Interconnect recommendations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Currently using these £1 basic interconnects from the analogue RCA output of a DENAFRIPS Audio Pontus II DAC/GAIA DDC > ATC SCA2 > Kinki Studio Audio EX-M7 > Monitor Audio 5G Gold 300 > JL Audio Fathom f212 v2.

If these basic interconnects are good enough for the Pontus II DAC/GAIA DDC then I feel they'll be also be more than good enough for a SKY box -

basic interconnect 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pedro2 and nopiano
Currently using these £1 basic interconnects from the analogue RCA output of a DENAFRIPS Audio Pontus II DAC/GAIA DDC > ATC SCA2 > Kinki Studio Audio EX-M7 > Monitor Audio 5G Gold 300 > JL Audio Fathom f212 v2.

If these basic interconnects are good enough for the Pontus II DAC/GAIA DDC then I feel they'll be also be more than good enough for a SKY box -

View attachment 3249
perhaps so but those plugs are rubbish and unlikely to last unless you want to clean them frequently

View attachment 3249
Sorry Rick. They look cheap & nasty. They are the sort of I/C I used to get as a freebie

Durable they ain't, but boy would I love to see them blind tested against some fancy stuff by the audiophiles here 👍
I know personal reports get dissed here (not saying by you, btw), but my old Arcam setup allowed two outputs from the same CDP, so I could easily flip back and forth between freebies and my current interconnects. The difference in bass was impossible to ignore - which surprised me*, as I was expecting any differences to be in the subtle stuff, like depth and soundstage. And swapping cables between inputs merely moved the difference, so it wasn't down to the inputs being different.

But as there are no reproducible charts, yeah, yeah yaddah yaddah - again, not meaning that this is what you will say, Gray!

*Interesting how my sense of self-delusion could surprise me by giving me what I wasn't expecting. My SOSD must be pretty sophisticated...

Reactions: Tinman1952

nads

View attachment 3249
yet you can hear the benefits of a Sub.

D

Deleted member 160668

It's rather odd that @MUSICRAFT is using such decent equipment with cables I would throw away.

I'm not advocating to spend big bucks, as said above you can buy cheap and well made cables for not a lot of cash. But for such good kit, that is imo a travesty. Can you honestly not hear the difference? Really?

I have played around quite a bit with cables and have settled on ones I am happy with in my system.

As for having hi-end kit and freebie interconnects, I personally think that's bonkers.

PP - don't go wild, but there are plenty of decent cables for not a huge outlay. Ones I personally like that don't cost the earth would be Chord Cobra or Linn Black which can be picked up on eBay for £20-30 a set.

Last edited by a moderator:

shadders

I'm not advocating to spend big bucks, as said above you can buy cheap and well made cables for not a lot of cash. But for such good kit, that is imo a travesty. Can you honestly not hear the difference? Really?
Hi,
A conductor is a conductor. It does not matter how it looks, it will still conduct electricity. Whether the equipment is good or not, the cable has no effect on the signal, unless it has some purposefully designed implementation to mess up the signal.

Then, why should a difference be heard, if it does exactly the same as expensive cables ?

I use cheap cables that look good, quite simply because they look good. If they look bad then it is psychological that they sound different.

Regards,
Shadders.

shadders

Unless a difference is heard - in which case we're back to either delusional or 'badly-designed.' And thus the cycle of a cable thread turns once more...
Hi,
No, differences in conductivity adds resistance only, and there is no non-linearity in their voltage versus current transfer characteristics. Essentially, what comes out is what went in, with a slightly lower voltage (linearly related to the signal).

Regards,
Shadders.

So that implies that you think the 'badly-designed' argument is a non-starter?

And your thoughts about post #32? There was no difference in volume, which suggests to me that voltage wasn't impaired to an audible degree, but bass was absent to a degree that surprised me, especially as I wasn't expecting it and certainly wasn't looking for it.

I'm especially interested in how such a delusion might have manifested itself when I was expecting differences elsewhere if they occurred at all. Mrs 12th could make it out easily, too.

It's rather odd that @MUSICRAFT is using such decent equipment with cables I would throw away.

I have played around quite a bit with cables and have settled on ones I am happy with in my system.

As for having hi-end kit and freebie interconnects, I personally think that's bonkers.

PP - don't go wild, but there are plenty of decent cables for not a huge outlay. Ones I personally like that don't cost the earth would be Chord Cobra or Linn Black which can be picked up on eBay for £20-30 a set.
I won't go wild. No point as it's only going between the Sky box and the amp. Probably pop into Richer Sounds & pick up a set of Cambridge I/C. That's what needs to be replaced.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts