Upgrading Gale Gold Monitors to Tannoy V1

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I'm sorting out a budget Cd based system for my brother and looking the upgrade the speakers.

CA Azur 640C cd player.

Arcam Delta 90.2 amp (one channel faulty,soon to replaced with Rotel RA-01) .

Gale Gold monitors.

Looking to update the speakers for something with a clearer treble and better bass. Thinking of the Tannoy Mercury V1. The Rotel and CA CD player together are on the neutral,bright side so was wondering how the Tannoys would fair with these.

They're going on Atacama Nexus 6i stands and will be fairly close to the wall/corner one side and near a cabinet the other so front ported preferrable.

Music preferences. Jazz Funk /Fusion Tower Of Power Stevie Wonder Larry Carlton Toto..... anything a bit muso.

Any help apperciated.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I have the V4's and they work brilliantly with my slightly bright kit. They provide bags of detail but never vere into harshness

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It would be too forward for my taste.....would rather have Arcam A19 / A18 or Sansui SAP 201V

Thanks for the replies. The CD and amp were mine and found them a bit bright with my Dali Lektors. Have now bought Roksan Kandy K2 combo. A pair of budget speakers would be the cheapest option rather than swapping the Rotel for an Arcam but am slightly concerned as you say,about it being too forward.

I have a local Richer Sounds so could try the Tannoys and see how they go with CA & Rotel and then swap if not suitable.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Contacted Richer in Cambridge and they're sold out of those but I think there's two new and a few ex demo ones in other stores. Unfortunately not local ones.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Phoned them and there's a few new ones left but may have to travel unless I can arrange mail order. Just don't want to rush into it just because there's not many left. If it doesn't work out it could be hassle changing it.

On the other hand I do think that CA 640C / Arcam A18 / Tannoy Mercury V1 would be a nice setup with the A18 / V1 combo calming the slightly lively presentation of the 640C.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'll go ahead I think with the Tannoy's but put the Arcam on hold. The V1's should be an improvement on the Gales so will see how the CA / Rotel / Tannoy setup goes for now.

Thanks for the replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts