Connecting Iphone/Ipod to Rega Saturn DAC

balderroug

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

I recently bought a Rega Saturn CD-player. It has an integral DAC. I would like to know if it is possible to play my digital ALAC files through either my mac computer, or through an iPhone 5/iPod, via the Saturns DAC. Do any of you tech-savy people know anything about this? Please help me out!!!!!!

Excuse my awkwardness, this is my first post in this forum.

// Balder

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
balderroug said:
Hello.

I recently bought a Rega Saturn CD-player. It has an integral DAC. I would like to know if it is possible to play my digital ALAC files through either my mac computer, or through an iPhone 5/iPod, via the Saturns DAC. Do any of you tech-savy people know anything about this? Please help me out!!!!!!

// Balder

You need to check your player, but as far as I know it has digital outs only.

So the answer is no.

Unless you have the latest Saturn R, which does have digital inputs. Which do you have?

balderroug

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
balderroug said:
Hello.

// Balder

So the answer is no.

Unless you have the latest Saturn R, which does have digital inputs. Which do you have?

Thanks for you swift reply.

Sorry for being vague, yes, I do have the new Saturn R. Which includes both digital ins and outs.

//

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
balderroug said:
davedotco said:
balderroug said:
Hello.

// Balder

So the answer is no.

Thanks for you swift reply.

Sorry for being vague, yes, I do have the new Saturn R. Which includes both digital ins and outs.

//

Excellent. Then it depends on what source you want to play.

If it is a computer, then the best way forward would be to connect via usb, the Saturn R will work as a very high quality outboard 'sound card'. Some computers will also have coax or toslink connectors (digital spdif), though the usb should be better.

Getting a digital signal out of an iThing is more complex. It is available from the multipin but only if you buy a dock that is Apple licenced. Your choice is limited depending on which connector you have on your iThings.

An altogether more convenient solution would be to use an AEX (or ATV) and stream wirelessly from any of your iThings. Either unit will connect to your Saturn R via Toslink optical. You will need a Toslink to mini-Toslink cable or a regular Toslink cable with an adaptor. You will have to set either of these units up on your network but that is not difficult if you do your homework.

you've kinda got me wondering why you would buy a Saturn-r then play your music through your ipod? as i'm assuming you already own the original cd, and have ripped it to itunes, then loaded it onto your ipod!

if you are dooing this for convenience, then the rega dac would have been a more functional purchase, yeah?

balderroug

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Well bigfish786, it is slightly more complex than that. I have quite recently moved to GB, and some records are still in my previous apartment. Also, sometimes it is nice to let people play music of their choice during parties etc, without forcing them to forsake beverages in favour of compact discs.

//

balderroug

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much mate. I'll look into it. I do quite like my iThings sometimes, but considering that the connector varies between an iPod and modern iPhone, one can not help but wonder why the late Mr Jobs felt like making life complicated for technical knobs like myself. Thank god there are folks like yourself that takes time to clear these things out for me

//

balderroug

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
[/quote]

If it is a computer, then the best way forward would be to connect via usb, the Saturn R will work as a very high quality outboard 'sound card'. Some computers will also have coax or toslink connectors (digital spdif), though the usb should be better.

Getting a digital signal out of an iThing is more complex. It is available from the multipin but only if you buy a dock that is Apple licenced. Your choice is limited depending on which connector you have on your iThings.

An altogether more convenient solution would be to use an AEX (or ATV) and stream wirelessly from any of your iThings. Either unit will connect to your Saturn R via Toslink optical. You will need a Toslink to mini-Toslink cable or a regular Toslink cable with an adaptor. You will have to set either of these units up on your network but that is not difficult if you do your homework.

[/quote]

Thank you so much mate. I'll look into it. I do quite like my iThings sometimes, but considering that the connector varies between an iPod and modern iPhone, one can not help but wonder why the late Mr Jobs felt like making life complicated for technical knobs like myself. Thank god there are folks like yourself that takes time to clear these things out for me

//

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

[/quote]

//

[/quote]

Given the difference in connectors i think you should look closely at using an AEX. Has to be the way to do.

balderroug

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
Cool. as long as you are happy with what you've got. i'm personally not a fan of ipod quality music. i prefer my cd player.

if i had the saturn-r i'd be very happy indeed.

I can understand that. I have duplicated most of my iTunes library with ALAC files though, that I keep on an external drive. If I can drive those files through my Saturn DAC, the sound quality should be pretty good. It is impossible to beat CD quality though.

I am indeed very happy, I might add.

//

balderroug

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:

//

[/quote]

Given the difference in connectors i think you should look closely at using an AEX. Has to be the way to do.

[/quote]

Thank you Dave! I know nothing about AEX or ATV. Can you recommend any specific products for me?

//

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
balderroug said:
davedotco said:

//

[/quote]

Thank you Dave! I know nothing about AEX or ATV. Can you recommend any specific products for me?

//

[/quote]

These are not technology but specific components. The Airport Express (AEX) and Apple TV (ATV) allow you to stream wirelessly from your iThings and via a toslink connector to your Saturn R.

You need to be able to add either device to your home network but that is not difficult but requiring of some research.

Once set up your iThings will stream music to your system and you will be able to control playback exactly the same as if you are using headphones, you can even do the same from your computer. Just make sure that you know how to set up just one source at a time and switch between them.

Go to Apple's website and start researching the AEX and ATV.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Balder

There is some good, but disparate, advice on the forum - you'll have to decide which suits your situation best.

As a long-time user of Apple gear, I thought I'd throw in my two pennies. Given what you have said so far, my suggested approach for you would be to play your music straight from your Mac, preferably via Asynchronous USB if your Saturn R can accept it. This will require your Mac to be close to your DAC, but you can then control iTunes on your Mac using the excellent (& free!) Remote app on your iPhone. This would be my preferred approach as it should give you the best sound quality for near-zero outlay.

If your Mac is too far from your DAC for a USB cable (no more than 5m, but the shorter the better), you could use either an Airport Express (AEX) or Apple TV as a wireless (or preferably wired- it's more stable) 'digital data source' to get the data to your DAC. A couple of points to consider, though: the AEX suffers from jitter, especially the 2nd gen device. I have three AEX boxes, two 1st gen and one 2nd gen. I can't use the 2nd gen AEX with my Audiolab 8200CDQ (CD & DAC) - the DAC loses 'lock' about every few seconds making it impossible to listen to. However, the same AEX works with my Beresford Bushmaster. So, whilst these devices should 'just work' (like most Apple kit), using them with 'high-end' kit can throw up some issues. I don't have an ATV, so can't comment on that.

Final point. AEX and ATV can only send data to a DAC via optical Toslink cable, and are limited to 16 bit 44kHz data rates. This means you can't use asynchronous USB, where the DAC 'pulls' the data using it's internal clock which should result in better sound quality. Being limited to 16/44, AEX and ATV cannot transfer Hi-Def files, and are therefore not very 'future proof'. You may not be bothered about these two points - I am willing to sacrifice sound quality during 'social listening'! - but I thought I'd mention them before you spend £100 on an ATV or AEX.

I hope that's been helpful - it was intended to be!

Good luck!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BMFDrums said:
Hi, Balder

There is some good, but disparate, advice on the forum - you'll have to decide which suits your situation best.

As a long-time user of Apple gear, I thought I'd throw in my two pennies. Given what you have said so far, my suggested approach for you would be to play your music straight from your Mac, preferably via Asynchronous USB if your Saturn R can accept it. This will require your Mac to be close to your DAC, but you can then control iTunes on your Mac using the excellent (& free!) Remote app on your iPhone. This would be my preferred approach as it should give you the best sound quality for near-zero outlay.

If your Mac is too far from your DAC for a USB cable (no more than 5m, but the shorter the better), you could use either an Airport Express (AEX) or Apple TV as a wireless (or preferably wired- it's more stable) 'digital data source' to get the data to your DAC. A couple of points to consider, though: the AEX suffers from jitter, especially the 2nd gen device. I have three AEX boxes, two 1st gen and one 2nd gen. I can't use the 2nd gen AEX with my Audiolab 8200CDQ (CD & DAC) - the DAC loses 'lock' about every few seconds making it impossible to listen to. However, the same AEX works with my Beresford Bushmaster. So, whilst these devices should 'just work' (like most Apple kit), using them with 'high-end' kit can throw up some issues. I don't have an ATV, so can't comment on that.

Final point. AEX and ATV can only send data to a DAC via optical Toslink cable, and are limited to 16 bit 44kHz data rates. This means you can't use asynchronous USB, where the DAC 'pulls' the data using it's internal clock which should result in better sound quality. Being limited to 16/44, AEX and ATV cannot transfer Hi-Def files, and are therefore not very 'future proof'. You may not be bothered about these two points - I am willing to sacrifice sound quality during 'social listening'! - but I thought I'd mention them before you spend £100 on an ATV or AEX.

Good luck!

Nice summing up.

Just to add that my First Generation AEX, a later dual band model, has worked consistenly with a variety of dacs for some years. If the setup is possible then use the Mac via usb for best quality and an AEX for mor casual 'social' listening.

All selectable on the Saturn R.

balderroug

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
BMFDrums said:
Hi, Balder

Good luck!

Thank you for the detailed information!!!!!! Really appreciate your advice.

Simplicity is key, so I am probably just going to plug my Mac via USB into the Saturn, and all other iThings via an iChord AUX cable (two ins, AUX out) connected to the Brio. The latter option is mainly for social occations etc, so there's no need to complicate things excessively.

However, I do have an ATV, and just out of curiosity, do you think it will sound better to go via that and into the Saturn, than to use the iChord on the brio?

Again, thank you very much for your pennies.

//

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Just so I am clear, why do you want to play music off your iThings if you can plug the DAC straight into your Mac? You can do everything straight from the Mac, and make use of the (free) Mac Remote App, which allows you to control iTunes from your iPhone/iPad to choose tracks, select playlists, add songs to the Up Next list, adjust volume (although maybe not when using USB - I haven't tried that), etc. If you already have all of your music on the Mac (which I assume you do, if you are using the Mac to sync to your iThings), then just play everything from there using the Remote App. This gives you the best SQ and maximum flexibility for the price of a USB cable - bonus!

My suggestion is that you download the App and give it a go without connecting to the DAC. For £0.00, it's the best money you'll spend this year...!

All the best, and please do let us know what you decide/find.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BMFDrums said:
Just so I am clear, why do you want to play music off your iThings if you can plug the DAC straight into your Mac? You can do everything straight from the Mac, and make use of the (free) Mac Remote App, which allows you to control iTunes from your iPhone/iPad to choose tracks, select playlists, add songs to the Up Next list, adjust volume (although maybe not when using USB - I haven't tried that), etc. If you already have all of your music on the Mac (which I assume you do, if you are using the Mac to sync to your iThings), then just play everything from there using the Remote App. This gives you the best SQ and maximum flexibility for the price of a USB cable - bonus!

My suggestion is that you download the App and give it a go without connecting to the DAC. For £0.00, it's the best money you'll spend this year...!

Absolutely, definitely the way to go providing computer and CD player are in close proximity.

The use of an AEX or ATV is primarily convenience and socialability, having someone turn up and be able to play from their iThing, whilst sat on the sofa is cool and fun.

balderroug

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
BMFDrums said:

Just for convenience. Sometimes, people come over with their iThings and I, being the good host I always strive to be, would of course like to give them the opportunity of running their music through my system. Sometimes, spotify/youtube is enough, and sometimes, it's nice to just hook the unit up via AUX, and let them play whatever.

I have taken all your advice to heart though, and I will definitely look to buy a proper USB connector sometime this week.

//

balderroug

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
BMFDrums said:

Absolutely, definitely the way to go providing computer and CD player are in close proximity.

The use of an AEX or ATV is primarily convenience and socialability, having someone turn up and be able to play from their iThing, whilst sat on the sofa is cool and fun.

Oh, I do like "cool and fun".

//

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
balderroug said:
davedotco said:
BMFDrums said:

Oh, I do like "cool and fun".

//

Apple speak for 'geeky'....... ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts