Is it unwise to mix stereo hifi and surround speakers?

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone

I want to add a centre and two rear surrounds to a pair of Rega RS1s, but I don't have the space for similar sized units. Can I use Q acoustics 7000, CA Minx or a similar sized setup, or is the golden rule that you always add the same brand?

Anyone successfully integrated different types/brands into a stereo hifi setup?

Hope you can help - hoping to get this resolved for Xmas.

Regards

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it matters what speakers you use.

If you have 2 full range speakers and set centre to 'both' so dialog comes from centre and fronts ( in stereo the voice is usually mono so this should not effect the 'lock' to your screen ) the rears are really just effects speakers, depending on your main speakers bass performance you may not even need a sub.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
I don't think it matters what speakers you use.

If you have 2 full range speakers and set centre to 'both' so dialog comes from centre and fronts ( in stereo the voice is usually mono so this should not effect the 'lock' to your screen ) the rears are really just effects speakers, depending on your main speakers bass performance you may not even need a sub.

Sorry, completely disagree and so will most people, the Centre really must be as close a tonal match to the fronts as possible, so that certaionly matters. I agree about the surrounds though, as I mentioned previously.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Having tried lots of centres I'd say it's preferable to have similar speakers all round, but even the centre can be different. If you look at many top priced 5.1 packages the centre often has totally different sized drivers and different number of drivers.

My current front 3 are Dali Ikon 6 and Vokal 2, but I've used my ADMs in the system with the Vokal 2 and it works just as well. Can't say I noticed any "tonal difference".

Which to me makes sense as the drivers are often a competely different configuration anyway, and the centre is pretty much only used for dialogue.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Try it and see :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
Having tried lots of centres I'd say it's preferable to have similar speakers all round, but even the centre can be different. If you look at many top priced 5.1 packages the centre often has totally different sized drivers and different number of drivers.

The centre may well have two or more mid-drivers, rather than one in fronts (assuming standmounts) but the suggestion they'll be completely unmatched is nonsense.

Which to me makes sense as the drivers are often a competely different configuration anyway, and the centre is pretty much only used for dialogue.

Again, inaccaurate, in a "normal" 5.1 mix the centre channel is typically handling around 60% of the audio.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
From experience I can say that you're better off not having a centre speaker than having one that doesn't match your front L&R. If you have your front speakers arranged symetrically either side of your screen and all normal 'viewers/listeners' sit more or less on-axis, then you may find that you don't need a centre and the image created by your L&R will suficiently locate voices to the screen.

If your set-up is not symetrical and/or you typically have viewers/listeners way 'off-axis' then you may find that you do need a centre, in which case, you defnitely need one that matches your L&R or it will just sound 'wrong'.

As others have said, surrounds are less important, although it will sound better if they also match.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
fr0g said:

The centre may well have two or more mid-drivers, rather than one in fronts (assuming standmounts) but the suggestion they'll be completely unmatched is nonsense.

I wasn't suggesting they would be completely unmatched. But different driver configurations will sound different, and using a "non-matching" centre, imo will sound no more different. I'd just suggest getting the best you can. Infact I'd personally rather have a more capable "non-matching" centre than the matching one.

The_Lhc said:
Again, inaccaurate, in a "normal" 5.1 mix the centre channel is typically handling around 60% of the audio.

And the centre is handling almost all the dialogue. But yes, I perhaps put it badly.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Dan Turner said:
From experience I can say that you're better off not having a centre speaker than having one that doesn't match your front L&R. If you have your front speakers arranged symetrically either side of your screen and all normal 'viewers/listeners' sit more or less on-axis, then you may find that you don't need a centre and the image created by your L&R will suficiently locate voices to the screen.

If your set-up is not symetrical and/or you typically have viewers/listeners way 'off-axis' then you may find that you do need a centre, in which case, you defnitely need one that matches your L&R or it will just sound 'wrong'.

As others have said, surrounds are less important, although it will sound better if they also match.
As I mentioned. I used my ADM9T's with and without my Dali Vokal 2 centre, and for watching films it was much better with the centre speaker and any notion of it sounding unmatched is nonsense. Yes, a 3rd ADM would have sounded better, but for my money, so long as you have a capable centre speaker, it is the most important speaker in the whole 5.1 system along with the sub.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
Dan Turner said:

As I mentioned. I used my ADM9T's with and without my Dali Vokal 2 centre, and for watching films it was much better with the centre speaker and any notion of it sounding unmatched is nonsense. Yes, a 3rd ADM would have sounded better, but for my money, so long as you have a capable centre speaker, it is the most important speaker in the whole 5.1 system along with the sub.

YMMV as they say! I guess it's good for the OP to hear all these opinons and experiences, but perhaps what it highlights more than anything is that there is no substitute for trying the various options in your own set-up

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Left Right & Center should be of the same type,even model for a decent tonal match....i know 'cos David told me... ;)

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, thanks very much for the info, lots of diversity as usual.
smiley-smile.gif

I should have mentioned that my plan is to incorporate a Beresford TC-7220, so I can “share” my RS1s with both the Brio R and my Denon AVR 1910 - sorry.

Anyway, reading through your comments, my options appear to be:

1. Connect the RS1s to the Denon (via the Beresford) then demo centres until there's a synergy with the 3 fronts, adding rears and a sub through the same process.

2. As above, but no centre, configure Denon to ‘mix out’ the centre, adding only decent rears and a sub if required.

3. Forget the Beresford, just get a 5.1 package, probably Minx S215.

I'll probably opt for no. 1, but this could take an age and may prove fruitless. I love my SBT Rega combination, so adding the RS1s into my 5.1 setup would be great for me, however, Rega's Vox is just too big. I'll update this post with my findings.

Regards

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick update after listening to CA's Minx, MA's Mass and B&W's M1s.

I was amazed by the big sound of the M1s, even without a sub, so I bought 3, centre, left and right. 2 rears, with stands and then a sub, hopefully later in year. Really impressed with how the three little units throw DTS and DD audio around the room. Although I'm still trying to get my head around the Denon AVR 1910, the manual is hopeless - I'll have to try Batpig's site sometime. Managed to get DD from Sky HD box with both HDMI and Optical connected to the 1910, although the amp sometimes forgets the optical connection.

I'm running the M1s in on Chord Carnival at the moment (borrowed from my rega setup), done about 30 hours so far. If I'm still enjoying the sound after 50 hours or so, could I replace the Chord cable with QED Silver Micro for a similar sound, or with QED XTC if I think the Chord is a little too bright?

Many thanks for all the advice
smiley-smile.gif

Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts