Integrated Amplifiers with DRC?

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi I have a simple two speaker setup (trusty B&W 601 S2's) powered by a NAD D3020 V1. Yes a bit old, as is my knowledge of hi-fi in general!

I have it attached to my TV and everything is fine apart from a lack of dynamic range control (or DRC). Sometimes it would be great to be enable DRC when watching a film late at night etc.

So I'm wondering whether there are any decent amps that have DRC or whether this is the same as a 'loudness' switch available on some amps? It's hard to find info on this but maybe it's now a standard thing with all AV receivers?

It still seems to still be the case that a stereo integrated amp will sound better than a receiver and, given my setup, it might not make sense for me to switch to a receiver. Interested to hear any advice on this front though.

Thanks.

abacus

DRC (Dynamic range control) is nothing like a loudness function as it compresses the dynamic range so that you do not need the volume so high to hear the full range. (I understand how it could be confused though)

As to the OPs question, not that I am aware of, but have a look in the TVs menu as there may be a DRC option in there that can be sent to the amp.

Bill

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
@abacus

Thanks - yeah my understanding (which may be flawed) is that loudness is basically a bass and treble EQ boost whereas DRC is more like compression. Loudness may still be the closest thing though for a normal amp from what I can see is available.

My new-ish TV (LG CX) doesn't support any kind of DRC option for external outputs annoyingly. There are some related options for internal speakers but they are quite poor sounding.

I'm quite surprised how hard it is to find stuff on this, I'd think a lot more people would be asking for it and it'd feature in reviews etc. I guess everyone just uses AV receivers and soundbars as opposed to integrated amps.

Any recommendations on compact integrated amps that have a loudness option? Or a compact AV receiver that is decent enough to listen to music to?

@abacus

Thanks - yeah my understanding (which may be flawed) is that loudness is basically a bass and treble EQ boost whereas DRC is more like compression. Loudness may still be the closest thing though for a normal amp from what I can see is available.

My new-ish TV (LG CX) doesn't support any kind of DRC option for external outputs annoyingly. There are some related options for internal speakers but they are quite poor sounding.

I'm quite surprised how hard it is to find stuff on this, I'd think a lot more people would be asking for it and it'd feature in reviews etc. I guess everyone just uses AV receivers and soundbars as opposed to integrated amps.

Any recommendations on compact integrated amps that have a loudness option? Or a compact AV receiver that is decent enough to listen to music to?
Loudness buttons are rare these days especially on a compact amp. What is your budget?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
Loudness buttons are rare these days especially on a compact amp. What is your budget?

If it weren't for a lack of DRC I wouldn't be looking to upgrade but I guess I could look at it as a step toward having a dolby atmos setup one day. I don't want to compromise on the sound quality of what I currently have (see first post) though. So I'd be more keen to ensure equal or improved quality to what I have rather than a figure (if that makes sense!).

If it weren't for a lack of DRC I wouldn't be looking to upgrade but I guess I could look at it as a step toward having a dolby atmos setup one day. I don't want to compromise on the sound quality of what I currently have (see first post) though. So I'd be more keen to ensure equal or improved quality to what I have rather than a figure (if that makes sense!).
If you are looking at Atmos you are going to need an AV receiver so perhaps I need to move this thread to Home Cinema subforum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts