Is Freeview available through Satellite on LG TV?

Nickji

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi - I've just purchased the LG 43LF51 TV and only have a satellite input for connection. I've ran the autotune and although it says it's picked over 100 channels it appears significantly less actually work. At the start of channel selection there are numberous BBC1 channels - BBC1 West Midlands, East Midlands, Wales etc but no BBC2, ITV, channel 4, 5, sky1 etc.

is this something to do with connecting via the satellite input? Or some setting that I'm missing on the tv? I'm confused that it is picking up channels but not displaying them in the order I would expect - BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and so on. Plus I can't seem to find these channels in the guide.

Any advice would be much appreciated?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Nickji said:
Hi - I've just purchased the LG 43LF51 TV and only have a satellite input for connection. I've ran the autotune and although it says it's picked over 100 channels it appears significantly less actually work. At the start of channel selection there are numberous BBC1 channels - BBC1 West Midlands, East Midlands, Wales etc but no BBC2, ITV, channel 4, 5, sky1 etc.

is this something to do with connecting via the satellite input? Or some setting that I'm missing on the tv? I'm confused that it is picking up channels but not displaying them in the order I would expect - BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and so on. Plus I can't seem to find these channels in the guide.

I'm confused too. That tv only has a Freeview tuner, so you should only be able to connect an aerial to it, not a satellite dish. To connect a satellite dish to it and get channels, you'd need a built in Freesat tuner, which the tv doesn't have.

The only thing I can think of, is your satellite dish is somehow working as an aerial, but I'm not sure this at all possible.

You need to do one of two things. Either get an aerial fixed to your roof and connect it directly to the tv, or buy a Freesat box and connect it to your dish and tv.

jjbomber

Nickji said:
but no BBC2,

Top Gear was crap, so you are lucky!!!

I assume you are using 75 Ohm cable and the aerial was working on a different previous TV. The 100 channels may include duplicates, so check in the 800s and 900s in case BBC2 is lurking there. Somtimes a search will erase duplicates and just keep one version of BBC2, but not channel 2 where you want it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jjbomber said:
Nickji said:
but no BBC2,

Top Gear was crap, so you are lucky!!!

I assume you are using 75 Ohm cable and the aerial was working on a different previous TV. The 100 channels may include duplicates, so check in the 800s and 900s in case BBC2 is lurking there. Somtimes a search will erase duplicates and just keep one version of BBC2, but not channel 2 where you want it.

I think it's more that he's connecting a satellite dish to a freeview tv.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It sounds as though your TV has an inbuilt satellite tuner, but doesn't support the Freesat platform, hence the muddled EPG.

My TV can search for satellite channels independently of Freesat. You ultimately pick up more channels, but the EPG's horrendous to navigate.

Are you saying your TV has no Freeview tuner or standard aerial input? That'd be highly unusual.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
It sounds as though your TV has an inbuilt satellite tuner, but doesn't support the Freesat platform, hence the muddled EPG.

My TV can search for satellite channels independently of Freesat. You ultimately pick up more channels, but the EPG's horrendous to navigate.

Are you saying your TV has no Freeview tuner or standard aerial input? That'd be highly unusual.

Strapped

That tv only has a freeview tuner, and the OP doesn't seem to have an aerial, only a satellite dish, so I'm presuming he's connecting the satellite dish to the aerial input on the tv, and somehow, and I don't understand how, it's managing to find some channels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts