Is HIFI and Music Dead?

Dom

The quality of music maybe going down hill? We have technical wizardry performers taking the best we have and turning into something nuts. Capable singers that can do all sorts of things with there voice, but have we heard it all before. It seems to more evolutionary than revolutionary nowadays. Whilst I may never get bored listing to the greatest music I have ever heard, maybe we need something new? Truly great!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

The quality of music maybe going down hill? We have technical wizardry performers taking the best we have and turning into something nuts. Capable singers that can do all sorts of things with there voice, but have we heard it all before. It seems to more evolutionary than revolutionary nowadays. Whilst I may never get bored listing to the greatest music I have ever heard, maybe we need something new? Truly great!
Having a home cinema system I have never needed a HiFi setup and to be honest I just think it would be a massive disappointment to me. I am currently playing my Home Cinema system with my amp worth £2500 and my speakers worth £4500 including stands and cables and a Arcam R-Blink playing Foreigner I want to know what love is and it sounds amazing! I couldn’t possibly get more from 2 speakers costing the same - could I?

Why don’t you guys switch to home cinema?

I couldn’t possibly get more from 2 speakers costing the same - could I?

Why don’t you guys switch to home cinema?
I've always worked on the basis that you have to spend considerably more on some parts of the chain for multichannel to sound as good as two channel - your speaker budget is divided between at least six units rather than two, and your amplification over several additional channels - ergo you have to send more on AV equipment to get the same quality ballpark. I'm sure your system is great, but suspect that the same budget spent on two channel would sound better with music. Wouldn't be much good with films, alas!

I can't see me ever merging the two but if what you have gives you everything you need, who cares?

In answer to the original question, it seems that few are interested in the former, and for me the latter is in a dead end of auto-tune and adopted-odd-intonation-so-you-sound-sincere. I still buy some new music, but am glad I am not reliant on new stuff!

D

Deleted member 2457

I've always worked on the basis that you have to spend considerably more on some parts of the chain for multichannel to sound as good as two channel - your speaker budget is divided between at least six units rather than two, and your amplification over several additional channels - ergo you have to send more on AV equipment to get the same quality ballpark. I'm sure your system is great, but suspect that the same budget spent on two channel would sound better with music. Wouldn't be much good with films, alas!

I can't see me ever merging the two but if what you have gives you everything you need, who cares?

In answer to the original question, it seems that few are interested in the former, and for me the latter is in a dead end of auto-tune and adopted-odd-intonation-so-you-sound-sincere. I still buy some new music, but am glad I am not reliant on new stuff!
Thanks mate. (y)

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
When it comes to HT, stereo is fine for me. The screen is on one wall and the sofa is against the opposite wall, so rear speakers become "side" speakers, and positioned way too close to some listeners and too far from the other. Surround effects in a setup like that are very compromised at best, so I've made the decision to skip all that and have a good stereo setup.

For music, I'd say it's much easier to get your music out there these days. Go back a few decades, and most of the music on the shelves was in the form of LPs, which had a relatively large cost associated with producing them. As a result, the people that chose to finance the studio time, cutting the records etc could afford to be picky.

Recording equipment has got much cheaper recently. These days, a few hundred pounds will get you a pretty respectable microphone, and your average laptop can apply enough processing etc to make it a full production - drums, keys, guitar, whatever.
So, the cost of entry to recording music has fallen through the floor. Anyone with a laptop is now a mix/mastering engineer, and anyone that can bash out a few chords is a musician.

That doesn't mean modern music is bad, it just means that there's a stunningly large amount of it, and sifting through all the rubbish gets tedious.
The stuff that gets played on the radio is often very heavily processed, including auto-tune etc. The thing is, though, that these days if your studio doesn't have auto-tune, people won't book you. That's the state of play.

There's still good music being produced. Finding it is difficult, but with forums like this it can be made easier. If someone stumbles across something good, post about it!

If anyone's interested, I have a great example of how different a studio vs live performance can be. Find Isembard's Wheel on Spotify or whichever music platform you prefer. I was the recording/mixing/mastering engineer for all of the live performances on there at the moment. They were all taken from the same gig, which was upstairs in a small pub in Sheffield. I took a multi-track at the desk, and mixed it down later. No edits, no auto-tune. Bit of compression and a bit of EQ. In theory, the result should actually be pretty HiFi.
Compare those to the studio versions, where they had a wider range of equipment and processing, probably better mics, etc etc.
I am certainly biased, but I know which versions I prefer.

Chris

D

Deleted member 2457

Good point mate. (y)

D

Deleted member 2457

Gel, I'm now officially single but the thought of all the cables is doing my head-in. Stereo for me. 2 ears 2 speakers.
Interesting hopefully one day I will get a 2 channel setup so I can see what the fuss is all about.

Reactions: insider9

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I am both Hifi and home cinema but hifi comes first but i would never use a AV amplifier for music unless you buy something like a Arcam Av but i like to keep things separate myself .
Av amplifiers are OK but you get what you pay for and you have to think that what your getting out of that money your spending on a Av as most of the cost in a Av is licences for the different modes that you have on a Av so somewhere along the line quality is the issue or a lack of a good power supply .
where a dedicated stereo amplifier is made for the job and normally you get better components and a better power supply but depending on what you spend of coarse

Reactions: Roby
D

Deleted member 188516

no because autechre have just released another set of ae live recordings...

Reactions: Dom
D

Deleted member 160668

Edit: @gel Well that didn't work at all. Tried to quite part only of your comment. Now bold.

I am currently playing my Home Cinema system with my amp worth £2500 and my speakers worth £4500 including stands and cables and a Arcam R-Blink playing Foreigner
[/QUOTE]

Gel - what specifically are you listening to via the rBlink?

Is it something bluetooth only? I.e. not a stream which is available and coming via spotify/tidal etc? Reason I ask is with 7k of kit, the rblink can be outdone relatively easily... i've had one in the past... Its good, but for example if using spotify, side by side, it will be outdone by google chromecast audio. That's also cheaper btw. Just saying....

I've done this previously. Pretty sure there's a stream somewhere I've created re this. If your using to stream in this fashion, then try a CCA 2nd hand and you can decide which sounds better...

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

Edit: @gel Well that didn't work at all. Tried to quite part only of your comment. Now bold.

I am currently playing my Home Cinema system with my amp worth £2500 and my speakers worth £4500 including stands and cables and a Arcam R-Blink playing Foreigner

Is it something bluetooth only? I.e. not a stream which is available and coming via spotify/tidal etc? Reason I ask is with 7k of kit, the rblink can be outdone relatively easily... i've had one in the past... Its good, but for example if using spotify, side by side, it will be outdone by google chromecast audio. That's also cheaper btw. Just saying....

I've done this previously. Pretty sure there's a stream somewhere I've created re this. If your using to stream in this fashion, then try a CCA 2nd hand and you can decide which sounds better...
[/QUOTE]
Hi there,

Apple music and Spotify free one. What’s CCA? Google chromecast sounds very interesting. Thanks for the suggestions. (y)

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi there,

Apple music and Spotify free one. What’s CCA? Google chromecast sounds very interesting. Thanks for the suggestions. (y)
[/QUOTE]
Oh I see CCA means Chromecast audio.

Dom

Yeah, maybe music is dead. I really like the music of Across The Stars by John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter and even though Anne-Sophie plays beautifully, isn't it stuff we hear over and over via the Star Wars rehashes. Come on isn't there new ideas to explore.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

I don't really get the question at all. Are you talking about music replay or the quality of music being produced or both.

Answering your title on the other hand is far easier "Is HIFI and Music Dead?"
simple answer is no both fronts,

Music wise, head away form the main stream and theres some amazing artists doing some fresh and amazing work, Fieh, Lilly Moore, Jamilia Woods, Portico Quartet and so on. Artist i would have never found without streaming i might add.

What i find more is that people are not willing to listen to new things and open there horizons, which i find strange considering how much music we have at press of button (well a quick keyboard type). And that does kill the industry theres more to music than Norah jones! with comments such, i don't listen to "rap c%6p" being the most obvious. They live in the past and its the same with there gear. They stagnate the industry.

You see it when you go to hifi shows the old guard wanting the same stuff demoed over over again and that puts new comers off, companies need to wake up! they're not going to sell anything pretty soon. Why can't the prodigy be played/demoed its immaculately produced, and isn't brick walled unless he-Liam intends it to be, Play Dj shadows Three Ralphs and that will clear a demo room but again immaculately produced, and the Entroducing is one of the finest recorded albums in history.

Ask for something like ive mentioned above and you'll get some grumbles and sometimes those people even get up and leave, rude just rude. The artist i mention above are putting out some of the best sounding records ive heard in years and not just technically.

Hi fi isn't dead but they need to pay attention to the newer bread of the hobbyist forget the old guard some what.

Even some of the comments in this thread are little strange, Gel listening to HT system for music rather than a strereo for example. Why not he watches moves and listens to music as much as one another, he's got the right tool for the right job and is probably very enjoyable.

John darko has a very interesting pod cast on this very matter.

D

Deleted member 160668

Hi there,

Oh I see CCA means Chromecast audio.
[/QUOTE]
Hi Gel, yeah a Chromecast Audio. I bought one and did a side by side with the rBlink. The rBlink got sold. It deffo can stream Spotify as that's what I was doing but not sure about apple music.
I've since moved on to using a dedicated streamer separate (Cambridge CXN), which is much better again (imo), but far more expensive. Whereas the CCA can be picked up cheaply and you should see the difference. Ps you'll prob have a few quid change too as the 2nd hand sale price for the rBlink is higher than you'll spend on CCA. Hope that helps 👍

D

Deleted member 116933

If you're realistic (and honest) you'll know precisely why that particular comment is so often heard - and not exclusively from those living in the past.

Nope, I don't believe that at all (and honestly) and no i don't say that about anybodies music tastes, or anything in life. I don't carry any prejudices against anything. It may not be my taste and i may not agree about what there singing/rapping about but that doesn't make that music any less important at all.

You/we have a lot to be thankful for with those genres of music, it maybe a shadow of its former self today and has lost itself a little but id never say it's rubbish. People have every right to listen to that and listen to it on 10k+ equipment if they want to and i as i said most of that music is immaculately produced, bands like the internet, Phenomenal sounding work not just technically but also very enjoyable to listen too.

And thats arguable the biggest market that hifi manufactures need to be tapping into and attracting.

Classical is a very small segment of the market. POP RnB rap metal dominate the market. So why not demo with it.

As i say some manufactures are now starting to embrace it BUT only with certain products Naim uniti series, Dev phantoms and so on. Some might want a full naim stack

And im sorry those comments 9 times out 10 come from a certain minority and age. Its stereo typical but unfortunately true.

TRENDING THREADS