iPhone 5 lightning USB audio out to DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've got a Teac UD-H01 DAC on order as part of my first seperates system :).

Would be possible to use my iPhone 5 to output digital USB audio to the DAC, using the lighting cable and a USB A to B adaptor? (My laptop will be my primary source.)

Apparently this is possible for at least some DACs/headphone amps, such as the HRT iStreamer... but is this because it's specific to 'iDevices'?

(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=446158398755547&set=a.225006564204066.53070.140126559358734&type=1&theater)

Cheers,

Matthew

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi John,

I'm afraid your second thought was correct. The TEAC will not work with Apple devices via USB. You would have to get a doc that outputs an optical signal for the UD-H01.

The iStreamer works because HRT pay big licence fees to Apple to unlock the digital audio. Devices that can unlock digital from an iDevice are very expensive for what they are or in the case of the iStreamer - not very good. Apple's digital out via USB is also not a standard format (unlike the new Galaxy phones - S3 / Note2) so the iStreamer and many other similar dvices only work with iDevices and not computers unless they have dual USB inputs like the Sony PHA-1 or CEntrance Hifi M8.

A

Anonymous

Apple are criminals - shame I like their products! Thanks again quadpatch.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
You're welcome! If you have £400+ to spend on a new portable DAC the iPhone has a few nice options but I'm not convinced that anyone will see much benefit of a dac while outside and with background noise. Besides at that price you might as well get a portable player that has a good DAC like the Colorfly C4, Hifiman HM801 or iBasso DX100. All of those are about the same size as portable iPhone DACs. Plus then you don't need the iPhone and you'll get more storage.

A

Anonymous

Oh yes, I don't bother with a DAC when I'm out and about, just a tiny Fiio E6 with my Phonak IEMs. The reference players are certainly more of an aspiration that anything else atm...

I was being hopeful more than anything that I'd be able to quickly hook my phone up to my DAC/HiFi when I couldn't be bothered using my laptop. Thanks anyway.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I appreciate that. It would be nice and convinient to be able to do this with more phones on more DACs. Even the Galaxy phones don't work with everything, Somebody has made a list on Head-fi and I think there are about 30 or so machines that will communicate with them. Only 2 of mine work, which I was a bit dissapointed with considering it's apparently 'standard' USB audio. I was most annoyed that the two Yulong DACs and Audiolab don't work because these are the best mains powered DAC/amps that I have :(

A

Anonymous

I own a dacmagic and the new ipad 4.

With the ipad 3 i could connect dacmagic to ipad direct via. The apple 30pin to usbfemale adaptor.

Can i do the same with the new lightning to usb adaptor?

And i own a noname usb female to usb B male adaptor.

Can I connect that one on back of dacmagic so the usb B female on back becomes ordinary female usb and the connect the lightning cable that came with ipad?

Havent tried it since i dont know what will happen!

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Silver78 said:
I own a dacmagic and the new ipad 4.

With the ipad 3 i could connect dacmagic to ipad direct via. The apple 30pin to usbfemale adaptor.

Can i do the same with the new lightning to usb adaptor?

Is this the USB camera connection kit? I've heard that this is the only way to get standard USB audio out of an Apple device, that it doesn't work out of an iPod or iPhone because they're a special Apple USB audio (not compatible with anything that isn't specifically made for Apple).

Silver78 said:
And i own a noname usb female to usb B male adaptor.

Can I connect that one on back of dacmagic so the usb B female on back becomes ordinary female usb and the connect the lightning cable that came with ipad?

Havent tried it since i dont know what will happen!

You should just try this. It wont blow anything up, it'll either work or it wont. You're lucky that the DACMagic works with the iPad at all. The Galaxy S3 and Note 2 output standard USB audio but most of the DACs I've tried (Yulong U100, D100 mkII, Audiolab M-DAC) have not supported it :(

A

Anonymous

Obviously, I'd also be interested to find out if this works. I'll try my iPhone with my TEAC DAC when it arrives, but I'm not getting my hopes up...

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
john_caius said:
Obviously, I'd also be interested to find out if this works. I'll try my iPhone with my TEAC DAC when it arrives, but I'm not getting my hopes up...
The TEAC may work with an iPad but definitely not an iPhone or iPod. Feel free to try it though :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts