Interconnect recommendations

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

It would be a weird alternative universe indeed if bits of tinned screened wire used at line level suddenly started to really make stereo systems sound different. Thank goodness they don't and never have.

Tinman1952

It would be a weird alternative universe indeed if bits of tinned screened wire used at line level suddenly started to really make stereo systems sound different. Thank goodness they don't and never have.
Some real science and a sensible view for all those who say any old cable will do and a cable is just a cable... construction matters.

Julian Stevens

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
My system is (mostly) Bryston electronics and PMC speakers and, as Van Damme are the cables that PMC use, I've used them myself for several years. The problem, though, has been a maddening and persistent brightness in the treble and glare in the midrange, the only (not really satisfactory) remedy having been to insert fixed value cement resistors to the tweeters.

Over the past five years or so, I've gradually switched away from Van Damme cables to Studio Connections (Abbey Road) Reference Plus and, though expensive (but not as expensive as quite a few others), they're truly excellent, especially the speaker cables. I managed to get a 4m pair at a very attractive price and would recommend them to anyone (full RRP is £1,600/pr).

Van Damme's 110 ohm digital cable (with XLR terminations) is, however, very good (and wonderfully inexpensive), better than any of the many BNC-terminated ones that I've yet tried (including the one made by Studio Connections). It's the only XLR-terminated one that I've tried, though, so there may be better ones available, albeit with higher price tags. I'm currently considering buying a DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 XLR digital cable, though at about £130 + import duties (from the US via eBay) and no returns, it could be a costly plunge if (in my system) it doesn't live up to expectations.

Ivabigun

Mar 5, 2022
Visit site
Last night I cleaned all my RCAs, realised there's a couple that's as old as Tower bridge.... certainly look it.

They sound okay, just looking to zhoosh up the sound a little. Other cables, which are fine, are Merlin Chopin and Chord Crimson.

Don't want to spend silly money as they are connected to the Bluray player & Sky box.

Cheers
I use " Futureshop " for a starter as they have good range of products and competitive pricing and great delivery , Right now I am building a new hifi and using QED xlr's , inters and speaker , s/woof cables , all very good and all have good review info and price ranges to suit all that could help make up your mind up which is what it is all about .

Just update on the QEDs. After a few days of listening, there is slightly more openness to the presentation. But given the cables they replaced were over 20-years old, it isn't surprising.

Good cables that replaced good cables in their day. Worth £30? Depends on your equipment priorities.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS