ipod audio formats

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an iPod (Classic) and putting my music collection on it, and then playing it back through my HifI.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to mix formats on the iPod? Some of my music I would want to use the best format (WAV; apple lossless?) possible. The rest I would happily use in compressed format. Is this possible or does everything on the ipod have to be in the same format?

2) My Receiver has an MP3 enhancement facility to improve the quality of compressed music. If I played uncompressed music back through the HiFi, should I connect the iPod dock through this facility or would i be better to use other connections ( i.e.would the Receiver try to decompress sound that hasn't been compressed in the first place?)

Whilst my knowledge of normal HiFi etc. is reasonable I know nothing about MP3s etc. - as you've probably guessed by now - so any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
1) Yes, you can mix-and-match away - not only different file formats, but different bit-rates, too: i've got everything from compressed AAC and MP3 downloads (yuck - for my tiny-capacity Nano, honest!) to Apple Lossless and WAV files on my iPods.

2) most receivers have pass-through modes for uncompressed audio, but it's worth checking - also, don't be afraid to experiment with different connections/modes until you get the one that suits your music (and ears!) best.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare - that's brilliant .

My Christmas list is coming together nicely!!

TRENDING THREADS