was up to snuff - and many certainly were. (I still maintain that the DVD-A implementation was a dog)... As it's all-too easy to trip over this forum's myriad rules 'n' regs, I'll not quote/link publications/articles. But try a Google of 'sacd cd no difference'...
emotion-5.gif

No respectable publication, UK or otherwise, confirms your findings. Google isn't the be all and end all of knowledge.

Erm, where did I imply that they were my "findings" or infer the source was "respectable"? Hence, the use of the term "hacks" and style of writing 'respected'.

Ooo, and thanks for your sage-like advice - "Google isn't the be all and end all of knowledge" - I'd never, ever considered such a notion. Just as well I rely on Wikipedia for all fact-finding, eh?
emotion-42.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts