IPL acoustics DIY speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm thinking about buying a DIY speaker kit, as a good fun fall project.

But is't worth it building your own speakers? Is there any econimic benefits DIY?

Google found IPL Acoustics selling DIY kits. Has anyone heard theese IPL speakers?

I'm looking at this kit:

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/S5tl%20Kevlar%202.htm

Any recommendations to this "stupid" idea? :grin:

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
A

Anonymous

Crossie said:
I have built speakers from http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/index.asp and certainly recommend the DIY route as the best way to maximise your SQ per pound. My attempt is here http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/diy-speakers-bass-extenders . I have in the past done some research on IPL DIY speaker kits and everything comes up positive, although I have not actually built or heard them myself. Give them a go and be sure to let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Crossie

Wow your speakers look excellent - good job you have done! I'm very impressed :)

My concers is the finish work. You need to look at them everyday, so the result must be good - elsewhere is waste of money.

I was thinking about buying a proffesional white spray paint, or foil them myselve using white hi gloss foil....

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
IPL cabinets are made from MDF and require iron on veneers (at extra cost) to finish them or you can spray them. Wilmslow cabinets are also made from MDF but can be supplied already veneered (at extra cost) or even fully built (but this has a considerable cost). It is really not difficult to produce a very acceptable standard of finish if you take your time and have minimal hand skills and tools. Go on you know you want to...>) .

A

Anonymous

Today my Missions was picked up, by it's new owner.

S5ti here we go....
smiley-cool.gif

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Designed and built my own speakers in Oz, with mixed success. Have to say that few of my designs matched the sound I expected from them, but at least my friends got free speakers.

Kits were how I began, and they at least guarantee decent results. Are they better than commercial products? Maybe when I started at uni, but I doubt it now, having done a fair bit of listening. However, still worth the effort, and you learn a lot - and get to admire professional speaker designers one helluva lot!

P.S. The terms IPL and transmission line go hand in hand - real serious stuff. Might give them a bell myself - we're heading down to Devon later in the year...

PPS. Iron-on veneers aren't too hard and look great. Somewhere I've some pics of the stuff I did with just a sharp knife and an iron - will see if I can dig them up if you want a squiz.

A

Anonymous

I believe IPL are transmission line speakers so expect a lot of deep bass with these. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi

Just a little update...

I've nearly finished the speakers - I'm in the painting/finish phase.

It have been really fun and instructive so far :)

Some mood pictures....:

970ef63d.jpg

33abc334.jpg

e44f748d.jpg

00a0078e.jpg

I still need to add the top paint (hi gloss), so there is still some work to do.

Can't wait to hear them alive....
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi

I'm in the running in phase at the moment, and the soundstage is far over my expectations :)

The low end is just amazing - really deep and rich without any boomy bas. Also I have no standing waves anymore - had a lot of trouble with that, with my old Mission speakers.

The Fountek CD3.0 ribbon tweeeter is excelent - crystal clear without any harsh sound.

Sonically my dreams has been repaid and more so. Also at a price, where no factory produced speakers can match.

I still need to paint the top coat (high gloss), but I don't have the time at the moment, so therefore the black tape over the holes for the front grille. Also I need to apply the port grille....

7492ac0d.jpg

A

Anonymous

I bought a pair of MTL3's from IPL about 5 years ago - without even demo'ing them! Ivan at IPL reassured me that these would give the sound I wanted and boy he was SO right! Fabulous bass, sweet highs, well-presented mids with no colouration or standing waves - they just ROCK. The overall sound from a transmission line has to be heard to be believed and would def recommend IPL and also Wilmslow Audio, although they didnt quite have the sound I wanted.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
You could try painting them in two pack polyeurethane gloss white, if you have anywhere to safely spray them. Alternatively, get an auto body shop to paint them for you.

They look really good by the way.

I've just checked out their website and they are only up the road from me, hmmm, a visit perhaps?

A

Anonymous

Hi

Projekt finished
smiley-cool.gif

Excellent value for money - amazing soundstage

Some fresh pictures:

P1040129.jpg

P1040128.jpg

P1040127.jpg

P1040126.jpg

P1040125.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow they look fantastic great veneer.

I nearly bought a kit myself and eventually bought my PMC's

Sound wise have you compared them to anything?

longmanjon

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have had fb1 before and currently naim allae, they are better than the pmc by quite a way and the nails but not quite enough bass to better the naims. Whic is why I will be building the s4tl next like the above. Is diy worth the money and effort yes for sure. If you do it right they can look as good as the mass made ones. With the veneer just use a router with a edge finisher.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
You have me looking at the IPL website again! I was going to upgrade to some Harbeth's you have me thinking again.

Do have any woodworking experience for the veneering? ie how you joined the sheets at the front to form the mirror image i assume its 2 sheets?

I was probally going for the Mtl1 kit the first time round. Some more pics would be great.

longmanjon

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
No my woodworking was awful at school, I am/was an engineer so have skills I suppose but the kit is straightforward. Most important is the tools. You don't need to join at the front as the sheet is big enough, the side had to be joined, but it's iron on sheets and is quite easy. Finishing with a router is the key bit for a good edge finish

take a look here also this is where I got a lot of info http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?106785-DIY-IPL-Acoustics-Transmission-Line-S4tl-Speaker-Kit-Build

Splash

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
longmanjon, those look really nice. Good job there.

I've already decided that building a pair of IPLs will be my next project. I'm still undecided though... it's between the smaller M1tlm or the S2tlp model like yours. I would love to build the S4s but that might be pushing it a little too far with my wife.

I'll probably settle on the S2s for that added depth in the bass and I'll also attempt to finish them in a high gloss / piano white. I suspect that the finishing might be harder and more time consuming than the cabinet construction.

longmanjon

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
it will depend on the room size initially, as ivan states the suggested room size per speaker on his site.

i found it very enjoyable. hence why im building the s4tl next.

there is a guy on ebay that sells the granite bases, if you like them. think it cost around £40 in total after getting the holed drilled.

gloss looks good but will depend on how its done, not sure how easy it is to do yourself, but you could get a car body shop to do it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts