Is mission LX 2 really that much better than Q Acoustics 3020?

gasolin

To my surprise Q Acoustics 3020 are not the best budget speakers anymore (atleast according til whathifi), it's the Mission LX 2, i have Q Acoustics 2010i and i like them alot, so much i still want to hear how the Q Acosustics 3020 sound (besides more bass)

Is Mission LX 2 really that much better than the Q Acoustics 3020 that the deserve the best "budget" speaker 2016 award

Whathifi about mission LX 2

Tonally, they’re pretty well balanced but there’s a little bit of edge through the upper mid/lower treble area that can be provoked by less than perfect recordings or aggressive-sounding partnering kit

and

Speakers at this price are as likely to be driven by a micro system such as the Denon DM-40DAB as they are dedicated separates kit from the likes of Onkyo, Marantz or Rega.

This means that in an ideal world they would have to be easy to drive and unfussy about partnering kit while still having enough transparency to allow the better sounding separates kit to shine.

That’s a difficult balancing act that few manage well. The Missions do a fair job in this respect, but we think its Q Acoustics rival is a more forgiving product thanks to greater refinement at high frequencies and a richer, sweeter presentation.

gasolin

muljao said:
I'd doubt if many could tell a difference without guidance.

I can't imagine it's because of the price Mission LX 2 is the awarded as the best budget speaker over Q acoustics 2010i/2020i, since i find the 2010i do some things better than my Dynaudio emit M10

gasolin

Best buy in the category budget speaker, last years award winner under 200£ was Q Acoustics 3020

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi/best-hi-fi-speakers

I love the very clear midrange from my Q Acosustcis 2010i, which makes them very good for what i use them for, my tv, i there have difficult imagine theres a better low budget speaker than Q Acoustic 3020, if they sound noticeable better than the 2010i's

That's why i still would like to hear a pair of 3020 since the 2020i does atleast one thing better than my dynaudio emit m10's

gasolin

2016-10-16_19_39_04-12_of_the_best_hi-fi_speakers___What_Hi-Fi__%E2%80%93_Google_Chrome.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
One of the best Mission speakers I have heard was a modified M71 or 72. Think it was the i version. The owner used a valve amplifier, the make of which I cant remember. Big room too. It was very dynamic, very 'live'. Some time ago so can't remember the ins and outs.

Mission's products always had a fun signature, putting music before hifi.

The 3020 also has raving reviews and read that either Gromit or Hoops from PFM took a pair of the smaller 3010's and a cyrus 8vs plus Vinyl to the Salford Show where many thought it was one of the highlights.

Either way you get a good speaker.

matthewpiano

There really is only one way to find out, and that's to do a comparative audition. Personally, I can't think of a better pair of affordable speakers than the Wharfedale Diamond 220s, but I know your personal reservations about those gasolin. Therein proves the point that auditioning with your own ears and your own equipment, preferably in your own room, is essential.

matthewpiano

gasolin said:
Somebody should make a big review,comparison of Q Acoustics 2020/3020,MA Bronce 2,Mission LX-2 Wharfedale Diamond 220,Dali zensor 1 and Boston A26

matthewpiano

I don't like the Diamond 220 because i feel they have a huge lack of bass compared to dynaudio emit m10, Boston a26 and i guees also with the q acosustics 2020i/3020 (not shure though) and a very borring top, not at all clear and open soundig with a fresh approach to rythmic music like the Q Acosustics 2010i's i have (nad dvd reciver with supra calssic 6.0 speaker cable)

When can see the award winner of 2016 later tonight?
That's the point I'm making Gasolin. You and I hear these speakers completely differently to each other, probably due to several factors including room positioning, partnering equipment, musical taste and our individual hearing. In my set-up the Diamond 220s are crystal clear, with outstanding detail and spatial information, and they handle bass frequencies beautifully. Yes, there is less obvious bass than the Dynaudios and possibly also the Q 2020i, but they are actually more accurate. Play piano music through the Wharfedales and you get much closer to the sound of actually being in the room with the piano. Q 2020i just gloss over the experience, and the Dyns pad the bass out too much. The point is, that's my opinion in my surroundings and with my system and music. That clearly isn't going to help you, so the only way to ascertain how the Mission LX2 compare to the Qs and Dyns is to audition them and listen for yourself.

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I think people should get out more.

You shouldn't really care what has been given the best buy, product of the year etc other than a possibility of worth auditioning. It's really really sad how people take it as gospel or get offended.

gasolin

Somebody should make a big review,comparison of Q Acoustics 2020/3020,MA Bronce 2,Mission LX-2 Wharfedale Diamond 220,Dali zensor 1 and Boston A26

matthewpiano

I don't like the Diamond 220 because i feel they have a huge lack of bass compared to dynaudio emit m10, Boston a26 and i guees also with the q acosustics 2020i/3020 (not shure though) and a very borring top, not at all clear and open soundig with a fresh approach to rythmic music like the Q Acosustics 2010i's i have (nad dvd reciver with supra calssic 6.0 speaker cable)

When can i/we see the award winner of 2016 later tonight?

gasolin

manix said:

You shouldn't really care what has been given the best buy, product of the year etc other than a possibility of worth auditioning. It's really really sad how people take it as gospel or get offended.

I was out, pokemon go *lol*

insider9

manix said:

I see your point, though 5* reviews and awards especially at this side of the market will be important to many.

Not only for perceived quality but for ease of selling it on and resale value as well.

gasolin

Now i have had the mission for atleast a week

They do without any doubt sound good

Balance is better then Q Acoustics 3020 simply because the top is not as bright,loud and a bit more bass, a bit more tighter,punchier bass

After a week the bass does seem a bit more subtle (burn in?) give it some kraftwerk (could be the start of radioactivity live) and turn the volume above medium and you will hear the bass is still good, better than most budget 130mm speakers (i don't know any budget speaker that has better bass)

jackstark

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi, in some reviews I read that you should be careful when pairing these speakers to a receiver. What does that mean? How do I know if these are good for my Yamaha mcr-n670? I cannot go out and listen because I do not seem to find any shop in Belgium that has them in stock.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't worry to much about partnering with a yamaha. I think what your reading is if your system has a screaming treble, the missions won't really be the speakers to tone it down.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts