Is it worth spending more ?

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
If the Pioneer VSX-LX55 is the best Home Cinema Receiver priced between £750 - £1500 , then why would people spend £1500 on an alternative ?

I have a demo tomorrow to listen to a Yamaha RX-V3067 priced at £750 , reduced from £1500, but would i be better of spending a £1000 and getting the Pioneer ?

Would i get a noticeable upgrade in movie sound from a Denon 2311 , or would i have to spend more still?

Help guys!!

It all depends on the speakers. Better speakers will bring the best out of a receiver, & better receivers will bring the best out of speakers. Given your brilliant speakers, you will hear a noticeable difference over your current receiver.

What's also important is system synergy. Speakers & receivers, depending on the make, can be neutral, bright or warm sounding to varying degrees. Also, we have a personal preference towards warm, bright or neutral sound. Usually, bright speakers go well with warm receivers & vice versa. But this combination may not suit everyone.

So you cannot simply buy the best receiver in the awards issue & expect it to sound better than every other receiver in the group. It all depends on your speakers & your listening preferences.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This hobby is so subjective, that there is no definitive gospel of components. In the case of an AV amp, it's all down to personal taste and the synergy with the speakers.

How much you spend on an amp, greatly depends on how good the speakers are (and vica versa).

Things start to become clearer, when you begin demoing and finding out what sound you like (not what other people tell you you should like).

Cno

Edit. I've just repeated what BB has just said (so must be right), and apologies for that....didn't see his post in time.

natstick

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
If you do decide do like the Pioneer, do you yourself a favour and look a bit harder for the right price.

It is possible to spend less than £750 on a new one as I have just done.

Think Quidco and Best buy, and quickly

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks bigness ,cnoevil and natstick, really appreciate the advice, well , i had my demo and loved the Yamaha RX-V3067, nocked them down to £699.00, to good a deal to turn down really.

If there are any owners that know how to set sky up on it so you get Dolby Digital sound to sync with the picture i could really do with some input !!

Thanks again guys.

natstick

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Nice one Chris,

Sounds like a great deal, nice haggling and quite possibly a better bet than the Pioneer.

I wanted to demo your amp, but didn't have the patience/time to travel and listen to one after hearing the Pioneer!

TRENDING THREADS