Is my source rubbish?!

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hello Hi-Fi Genii!!
emotion-2.gif

My current setup is CA 540a v2 with MS902i's using an ipod classic (apple lossless) through CA dock. I think it sounds pretty good already until I changed the speaker jumper thingies with proper cable and I'm sure it sounds even better. So in my quest to get the best sound out of my amp and speakers I am wondering if my ipod is really letting it all down!?

I have thought about the 640H hard drive job (but pricey), or waiting a bit for the new squeezebox duet (I don't want to be constantly changing cds you see). I don't want to spend loads of cash and it not make much difference and am worried that the current ipod/lossless/dock is already good enough for my "low-end" amp and speakers?!

So what do y'all reckon?! Ditch the ipod for something more "hi-fi", or keep it because its as good as its gonna get!!??
emotion-42.gif

Cheers,

Matt!

A

Anonymous

Your ipod's not bad, its just no match for a good cd player around the 200 pounds mark. Yes you can store all your tunes on the liitle white one but for sound quality the cd player is a must!

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="jimm"]Your ipod's not bad, its just no match for a good cd player around the 200 pounds mark. Yes you can store all your tunes on the liitle white one but for sound quality the cd player is a must![/quote]

Thanks for your reply. But will I actually notice a difference buying a £200 cd player as compared to the ipod bearing in mind my system is reasonably cheap?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
When I hooked my iPod up to my system it was about half as loud and sounded like I was listening to it through a pillow. I remember doing a demo with Fleetwood's Rumours on both at the same time and the difference was immense.

Having said that it was a mini and therefore not lossless.

And I wouldn't bother with a £200 CD player, I'd get something better.

John Duncan

I thin kwith lossless and a good dock you'll probably be ok. If you want to go 'juke box', you could always look at the Yamaha HD server for 450 quid (can't remember the model number, but has the number 1500 in it - another thread refers).

jd

TRENDING THREADS