Is freesat ever likely to get more hd channels?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Just as the title suggests really. The way I understand it freeview hd is only going to be able to offer 4 hd channels max due to bandwidth restrictions so is it likely that freesat will get any more? Are they even going to get channel 4 or 5? I am still trying to decide between freeview hd and freesat pvrs and weighing up the options.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i think Freeview hd will always be more popular due to the fact you can get it over an aerial.. freesat is great to though... and it got bbc 1 hd last week.. it should in the near to medium future get channel 4hd and five hd but it could be 1/2 years.. i love that its free of course! its also transmittied dolby digital on hd channels but freeview uses a different codec which isnt supported in most tvs yet.. i hope freesat sticks around as i've got 3 freesat boxes in my parents house..

A

Anonymous

I have freesat and love it. We now have 3 HD channels and apparently there is no technical reason others will not be added or even a 3D channel in the future. However C4 and Five have been slow to add their HD channels and ITV prefer sky for extra HD channels.

I would go for freeview HD as I think medium term you'll get more HD channels - we, sadly don't have a choice.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks for the responses. Sounds like they are not going to be getting much more hd content so I think I will be looking for freeview hd.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bay24:Many thanks for the responses. Sounds like they are not going to be getting much more hd content

I don't think anyone here can actually say that with any degree of confidence.

FreeviewHD won't get (m)any more HD channels because it doesn't have the bandwidth. FreesatHD doesn't have that problem, the only thing stopping more HD channels being shown is the TV companies themselves, it seems to be partly a political and partly a commercial decision at the moment.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:bay24:Many thanks for the responses. Sounds like they are not going to be getting much more hd content

FreeviewHD won't get (m)any more HD channels because it doesn't have the bandwidth. FreesatHD doesn't have that problem, the only thing stopping more HD channels being shown is the TV companies themselves, it seems to be partly a political and partly a commercial decision at the moment.
Yeah I though that would be the case, I knew about the limitations on freeview but I am guessing that they will get 5 in the end and that will be about it. It does seem that freesat just doesn't have the impact to draw the channels in. I wonder if it will be able to keep sales going now freeview hd is here.

daveh75

bay24:the_lhc:bay24:Many thanks for the responses. Sounds like they are not going to be getting much more hd content

Yeah I though that would be the case, I knew about the limitations on freeview but I am guessing that they will get 5 in the end and that will be about it 5 is/will be the maximum...

It does seem that freesat just doesn't have the impact to draw the channels in.

The biggest problem for Freesat atm, imo, is the broadcasters most likely to launch HD channels on Freesat (ITV/C4/C5) are/have been in a financial mess, hence C4/C5 doing 'exclusivity' deals with Sky and ITV going payTV with its additional HD channels

I wonder if it will be able to keep sales going now freeview hd is here.

Sales figures still seem to be showing steady growth (1.25 million sales as of Q2 2010)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts