Interconnect recommendations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Tinman1952

Hi,
No, differences in conductivity adds resistance only, and there is no non-linearity in their voltage versus current transfer characteristics. Essentially, what comes out is what went in, with a slightly lower voltage (linearly related to the signal).

Regards,
Shadders.
You simply do not want to believe that a cable can affect the frequency response for some as yet unknown reason.....seems at odds with many enthusiasts' (and reviewers) opinion....

Gray

I know personal reports get dissed here (not saying by you, btw), but my old Arcam setup allowed two outputs from the same CDP, so I could easily flip back and forth between freebies and my current interconnects. The difference in bass was impossible to ignore - which surprised me*, as I was expecting any differences to be in the subtle stuff, like depth and soundstage. And swapping cables between inputs merely moved the difference, so it wasn't down to the inputs being different.

But as there are no reproducible charts, yeah, yeah yaddah yaddah - again, not meaning that this is what you will say, Gray!

*Interesting how my sense of self-delusion could surprise me by giving me what I wasn't expecting. My SOSD must be pretty sophisticated...
The bottom line on cables must surely be this:
If you (or anyone else) can tell, without knowing, which cable you're listening to, then great....no more to be said.
If not....

Reactions: WayneKerr
If the plugs unscrew (and I assume they do), then they certainly don't need to be replaced.
If, as you say, there's intermittency, it's likely that one of the central conductors is detached from the pin - resoldering is all that's necessary....
Don't think they do. Think I've had them since the 90s and most of the printing has been rubbed away. They do look, from what I can see, like Cambridge set. Can't remember the model.

For about £20 I could get another Cambridge set or QED Profile 2 mtrs for £19.95 at Richers. I've never owned any QEDs before so it'll be interesting.

Don't think they do. Think I've had them since the 90s and most of the printing has been rubbed away. They do look, from what I can see, like Cambridge set. Can't remember the model.

For about £20 I could get another Cambridge set or QED Profile 2 mtrs for £19.95 at Richers. I've never owned any QEDs before so it'll be interesting.
Just remembered. Those Cambridge RCAs are Studio Reference.

D

Deleted member 160668

Curiosity question here, but why are you connecting anything to the sky box. I have my smart TV connected by Optical to my DAC, that way if I am using another source (it also has Netflix on the smart TV, rather than via my Virgin box, it also has a Firestick too), then the TV picks up and transmits it straight to the DAC.

Therefore, no RCA needed at all. Although admittedly I could go RCA to 3.5mm jack to Virgin box. Just not sure why I would when it can go straight from the Smart TV to hifi.

Perhaps I'm missing something?!

The bottom line on cables must surely be this:
If you (or anyone else) can tell, without knowing, which cable you're listening to, then great....no more to be said.
If not....
Cuts to the nub of it, doesn't it? And yes, we both could - it really was glaringly obvious. Can't repeat it with present setup as it lacks two interconnects, and I think I'd be on dodgy marital ground if I asked Mrs 12th to start swapping and unswapping cables for me!

Reactions: Gray
Curiosity question here, but why are you connecting anything to the sky box. I have my smart TV connected by Optical to my DAC, that way if I am using another source (it also has Netflix on the smart TV, rather than via my Virgin box, it also has a Firestick too), then the TV picks up and transmits it straight to the DAC.

Therefore, no RCA needed at all. Although admittedly I could go RCA to 3.5mm jack to Virgin box. Just not sure why I would when it can go straight from the Smart TV to hifi.

Perhaps I'm missing something?!
A) I don't have a Dac
B) the TV is around 9 years old. That means there's no facility for any Netflix etc etc.
C) the TV has no analogue outs.

This means I have the Sky box connected via HDMI cable to the TV & the Sky box has analogue which I connect straight to the all-analogue amp.

Last edited:
I agree, absolutely crap i/c's and yes they were the freebies bundled with audio stuff years ago....I throw them out myself. and that poor denafrips deserves better.lol.

The Pontus II DAC/GAIA DDC are in perfectly good hands. Thanks. This basic cable enables their and the qualities of other components costing far more to shine through just nicely by enabling them to breathe (y)

Keep it simple. Simple is best :)

I would suggest that however good those interconnects are at passing a signal they are, with those plugs, absolutely rubbish at avoiding tarnishing and are quite prone to fracturing if frequently removed and replaced to cure said tarnishing.
I should know, was poor enough once to have to actually use them.
still got the unused ones that came with my Sony DVD player and they are basically unusable without a good bath in a decent acid .....

What part of I. AM. NOT. INTERESTED. do you not understand?

So you’ve got a right to respond but by the sound of it I haven’t got a right to respond to your post accordingly. I haven’t said anything untoward.

Btw, I will respectfully say that perhaps in the first instance you should try and grasp what has been said given some of your clangers over the years. The most recent being your poor attempt to go out of your way to disprove that Leema stock we had was not ours and that we have never been their dealer. You still have not had the decency to apologise.

So you’ve got a right to respond but by the sound of it I haven’t got a right to respond to your post accordingly. I haven’t said anything untoward.

Btw, I will respectfully say that perhaps in the first instance you should try and grasp what has been said given some of your clangers over the years. The most recent being your poor attempt to go out of your way to disprove that Leema stock we had was not ours and that we have never been their dealer. You still have not had the decency to apologise.
old grudges don't go away it would appear.
please attempt to be civil at least, it is not going to do your viability as a reputable dealer any good and members of long standing in general should be more considerate.
Continue along these lines and I am sure warnings will be issued by moderators

Reactions: 12th Monkey

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts