admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Why did iPods take off and leave other competitors standing? In my opinion they are no better, and were certainly not the best at the time the craze started, than its rivals.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Much of it had to do with iTunes, I reckon, which is brilliantly simple and works seemlessly with iPods. Did you ever try Sony's Connect system? It was a nightmare, and drove millions of us into Apple's arms...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Usability was (and is) indeed a major factor. Both iTunes and the iPod are incredibly intuitive - as well as attractive - and as far away from the arcane software other manufacturers still persist in using as you can get.

I've been testing MP3 players for almost 10 years now (yes, they have been going that long!), and the iPod was the first product to be a lifestyle/music choice rather than a computing accessory.

And since the 3rd-gen onwards, they've consistently been the best-sounding, too.

A

Anonymous

I do have a Sony VAIO VGF-AP1L, which came with the Sonicstage and Connect software bundle. Cant say I had any problem with it. And I would rather have this player than any iPod.

A

Anonymous

I agree with you Richard. I don't see why people have such a problem with Sonic Stage. I'd still prefer the ability to drag and drop via Windows Explorer rather than being forced to use the software. Admittedly iTunes is a decent music library to play music, but it only syncs with iPods, which I don't have or really want.

It's not that hard to select tracks in the Sonic Stage library and transfer them onto the Sony media player. Sonic Stage is now being dropped by Sony in favour of Windows Media Player, why not just let people drag and drop too?

A

Anonymous

Just got the PS3 and connected it to my Vaio player via usb. The PS3 can then access my music and photos to play and manage. I don't know if this is similar to what iPod compatability is like but, I really liked it.

A

Anonymous

You know what. I'm sorely tempted to get a PS3 next year when they add PVR capabilities to it. It justs seems to do it all. Is it really THAT good?

A

Anonymous

If you want a good Blu-ray player, can live without the HD audio for a while, can use the conroller for playing BDs and DVDs, its supoib. I would advise that an internet connection is prefferable not really optional. And I do agree with the WHF reviewers on the whole controller being a pain in the posterior to use on BDs and DVDs. Don't buy a no brand HDMI cable though. They really are bad. The only other thing is the limited number of titles on BD and number of games released, although as you think you are going to wait, that won't be such a problem.

I love;
Its Blu-ray ability, its connectivity, its dvd ability, games in digital surround sound.

I hate;
Its relatively poor CD playback, not being able to transfer my PS2 save games from the old memory card, using the controller for dvds, oh god, it really is that bad!

A

Anonymous

Can you connect the PS3 to an amp with a coaxial cable or is the rather less than impressive optical the only option? I'd go with multichannel audio but I don't imagine the PS3 has the outputs. Frankly i have no intention of using it to play any games at all.

A

Anonymous

Optical is the best unless you have a receiver with HDMI 1.3a and all the decoders in it.

A

Anonymous

Well maybe I'll have won the Onkyo competition and then I will have! :) But with my ONE LEGITIMATE entry, I highly doubt it LOL.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts