Is it time to change What HIFI team?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the Sony BDP S550 Blu-ray player and it has served me well for the past 2 years, ive never updated it and never used BD-LIVE. With the price of the new Sony BDP S370 now regularly around the £99.00 mark, would i gain anything by replacing my old one with this new one(internet access aside) im only interested in whether the sound and picture would be better, no different or worse(unlikely im sure) can anyone help?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Had me worried for a moment there with that thread title!

If, as you say, you're not interested in BD Live or 3D, I see no reason at all to change from the player you have now. I'd save the cash for when you want to make a serious upgrade.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Had me worried for a moment there with that thread title!
The power of a comma
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Haha me too !

I thought Wow ! This is going to be a lively debate !
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorry just thought it would attract more interest. Thanks, the other half will be pleased as she bought me it for Xmas 2 years ago.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
eremis6:Sorry just thought it would attract more interest.

Is that how it works?

Mmmmm...... My next thread will be titled "Should there be a jihad on WHFSAV?", but the content may be something dull, inocuous and impossible to cause conflict....Like a mains cable thread.

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:

Is that how it works?

Mmmmm...... My next thread will be titled "Should there be a jihad on WHFSAV?", but the content may be something dull, inocuous and impossible to cause conflict....Like a mains cable thread.

emotion-2.gif

emotion-2.gif
emotion-2.gif
emotion-8.gif
can,t stop laughing, good one chris

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Yeah - there's enough revolt in Parliament Square at the mo thank you...
emotion-2.gif

I completely disagree with Andrew. I had the S550 for 18 months and spent the time wondering why I'd bothered upgrading from DVD.

I got the S370 a few months ago (sold 550 for £80 on eB@y and paid £99.99 for the 370 at Amazon) - and the difference is amazing. Load times are quicker, picture is way more vibrant and the sound has loads more punch.

If you were talking about a considerable expenditure then I'd say maybe hang on to what you've got - but as they're practically giving away the 370 I'd upgrade without hesitation...

SteveR750

johnnyjazz:Big Chris:

Is that how it works?

emotion-2.gif

emotion-2.gif
emotion-2.gif
emotion-8.gif
can,t stop laughing, good one chris

I'm glad I had put my cuppa down before reading it too....

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Happy to hear, roger06. It's all a matter of opinion, as ever...

Indeed - the only thing that matters. In hi fi as in wine, if YOU like it that's all that counts!
emotion-2.gif

Does make we wonder tho if my 550 had a problem as it was seriously unimpressive...

A

Anonymous

Sorry to jump in on this but I have a similar question. Is it worth replacing my Pioneer BDP-51FD with the new Sony BDP-S570. Does it make a good music streamer? (compared to my XBox 360).

Cheers

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I find a lot of the reviews and comments on BluRay don't make sense to be honest.

Players have previously been very well rated, but now there seems to be the general concensus that previous players weren't much better than DVD and the £100 Sony S370 is all the 2D BluRay player anyone could ever need, and Sony hasn't really improved performance up its range.

Also conflicting views that spending more on a BD player like the CA 650 gets better BluRay performance, and even that no player when calibrated is any different to any other.

It just all doesn't quite fit together for me. Some of these views must be wrong. For example either a picture has more detail or it doesn't. It must be quite easy to do a controlled test.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
kinda:...It must be quite easy to do a controlled test.

Don't agree. It's all very subjective. Sit two people on a hill watching a sunset and you'll get two different opinions about the colours etc...

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, can see what you're saying.

But, calibrate a TV get a fair few people to watch the same clips and ask them specific questions like which had more detail, if the motion looked any worse, and so on, and surely there'd be a valid statistical verdict. If there isn't there's no real difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts