Is the CHORD ACTIVE SILVER PLUS hdmi lead 1.4 compatible or not?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchased a CHORD ACTIVE SILVER PLUS hdmi lead and i was wondering if it is compatible with the 1.4 specification or not. The reason why i am asking is that i have read that QED hdmi cable's are 1.4 compatible and all future ready,so therefore should the CHORD also be 1.4 compatible or not. Also what is the diffirence between the 1.3 spec and the new1.4 spec. Thank's.

DR KAY

A

Anonymous

no.. its 1.3 ..

you will only need a 1.4 spec cable if you want to connect 3d equipment ..

if you dont have a 3dtv , or are not planning on getting one , dont worry..

A

Anonymous

Ok i am not planning to purchase any 3-D equipment yet but what about this seperate audio return channel that's part of the 1.4 spec mean.

Hello DR KAY

I hope the following may be of some assistance. It's an extract
from a newsletter that was recently sent to QED dealers. I also posted it as a reply to another question about QED HDMI cables and '1.4' specs earlier today.

I'm afraid I don't know whether or not the Chord model you have is technically 1.4 or not, but is is unquestionably an excellent cable.

The
New HDMI Standards -- What do they mean?

Did
you know, every QED HDMI cable we have ever made is 1.4 compliant?

That
is, at the very minimum, they meet the new HDMI specification for
'Standard' cables.

The new HDMI 1.4 specifications mean there
are now 4 different categories with varying capabilities and performance
characteristics:

75bbab478d2a45cd583a6c782c4d571e.jpg

These new standards have been
designed to embrace the continued development of the High Definition
market.

The new features of 1.4:

• Audio
    Return Channel - simplifies the audio connection between sources
  • Full
    3D Support
  • Supports 4000 x 2000 resolution - up to 4 times
    the resolution of 1080p
    (on 'High Speed' categories)
  • More
    Colour Spaces - Enables HDTV's to produce the rich colours from Digital
    still cameras
  • HDMI Ethernet Channel (on 'with ethernet'
    categories)

QED's primary concern is the very low
performance required to meet the new 'Standard Speed' specification.
Namely it only needs to meet the HD Ready (8 bit 720p60) Specification.

So
officially, a Standard Speed cable does not even need to be Full HD (8
bit 1080p60) compliant!

Conversely, the High Speed
specification is quite demanding, requiring at least 16 bit 1080p60
compliance. Ironically, this leaves a gaping hole in the market for the
cable that most people will actually need. To ensure consumers never
have a problem with QED cables, every cable manufactured by QED to
'Standard Speed' specification (and up to 10m in length) will always
deliver far above the minimum specification and at the very least
support Full HD (8 bit 1080p60).

Very best regards,

Steve Reichert -
PR Manager, Armour Home (QED)

A

Anonymous

Hey maxflinn, unfortunately your wrong on this one, i have the Active Plus HDMI too and emailed Chord wondering if this was 1.4 capable about a month ago and the reply was YES from Chord, the only thing it was NOT capable of is the Audio Return and Ethernet features that new 1.4 cable's include but as for passing through a 3D picture, it works fine.

M

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Lets a suitable TV send audio back down the 'Monitor out' HDMI to an Audio Return-equipped amp or reveiver, so you can enjoy the sound from the TV's internal tuner(s) without needing an extra cable.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Panasonic Store:

Hey maxflinn, unfortunately your wrong on this one, i have the Active Plus HDMI too and emailed Chord wondering if this was 1.4 capable about a month ago and the reply was YES from Chord, the only thing it was NOT capable of is the Audio Return and Ethernet features that new 1.4 cable's include but as for passing through a 3D picture, it works fine.

M
So you say Max is wrong when he says it is not a 1.4 cable and then prove him right by describing two ways the cable is not 1.4 compliant? If the cable does not meet all of the requirements then it is not a 1.4 cable, surely that is obvious?

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Chord HDMI Active is High Speed certified. Therefore, meets the High Speed specification of HDMI V1.4.

It does not support Ethernet and audio return channel of HDMI V1.4 specification.

Good thing they are finially dropping HDMI version number and go by specifications like High Speed instead.

A

Anonymous

Is the CHORD ACTIVE SILVER PLUS hdmi lead 1.4 compatible or not?

no , its 1.3 spec...simples.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
High Speed certified cable meets HDMI V1.4 High Speed specification.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/3d.aspx

"How to Ensure 3D in your Home Theater System

• Look for devices that include 3D functionality.
  • All High Speed HDMI cables will support 3D when connected to 3D devices. You can use your existing High Speed HDMI cables or choose a different cable type."

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4K.aspx

"How to Ensure 4K functionality in your Home Theater System

• Look for devices that support 4K functionality.
  • All High Speed HDMI cables will support 4K functionality when connected to 4K devices. You can use your existing High Speed HDMI cables or choose a different cable type."

If 3D and 4K must be HDMI V1.4, then why do the HDMI organisation said those words in bold above?

Copied and pasted from the links above.

Sorry, is this against house rules?

Chord's new HDMI V1.4 should just add the Ethernet and audio return channel.

If you do not need the ethernet and audio return channel, the Chord HDMI Active will support 3D and 4K.

Do note that I am not implying that the Chord Active is HDMI V1.4 certified.

I am saying that it meets the Hight Speed specification in HDMI V1.4.

From Chord website:

Technical Specification for Chord HDMI Active

High frequencies filtered to improve performance
High Speed HDMI 1080p
High Quality type A connectors with high purity gold plated signal contacts
340 MHz bandwidth (10.2Gbps) Supports requirements for future high definition display devices. Higher resolutions, and higher frame rates.
Deep Colour Supports up to 48-bit colour depths

A

Anonymous

If you want to just pass through a 3D signal (picture and sound) from a 3D blu ray player to a 3D TV, then YES the Chord Active Plus HDMI meets that criteria, as someone has mentioned in this post this is classed as a V1.4 High Speed cable.

Good explanation from cstanwhf regarding this too.

The reason i asked this question to Chord about the Active Plus HDMI is that i own one myself and use it on my Pioneer blu ray player and im looking to upgrade to a Panasonic 50" 3D TV and 3D blu ray player, hence my question to Chord.

M

A

Anonymous

and the more confusing and complicated it gets , the easier it is for salespeople to flog expensive cables to those that dont understand what they need ..

at least with either 1.3 or 1.4 its easier for the layman to buy what he/she needs ..

typical , keep the merry go round spinning .. jo blogs can afford it ...

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I think one of the issue is that as explained on post # 4 by Steve, a cable can be classified as HDMI V1.4 compliant simply by meeting the Standard Speed specification which do not support 3D. I believe I have read in the HDMI webby or somewhere that the cable no not need to meet all the specifications laid for HDMI V1.4 to be classified as a V1.4 compliant cable. HDMI V1.4 is a compendium of specifications (by adding new requiements to HDMI V1.3a/b/c).

Therefore if the cable meets Standard Speed and is marketed as a HDMI V1.4 complaint cable, it will be worst for those people who purchase it and need 3D supports.

I could be wrong on the above, so if someone can explain more would be useful.

Sorry to say this but it is the responsibility of the customer to do his/her homework before his/her purchase.

Otherwise, caveat emptor.

Anyway, to each, his/her own I guess. Time for bed...nite.
emotion-20.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I gather some cable manufacturers may be having problems with interference caused by the Ethernet connection running alongside the audio/video signals in HDMI cables

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
But Andrew, it's all digital and as we know, digital cables are immune to any kind of interference
emotion-4.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist, I will climb back into my hole now and suppress any further silly comments...)

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, couldn't resist taking one last peek at this thread before shutting down PC.

I know I am going to get flamed but here goes.

The signal that runs through a HDMI cable are not really the digits 1s or 0s.

It is a voltage of a certain value (like 5volts for example) that represent 1s. And zero volts that represent 0s.

If it is voltage, the signal is still considered analog (to me at least).

True, the receiving device has error correction to correct any error.

But isn't it better to be feed an error free signal or a signal with less error?

So different HDMI cables make a difference.

I guess I'm opening a can of worms here... but just my views, not forcing anyone to accepts.

OK, really going to bed now after posting this.

(Start, shut down...run to bed and cover with blanket for flame protection)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yikes, if that was a reply to me, I was only taking the proverbial, I'm aware how HDMI cables work and I agree with you that differences can be seen between different HDMI cables.

But please folks, don't turn this thread into another cable argument discussion because of my bad joke...

120px-Gnome-face-worried.svg.png

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Professorhat, sorry, it wasn't directed at you.

I read your comments before. I know your stance.

I'm just conveying a personal view.

Yes, please don't make this thread into one of those HDMI thread.

Sorry if I really open that big can of worms.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to dig up this thread again.

According to Chord's new announcement, the Active (depending on length) and Supershield are both High Speed certified and officially 3D ready (as we already knew).

The audio return channel will also work (which we did not know).

"Chord HDMI SuperShield will carry a high speed signal in all available lengths (1, 3 and 5m).

Chord HDMI Active will carry a high speed signal in lengths of up to 10m ..."

http://www.chord.co.uk/news2.php?id=19

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts