Interesting. PS3 2.50 enhancement

A

Anonymous

Its a great improvement Clare , for example the chance to increase the volume works a treat, some other nice features to.

A

Anonymous

Are we to assume that this new update improves blue-ray and dvd playback picture quality? Whats the chroma upsampling all about?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not sure as I didn't do considerable before and after tests - however, for the first time tonight, when comparing the upscaling between the PS3 and my Onkyo 905, the PS3 was actually visibly better - far less noise. Now this could just be the DVD I was playing (Sneakers by the way), but it's certainly worth investigating further.

nads

Love this bit.

You cannot use this feature on video content recorded in BDMV format,
including most commercially available BD video software (BD-ROM) now on
the market.

A

Anonymous

Hi nads,

Yeah, i read that bit and was a bit disappointed. ÿHowever, it seems that it works for DVD playback as well as BDs in the BDAV format.

As for testing, i've seen improvements in DVD playback across the board after Firmware 2.50, (I previously had 2.42). ÿIt made me go through my DVD collection again and it seemed to show better edge detail, colours and contrast.

Interestingly, it does seem that BD picture has been improved too...but to a much lesser extent. ÿI checked out some BD movies (that i have watched too many times!), and strangely, the biggest difference was in black detail/contrast. I find this completely odd, but 2 other family members noted the improvement and didn't know i had downloaded new firmware.

Maybe its all placebo, but it seems to have been reported on other forums.

Anybody else seen improvements or not?

Raihanÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Yeah ive just been through a few of my old faves on dvd and can see a vast improvement in colour,edge def,detail. The one that stood out is the lobby scene in Matrix which before always looked grainy and unimpressive with colours and blacks especially! Certainly gives the ps3 a much needed boost again........with the amount of improvements the player has had since first been released thank god for firmware......

A

Anonymous

When was the update possible 2.50. I think ive uploaded it i have more range on the volume control but it crackled throught my jamos and tv when you went past normal setting is this right?

A

Anonymous

Can I download updates by using a USB key?

Also if one just wants to watch Blu Ray Movies and play PS3 games without being connected to the Internet does it still pay to download updates via the Playstation website?

A

Anonymous

AFAIK yes for the key and most of the updates have nothing to do with being online. Generally its better functionality for the PS3 and dvd/BD playback so its better to keep up with the updates

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:Not sure as I didn't do considerable before and after tests - however, for the first time tonight, when comparing the upscaling between the PS3 and my Onkyo 905, the PS3 was actually visibly better - far less noise. Now this could just be the DVD I was playing (Sneakers by the way), but it's certainly worth investigating further.

PS3 upscaling better than Onkyo 905? wow.. That solves my problem with AV Receiver
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Tallyho:Can I download updates by using a USB key? Yup, you can download them from here.

Thank you Professor...I will have a go over the weekend

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts