iPad to TV connector

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I do love my Marantz BDP, but I wish it had the functionality of the Sony S570 I have in the main lounge. Mainly I want to watch iplayer in tv room. A new bdp, tv or even a ps3 seems a bit wasteful to just get iplayer.
I have an iPad and regularly (every day) use the iplayer app on it. So if I bought one of the iPad - tv leads will I be able to watch the app on my big screen.

As an Apple user I'm well aware of the perplexing barriers they sometimes put in your way, and I have noted with some online comments that it's not as straightforward as simply displaying the iPad screen on the tv.

Has anybody any experience of using it this way ?

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Yes, you can do this and I use the component cables. However, you can't use the dedicated iplayer app as only the sound comes through. You can access iplayer via safari though and it works very well. I have an ipad2 and once iOS5 comes out i'll be getting an apple tv2 and mirroring. The cables aren't cheap and the £60 difference on the apple tv is worth it, in my opinion...if that's an option for you.

Paul.

Hi Richard, do you have the first iPad or an iPad 2? The HDMI dongle will only display photos etc on the original. You can only get HDMI mirroring of apps with iPad 2. Unless of course you jaibreak ;) Same deal with the Apple TV, Airplay mirroring only comes on the iPad 2.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul : I have the iPad 1.

As Chisy1 suggested (I think, not very techie) could I view iplayer in Safari, which is what I did very happily before the app came out.

Paul.

I havent used iPlayer on the iPad either in app form or on the web (that reminds me I need to watch topgear...) The problem you have is that the iPad 1 cannot mirror safari over airplay or hdmi, unless you jailbreak and install the appropriate software (will look in to doing this myself once a stable jailbreak of iOS 5 has been released as I want airplay mirroring on my original iPad)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Oh well. Good idea while it lasted.
I have my pc in study, but as it's a tiny Zino with hdmi out so I could connect it to my amp in tv room and it won't get in way too much. Not really what I wanted as I look to do any pc work at a desk.

What higher quality bdps will match the functionality of my Sony (wireless is a bonus). No matter what a lot of people say on here although the 570 is very good it can't match my Marantz for PQ.

TRENDING THREADS