Intergrated amp for cd listening

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello

Im looking to add an intergrated amp to my system. It will be used for listening to cd only. Im looking to spend around £1500 and would like something with a slim profile if possible as Im running out of space. I want to get the best from my MA RX8's and will be looking to upgrade my cd player in the near future also. I listen to pop, dance, hip hop and reggae. I live near a sevenoaks store and a superfi store so I have a good choice of makes.

Any suggestions?

I will demo before I buy and would like a short list before I go shopping.

Thanks in advance

Hi

Given you have RX8, which are very bass heavy, I'd be looking at Leema Pulse (new version) which is fairly slim. The added bonus is it has an in-built DAC, which is handy if you require, at some point, to dabble with downlods. Not heard the new version, the previous model is stonking.

Going a little cheaper, Creek produce some fabulous slim amps, ranging the EvoII upwards. But really, you're going to have to audition.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at naim which are 70mm high and also roksan caspian which are 80mm high. Dont really want to go much higher 80mm. Width is no problem as they are all about the same. I would consider cyrus but have heard mixed views on they're compatibility with monitor audio?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That rules out a lot of amps - even Bel Canto is 88mm.

Check out Electrocompaniet - I think some of their amps are 70mm.

Cno

A

Anonymous

If you don't need a remote (or you have a universal), how about the Densen B-110 (+)? All Densen boxes are 64mm in height. Don't know how they match with MA though, but given your source (Marantz), I think it will work fine.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tremon said:
If you don't need a remote (or you have a universal), how about the Densen B-110 (+)? All Densen boxes are 64mm in height. Don't know how they match with MA though, but given your source (Marantz), I think it will work fine.

Great suggestion from Tremon.

Another magical (unique) amp to consider is the Lavardin IS - very musical, but basic spec (no remote).

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Where do you buy Densen amps from? I would love a Lavardin amp but its way over budget. As for a remote I dont use one so it would only stay in the box. Nice suggestions though thanks!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ben K. said:
Thanks for the replies. Where do you buy Densen amps from? I would love a Lavardin amp but its way over budget. As for a remote I dont use one so it would only stay in the box. Nice suggestions though thanks!!

Denson: Check their website to find nearest dealer.

Lavardin: Got carried away with the dimensions and forgot about the price...although the "IS" is a lot cheaper than the "IS Reference". You could well get close to your budget for an ex-dem Lavardin IS.

Cno

Ben K. said:
Hello Im looking to add an intergrated amp to my system. It will be used for listening to cd only. Im looking to spend around £1500 and would like something with a slim profile if possible as Im running out of space. I want to get the best from my MA RX8's and will be looking to upgrade my cd player in the near future also. I listen to pop, dance, hip hop and reggae. I live near a sevenoaks store and a superfi store so I have a good choice of makes. Any suggestions? I will demo before I buy and would like a short list before I go shopping. Thanks in advance

Hi Ben K

How are you going to use the new amp with your existing system?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rick

I want to connect my new amp to my reciever via the recievers pre outs for cinema. Cd will be connected to new amp and I will use the new amp on its own with just the cd player and front speakers for stereo music.

I will upgrade my cd player after the new amp for similar money.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

In that case you need an integrated amplifier that has a power-amp mode, completely bypassing the pre-amp circuitry. Most newer Marantz amplifiers and the Arcam A38 have such a mode, but they do not meet your height criterion. The Densen B-110 does have a dedicated "processor mode" which suggests it can do the same thing, but you'd better ask before buying.

Otherwise, you need to use the tape loop, or perhaps the zone2 outputs (check if you have a "zone2 follows zone1" setting). But that means that your front channels do not follow the volume from the receiver.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I have read on another thread that it can be done with any amp. As long as the volume control on the stereo amp is returned to the same position each time. Have a look on this thread http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/what-cables-do-i-need-for-connecting-stereo-amp-to-av-receiver.

I will have to make sure though before I make a purchase.

A

Anonymous

Ben K. said:
I have read on another thread that it can be done with any amp. As long as the volume control on the stereo amp is returned to the same position each time.
Yes, it can be done. I'm sure that at one time I did include that in my reply, but must have snipped it when I posted.

The problem is with signal levels. A typical line-level signal has a maximum amplitude of 2V, whereas the signal coming from your preouts will have a maximum amplitude of about 0.45V (-10dBV). That means you will have to set your integrated to insane levels to match the surround amp. But yes, it can be done.

-- I just tested this here: to match the volume levels, I must set the volume on my integrated (Marantz PM7003) to about 75%, whereas I normally listen at levels of 20-30%.

Ben K. said:
Hi Rick I want to connect my new amp to my reciever via the recievers pre outs for cinema. Cd will be connected to new amp and I will use the new amp on its own with just the cd player and front speakers for stereo music. I will upgrade my cd player after the new amp for similar money. Thanks

Hi Ben K

Thanks for your reply.

In which case i'll recommend Naim's superb Nait XS amplifier. Not only has the Nait XS got an AV bypass (which will help you to easily integrate your RX-V2065) but the amp also has quality of power (to help keep the Silver RX8's in check) and overall presentation which will suit the types of music you listen to just nicely :bigsmile:

Btw, the Nait XS has a height of 70mm :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Rick

I will put that on my audition list. I really like the look of the naim units so hopefully I'll also like the sound. The ease of connecting it to my reciever is also a big plus. What cd player would you recommend for this amp?

Thanks again

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks for the information. Its given me something to think about. I like Ricks suggestion of the naim nait xs which will bypass this problem. Im going to have to think long and hard about this as its a long term investment.

Thanks again

Ben K. said:
Thanks Rick I will put that on my audition list. I really like the look of the naim units so hopefully I'll also like the sound. The ease of connecting it to my reciever is also a big plus. What cd player would you recommend for this amp? Thanks again

Hi Ben K

Your welcome.

I would recommend the equally superb CD5 XS to pair with the Nait XS. A great match visually and sonically :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Ben K. said:
Thanks Rick I will put that on my audition list. I really like the look of the naim units so hopefully I'll also like the sound. The ease of connecting it to my reciever is also a big plus. What cd player would you recommend for this amp? Thanks again

Hi Ben K

Your welcome.

I would recommend the equally superb CD5 XS to pair with the Nait XS. A great match visually and sonically :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Would the cd5i be good or would it defeat the purpose of buying the xs amp?

Would the 5i amp/cd combo be enough for the rx8's?

Thanks for your help

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts