is surge protection needed ?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Ten years ago, my wife bought me a Montblanc Meisterstück fountain pen. Absolutely beautiful to write with.

I've got a couple of Sheaffer fountain pens (one I've had for five years, the other for more like thirty) - I hardly write anything now, but agree about it making what you do write much more pleasurable. I may be going off topic here, but at least I haven't expressed the view before!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigboss

TrevC

If there are no differences in premium gear and budget (and even I have a limit btw - see my article ultra hifi destroys hifi) it's time to give up being into HiFi, as much as I wish more people were into it such the prices were mainstream. As HiFi is music and all HiFi is the same or premium to budget is, or we imply this, why bother being into hifi? beyond me.

I never said there were no differences, as well you know. I'm saying you would struggle to identify the differences in amplifiers just by listening within the capabilities of the lesser amplifier. Speakers are an entirely different kettle of fish and the differences are easy to hear.

D

Deleted member 188516

I accept that - but when it's just someone repeating something they've said elsewhere on a great many occasions (and which is not pertinent), I fail to see the point.

thing is though if an old thread is resurrected it gets locked hence repeating previous comments in "new" threads will happen. some people are new to the forum and others have been on here for over 10 years !

this is in no way a criticism of yourself or, anybody in particular, but if a thread contains information you have read before (or even if its a subject matter that makes your blood boil !) i feel its best to stay away and ignore it.

i do this on the many threads i have zero interest in and, at the end of the day, its only hifi.

D

Deleted member 188516

something for the technicians ?
check out the "power demystified" article :-

Gray

..........a surge limiter is so cheap you might as well have one in case it helps during a lightning strike or something.
And that's the point.
Never mind how good our mains supply is.
Never mind any imaginary benefits to sound quality.
Think of it as a cheap insurance policy.
In my career, I've seen the effects of lightning down phone lines- nothing protects against direct strikes of course - plenty of problems result from more distant strikes though.

Of course it's up to each individual as to whether they want to bother with surge protection.

Friesiansam

Also from Audioquest:
Audioquest said:
but too many fail to realize (sic) that there is no place on Earth that is supplied adequate AC power for today’s sensitive, high-resolution electronic components.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, is that not why so much effort goes in to the internal power supply design in hifi equipment, as opposed to just using a transformer and a rectifier?

shadders

Also from Audioquest:

Correct me if I'm wrong but, is that not why so much effort goes in to the internal power supply design in hifi equipment, as opposed to just using a transformer and a rectifier?
Hi,
Yes - any low voltage equipment, such as CD players, DAC's, streamers etc., all use linear regulators in their design. Power amplifiers may use linear regulation for the power supply, but in general, these are rare (unless class D, or some class A/B), and power amplifier rely upon high capacitive power supplies and the PSRR of the amplifier to achieve the requisite S/N etc.

The after market vendors will create uncertainty with their marketing, which may be resolved using their products. They will never commit to stating you will definitely hear the difference, else the ASA will have something to say.

Regards,
Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts