Is HIFI and Music Dead?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

I don't carry any prejudices against anything.
If that really is true then you sir, are truly a saint 👼
Let's say for example, that some (not all of course) of said 'music' celebrates hate, the odd bit of violence and a dose of sexism.
You have got no prejudice against it?.....because, like you said, you've got no prejudices against anything.
I suggest you are a unique person. The Pope would be proud.
Indeed he'd struggle to come up to your standard.

The abilities of a group to produce anything vaguely listenable for longer than the usual 'soundbite' of 3 minutes has gone.
I have just listened to 23 minutes of 'Whipping Post' by the Allman Brothers Band and it is still a classic.
Nobody produces music to actually sit and listen to anymore.
Personal thoughts only you understand.

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I promise to not ever use auto tune on my upcoming release
Thank you. Can you also promise that your lyrics aren't in txt spk, and if they aren't, that Dolly Parton didn't write them, and that your 'band' aren't whoever the recording studio had hanging around that day, and that you can at least strum out a tune on an axe, because if you can, I might have a listen. ;) (y)

insider9

Thank you. Can you also promise that your lyrics aren't in txt spk, and if they aren't, that Dolly Parton didn't write them, and that your 'band' aren't whoever the recording studio had hanging around that day, and that you can at least strum out a tune on an axe, because if you can, I might have a listen. ;) (y)
Yes, to all above. No band, just me. All written, performed, recorded and produced myself. I'm aiming for mid June release. Work in progress. Will update closer to date. Cheers

Reactions: Mike Hunt

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
The title of this thread is Is HiFi and Music Dead? I straight away understand the sentiments of the title. I read somewhere that in the decade of the 60's there were a lot more natural instruments used in studios in comparison to the 70's onwards; nowadays we could have a quiz which produced music from a studio used natural instruments...? Ofcourse there is music just as good using studio technical stuff like eg Yellow etc... However if you listen to contemporary music of today, a lot has been done before (often in better quality both technically and artistically), a lot of contemporary singers of today want to go that extra mile of whats it has been done before and often ends up for old ears as myself as simply awful. However at the same time there is a lot of new artists who are real quality and are producing good stuff. Unfortunately because of the popularity of present commercial music, studio produced (meaning very little instruments, used if any,) the demand for quality HiFi decreases, and practicallity takes over, so hello to Sonos, Bluetooth and etc..... Lets get real how much quality HiFi does one need to listen to RAP or Grime....? I hope I am wrong and there always be space for great music and quality hIfI.... :)

Sliced Bread

i just posted a bit too dissimilar discussion on the HiFi section focusing on what is musicality.

I personally would like to see more stereo amplifiers / DACs with HDMI aRC connections like the Naim Uniti series.

Seems like a neat solution for those who like stereo but want to use their systems for movies too. aRC, if implemented correctly, should help avoid lip sync issues and you have a lovely two channel system to boot! Chuck in a sub for your movies and off you go :)

Sliced Bread

When it comes to HT, stereo is fine for me. The screen is on one wall and the sofa is against the opposite wall, so rear speakers become "side" speakers, and positioned way too close to some listeners and too far from the other. Surround effects in a setup like that are very compromised at best, so I've made the decision to skip all that and have a good stereo setup.

This is a very good point, especially if you’re firing down the length of a room.

In my 17 x 12 ft living room the speakers fire down the length and the difference when i switch between 5.1 and stereo is less than I first thought. I guess it’s easier for the speakers to fill the room this way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts