Is Naim Mu-so overkill for Spotify and TV?

SJCT99

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I would like a neat lifestyle solution for music (from Spotify Premium) and upgrading my tv sound experience (Sky HD and Blu-ray) in a medium sized sitting room.

I have seen rave reviews about naim Mu-so and on paper it seems worth making the trip (over an hour to my nearest dealer) but in the meantime I would be interested to hear others opinions on whether they think it is overkill only being fed music by Spotify and is it any good for TV and films?

Also I have a Sonos in another rooms so any thoughts on if a Sonos Playbar might be a alternative worth considering, or Dali Kubik One or Arcam Solo Bar? Or should I be considering something else? I have no room for a subwoofer sadly.

jjbomber

SJCT99 said:
I would like a neat lifestyle solution for music (from Spotify Premium) and upgrading my tv sound experience (Sky HD and Blu-ray) in a medium sized sitting room.

I have seen rave reviews about naim Mu-so and on paper it seems worth making the trip (over an hour to my nearest dealer)

Hard for us to judge as £900 is a lot of money to some and not much to others. If you are using it a lot, then it isn't overkill. By the time it does TV, Spotify and Blu-Ray, it is certainly earning it's keep. The main thing to check is inputs, as it won't take HDMI.

SJCT99

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your views.

£900 is a lot but luckily I have an option on a ex demo unit for £750 (which is still a lot too but this will be my main system).

I guess what I really mean by overkill is will the fact that given the sources would I be likely to even appreciate the extra quality of the Naim Mu-so over e.g. the Sonos Playbar? Or worse would the Naim Mu-so actually expose the limitations of Spotify so much that it will actively sounds worse?

My Sky+HD and Sony Blu-ray are connected to my Sony TV via hdmi and the tv can output 5.1 signals (not just stereo unlike some tvs) via optical out. All the above options have at least an optical input.

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
You'll use it so much you'll wonder how you managed before.

Set everything to maximum in Spotify settings and you'll get a rich open sound that will be fantastic through the Muso. There isn't the difference people would have you believe between Spotify Premium and CD/WAV. I know if I bought one I'd stop using my main hifi, so I won't.

Heard it in SSAV Sevenoaks, lovely bit of kit.

My Setup.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136421184@N03/shares/8x1o8Q

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Muso will be fine for Spotify. It will perform better with FLAC or hi-res streamed music from your PC or something like an Innuos Zen server, but it'll perform as well as Spotify will allow.

It can be used as an alternative to the myriad soundbars out there, and will perform better than a PlayBar without a sub. The PlayBar is excellent for music, but ideally needs the sub. The bass from the Muso is surprising, and would be enough for most people. I listen to the Muso on a daily basis in our vinyl section of the store, via internet radio when I'm re-arranging vinyl or putting away new arrivals. I'd take it over a mini system (presuming streaming is the main source of music). Saying that, Tidal has been added to Naim's arsenal, which I believe to be better quality than Spotify.

It performs extremely well as a soundbar, which is an addition to its capabilities.

jjbomber

SJCT99 said:
I guess what I really mean by overkill is will the fact that given the sources would I be likely to even appreciate the extra quality of the Naim Mu-so over e.g. the Sonos Playbar?

Exactly. If you are using it for 3 hours a day between all the sources, that's 1,000 hours a year. Every year. Suddenly the extra you are paying for a Mu-so is actually a few pence per hour. I would definitely go and listen for yourself. Ask for a demo on Spotify with tracks you are familiar with. I think you will be pleasently surprised.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you have the space (either side of the tv for example), the new Yamaha NX-N500 will give you everything you want and proper stereo too!

A remote control, fully active speaker system with Spotify Connect built in and a whole host of other connection options both online and physical connections. Less than £600.

E99254E154954874B516372E853CBA04_12001.jpg

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
The Muso is a soundbar, so it's not overkill, it's why soundbars was created for. But you will find much less costly soundbars on the market, the Muso is already an extreme.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts