Is it true that you have to spend a very large amount of money to hear a considerable difference from speakers?

Shaun729

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I went to a hi fi shop yesterday and I took along my Mission 760i's and the guy in the shop said that I woud have to buy B&W 800 series to hear a real difference, is this right? Thanks

T

the record spot

No, IMO. Albeit you can move them six inches either way and you'll hear a change, speaker positioning being important. But yes, you will hear a difference depending on your speaker, the type of drive units, the size, and so on. Lots of factors. Have to disagree with the dealer here.

No. The most important thing is synergy between components. Get that right, allied to speakers suited to your room size and acoustics and it should sing.

Yes, by upping your budget you will hear a audible difference but whether that difference justifies the extra money only you can decide.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There is distinction between a "difference" and an "improvement"............and one is much more subjective than the other.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Shaun, in the context of his shop he was absolutely right. In terms of what he stocked you probably would have to go that high to hear something that was appreciably better overall.

If you broaden your horizons to whatever you can buy on Planet Earth today with your money, then he is totally wrong.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
No its not true. I had the Mission 780SE which are similar to yours. I would say the Kef R100s and LS50s are better than the 760is, LS50s need good amp. If you want to see the difference try the R100s. There are clear differences between most speakers, its a question of trying to find which suits you and your system best. If you are happy with your 760is why bother, just keep them.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
There is distinction between a "difference" and an "improvement"............and one is much more subjective than the other.

I'm with Cno here. Most recent speakers sound very different, compared to your 760is: often brighter and more 'punchy'. They grab your attention more easily. But it's difficult to say if that's all for the better.

I have the 760SEs myself (and use them every day) , and I still like their sound. I'm now definitely looking for a major upgrade (after 20+ years that is), with better bass extension and a less boxy, more natural sound. But I'm aware I'll pay vastly more than I did for the Missions...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
CnoEvil said:

I'm with Cno here. Most recent speakers sound very different, compared to your 760is: often brighter and more 'punchy'. They grab your attention more easily. But it's difficult to say if that's all for the better.

I have the 760SEs myself (and use them every day) , and I still like their sound. I'm now definitely looking for a major upgrade (after 20+ years that is), with better bass extension and a less boxy, more natural sound. But I'm aware I'll pay vastly more than I did for the Missions...

Also you can so used to the sound that it will take a while to adjust to the new sound, thats why comparing different speakers is not always straitforward. I find generally more modern speakers need a bit more volume to get them going. I did not find them that bright but I did avoid some makes like MA, some were more forward (tweeters) like Dynaudio/Epos than others like KEF, B&W PMC and Tannoy.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Just to add a little to my comment...

If you have speakers that are some of the best in their price range (that you like), you will likely have to double what they cost to get a substantial improvement imo.

Also, an expensive pair of speakers driven poorly, can sound worse than cheaper speakers driven properly.

The fact that speakers are expensive, give little indication as to whether you will like them.

Shaun729

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everbody, does anybdy have any recommendations? My room is 2.74 x 3.65 and I listen to rock music exclusively. I think I would like brighter speakers. Has anybody heard the Concept 20's? Will they be an improvement?

TRENDING THREADS