iPlayer now defunct on Samsung TVs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've read elsewhere that many other Samsung TV owners are experiencing the same problem; since the last firmware upgrade the iPlayer is now missing the 'play' button. i.e. nobody can use the iPlayer anymore!

I've contacted Samsung and they've basically shurgged their shoulders and said it's the BBC's fault and they need to fix it. However, they did say the BBC are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. Still waiting to hear back from the BBC to see if that is actually the case.

I've only just bought my set, so haven't even used the iPlayer yet, almost sent it back as faulty before doing a quick google

Has anyone else got further info or worked out a 'work around'?

Thanks,

A

Anonymous

I checked my TV (Samsung UE40D7000) again last night and it definitely does not work, the first featured programme will play, but nothing else as the play button disappears). Also checked my bluray player (Samsung BD-D6500) and that seems to work fine.

I checked firmware versions of the TV and Bluray - both appear to be the same. Is the TV faulty then?

A

Anonymous

I'm having the same problem with a new D6350 - I don't think it's a fault with the TV as such, but a problem with incompatible firmware between Samsung and the BBC. I have the latest firmware (1016) and it seems that this is what has caused the problem. I emailed Samsung who said they are aware of the problem with iPlayer - the BBC have apparently told them that it is a network speed error and they are working to fix it. Samsung also said that they would release new firmware once the problem has been solved. I've also contacted the BBC who replied to say that they are aware that some Samsung TV users are having problems with iPlayer and they are working to fix it but cannot give a timescale as to when it might be fixed. A waiting game, I'm afraid...but interesting to see that Samsung have now removed firmware 1016 from my product's support page and made 1015.1 available again! My TV won't recognise it though unfortunately :( Samsung support suggested hardwiring the TV to the router via ethernet cable to see if that would help but it doesn't (and I didn't expect it would, to be honest, given it's a firmware update that's needed...). Hope this helps to shed a bit of light on the problem for you though!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. I've had a reply from the BBC now too, saying pretty much the same as you say. In the meantime they've suggested clearing the cache and ensuring cookies are enabled along with java. Not sure how I'd do that on a TV though?

Guess we'll have to sit this one out until the new firmware is available, not an ideal situation though seeing as iPlayer is the only thing worth having on the Smart Hub.

[sigh]

A

Anonymous

Just to update in case you didn't know - Samsung has now released new firmware which makes iPlayer work again! I did have a minor blip where the iPlayer refused to believe I was based in the UK, but it seems to have resolved itself automatically and all the programmes work perfectly - no disappearing of play button!

A

Anonymous

Actually, just to update the above: iPlayer doesn't believe I'm based in the UK if I access programmes via the "Home" screen, but all works perfectly if I access programmes via the "TV" tab. Just a heads-up in case you have the same problem!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the update. I'll check it out later, fingers crossed!

Cheers!

T

the record spot

Apologies for derailing this thread but there's a slight glitch with the iPlayer interface on my Sony KDL-32CX523. I can connect to the iPlayer fine and use it without a hitch, but if I choose a programme then decide not to watch it, there's no "Back" option - end result you need to click on one of the main category header links at the top of the screen ("TV", "Radio", etc), or search for "More Episodes" which might not be appropriate.

It doesn't take especially long to get back to where you are, but it's a clunky approach. Doesn't happen on the old EX503, just the current model. Does anyone have a similar problem?

A

Anonymous

One year on and I have the same problem. I have just bought a LT27 A750 and whilst i-player works playing a single programme, if I try to play another there is no play icon. I have to turn off and on again and it reappears. The software and firmware is up-to-date. Any ideas? thanks.

A

Anonymous

:) Hi we sorted our problem! I contacted Samsung yesterday re this iplayer issue in our UE37D6530WK tv. After several useless resets they advised there is more up to date firmware than 1016.0. They are now up to 21.1. The problem is the tv can't see it when we check for upgrades and they couldn't tell me when it would be able to. This is very odd as you would think they would want it available asap to their technology. The solution was to download the firmware via my laptop to a USB stick and then to donthe tv upgrade from the USb stick. It worked fine and didn't take to long but I would question all consumers would be able to do this either their computer skills or that they have a usb stick lying around. The firmware was 113 mg. The alternative is that they will mail it to you on a stick that will take up to 10 days. This is what I did:

1.Download the file from this link http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/FM/201207/20120706200732035/T-GASDEUC_1021.1.exe to a USB stick or onto your pc then copy to the USB stick. It takes about 5 mins.

2. Double click on the file and choose to extract the files as prompted. A few mins.

3. Put the USB stick into the USB slot on your tv.

4. Pres the menu button, select support > software upgrade> by USB

5. You will get a message scanning for USB and if then a message that the tv has found it. Press ok and as prompted and then allow into upgrade and restart the tv. About 5 mins.

6. When complete you will get a box saying the upgrade is completed and can test your Iplayer.

If your tv is different model and you need different firmware call +44 (0)1932 454358 and ask them to send you the link and instructions. Good luck and hope this works for you. Until BBC release a new version and they are out of step again...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts