Interconnect recommendations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
danrv said:
Have spent some time listening to the Equators and there's certainly an improvement over the QED Qunex 1. Included in the improvement is more bass which I think now is a little too much. Considering swapping them for a cable which has the detail of the Equators but not the bass weight. I've read that the Chord CrimsonPlus is a tad bass light so may swap for those.

Before spending more money, could you look at speaker positioning (further out) and room acoustics (deaden with rugs etc)? Just a thought.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Have considered speaker positioning but they're 18 inches out from back wall already (12ft X 12ft room). The level of bass from my QED Qunex 1's was just right but I'm after more detail,which the Equators deliver. I should be able to swap these at Hificables (30 day trial) so won't have to spend any more.

CA Azur 640C / Rotel RA-01 / Dali Lektor 2 / Atacam Nexus 6 spkr stands / QED Silver Ann. XT / QED Qunex 1/Atlas Equator Mkii.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Have now swapped the Equators for QED Reference Audio One interconnects.Thanks Hificables! :)
I have QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable so have gone full silver.
To me,as a pro musician there is absolutely no question that there is a difference in sound between
hifi interconnects.

The Atlas Equator has a smooth presentation (too much so for me) with strong bass and the soundstage seems to have limited vertical depth in that it doesn't extend above the speakers.

The QED Reference Audio One's have incredible detail and enhanced treble.Bass is slightly less than the Equators but sound is clear and bright due to the silver plated copper
contuctors.
Impressive midrange too.
I knew that going all silver would result in a bright sound and with a bit of use
they should mellow a tad.

A

Anonymous

I was doing some decluttering yesterday and trying to remove some of the spiders web of cables behind my system. I ended up using a £9 digital cable from my CDP to DAC and replacing an Atlas interconnect with a much cheaper IXOS one, and to be honest I think there is barely a difference - perhaps bass is slightly less pronounced now on some tracks but if anything I think I prefer that. I think the only way I would buy something expensive again, was if I could demo a selection of them and be sure that there was a worthwhile improvement. Otherwise the money is better spent on music / new tv / wine / 2nd system etc.

Re the silver sound, in my opinion it won't mellow at all - to me, the sound of certain silver plated cables is quite distinctive, to the point where I could even recognise that it was used in the windings of my speaker drivers.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
danrv said:
Have spent some time listening to the Equators and there's certainly an improvement over the QED Qunex 1. Included in the improvement is more bass which I think now is a little too much. Considering swapping them for a cable which has the detail of the Equators but not the bass weight. I've read that the Chord CrimsonPlus is a tad bass light so may swap for those.

As a suggestion you may like to check out Merlin Cables, personally as an opinion the Mozart is a seriously well made cable.WHF 5 star and group test winner.

Regards

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
p>

Re the silver sound, in my opinion it won't mellow at all - to me, the sound of certain silver plated cables is quite distinctive, to the point where I could even recognise that it was used in the windings of my speaker drivers.

[/quote]

Can't get the hang of this quote thing! Yes,I did sort of realize that but on the Atlas packaging it stated that the cables need a few hours use before judgement is made. Assuming that applies to other manufacturers also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts