Integrated amp for MA RX6?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
No need to be edgy PP, sorry.
rolleyes.gif

Earendil

May 5, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
Earendil said:
Man you are getting me worked up on the A-S1000, it really looks like it would rock. It is a bit out of my budget though, I suppose I could make the effort if I had to, you guys really think it is worth the price premium over the A-S500? This one seems like a good buy too.

The A-S500 review points towards a bright presentation, so unless you have a well-damped room I would still look at Marantz or Creek as a better match for MAs hard domed tweeter.

I suggest he OP demos for himself - I dont know how you get to the assumption how this amp/speaker will sound!

OP - please go and demo for yourself prefably in your listening room (find a good dealer)

PP your posts sound like the syntax from many what hifi reviews - ie bollox

I know that the best would be for me to demo first, but unluckily the only demoing options I have (that I know of) are a few onkyos (TX-8030, TX-8050) and a couple of 5.1 and 7.1 Yamahas and Marantz I'm not really interested in. So it will most likely be a blind buy and that is why I appreciate all the help I can get.

So far I really liking what I have read on the Yamaha A-S1000, but the more opinions I get, the better!

Earendil said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
Earendil said:
Man you are getting me worked up on the A-S1000, it really looks like it would rock. It is a bit out of my budget though, I suppose I could make the effort if I had to, you guys really think it is worth the price premium over the A-S500? This one seems like a good buy too.

The A-S500 review points towards a bright presentation, so unless you have a well-damped room I would still look at Marantz or Creek as a better match for MAs hard domed tweeter.

I suggest he OP demos for himself - I dont know how you get to the assumption how this amp/speaker will sound!

OP - please go and demo for yourself prefably in your listening room (find a good dealer)

PP your posts sound like the syntax from many what hifi reviews - ie bollox

I know that the best would be for me to demo first, but unluckily the only demoing options I have (that I know of) are a few onkyos (TX-8030, TX-8050) and a couple of 5.1 and 7.1 Yamahas and Marantz I'm not really interested in. So it will most likely be a blind buy and that is why I appreciate all the help I can get.

So far I really liking what I have read on the Yamaha A-S1000, but the more opinions I get, the better!

Make sure the dealer has a 'Returns' policy, just in case you don't like the amp.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Vladimir said:
There really isn't that much sonic difference between well made tube and SS amps.

There is... don't mistake "difference" with better.

Aye, and dont mistake better with ,erm , better. All down to personal taste isnt it.

Sorry Op but im going off on a tangent for a bit :).

PP , when your new best mate of all time was going through his transition period ( remember ,as you obv do , that I'm a valve nut ) , I never once told him its the only way to go. Twas a case of 'try one or two cos valves aint for everyone '.

But valve amps are better, in my unbiased opinion ,lol. :grin:.

Whats this thread about now ? , Ive forgot.

floyd droid said:
plastic penguin said:
Vladimir said:
There really isn't that much sonic difference between well made tube and SS amps.

There is... don't mistake "difference" with better.

Aye, and dont mistake better with ,erm , better. All down to personal taste isnt it.

PP , when your new best mate of all time was going through his transition period ( remember ,as you obv do , that I'm a valve nut ) , I never once told him its the only way to go. Twas a case of 'try one or two cos valves aint for everyone '.

Scarily, I'm totally in agreement. :p

Valves ain't for all isn't just SQ either. In my case (mentioned this so many times), due to a crummy room design I can only accommodate a stacking rack, but the shelves have to be a certain height for Mrs. P to use, therefore a valve amp would be too enclosed and create residual heat. Not good for any amp....

pmconcierge

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Best amp for cm7's. I have been running them as fronts in an av set up with a yamaha av amp and although movies even streamed sound great, music ips decidedly lacklustre. Biggest problems are a lack of finesse with the high frequencies with a little bit more sibliance in vocals than I would like. I am just using appletv for music at the moment but will be considering a dac to hook up my mac in the future. If the amp has a dac, all the better. Budget is a b@£&h! Am interested in your opinion on the lower end amps in marantz etc, but also in a more 'buy it, forget about it for 10 years' purchase so budget is really £250-£1200! At least there should be a few options! Using the amp to power the fronts in an av set up is also an important factor for flexibility purposes. At present the system is in a 15ftx15 room though may move into a 12x12 in the future. Hope this makes it easier not harder for your valued opinion. :cheers:

pmconcierge said:
Best amp for cm7's. I have been running them as fronts in an av set up with a yamaha av amp and although movies even streamed sound great, music ips decidedly lacklustre. Biggest problems are a lack of finesse with the high frequencies with a little bit more sibliance in vocals than I would like. I am just using appletv for music at the moment but will be considering a dac to hook up my mac in the future. If the amp has a dac, all the better. Budget is a b@£&h! Am interested in your opinion on the lower end amps in marantz etc, but also in a more 'buy it, forget about it for 10 years' purchase so budget is really £250-£1200! At least there should be a few options! Using the amp to power the fronts in an av set up is also an important factor for flexibility purposes. At present the system is in a 15ftx15 room though may move into a 12x12 in the future. Hope this makes it easier not harder for your valued opinion. :cheers:

You really need good amplification for the CM7s. Scrimp in this area and you'll never hear what the B&Ws can fully produce.

IMO, the best match for B&W is Rotel, but I would look at RA-06 or the discontinued RA-1520, and not entry-level models. Also worth looking Roksan Kandy K2, Creek Evo 50A or perhaps this amp, which includes a built-in Dac.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
IME the best amp for B&W is a very powerful one, both watts and current drive. Brand and badge unimportant, the speakers will dominate with their sonic signature. I'd avoid small integrateds like Naim, Creek, Rega.

Vladimir said:
IME the best amp for B&W is a very powerful one, both watts and current drive. Brand and badge unimportant, the speakers will dominate with their sonic signature. I'd avoid small integrateds like Naim, Creek, Rega.

Rotel is the natural match as both B&W and Rotel use the same factory and test one with the others products. True they need a gutsy amp, but also need quality over quantity. Creek and Naim both fall into that catagory, as does Roksan and Leema.

Not sure what you mean by brand and badge unimportant, as Leema and Creek are relatively small companies.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I mean I would focus more on performance per price ratio. Rotel RC1070/RB1070 second hand would do the trick nicely I think. I didn't catch what would be the budget limit but even better if its new Rotel RC1580/RB1582.

I think the synergy between B&W and Rotel comes from the lack of presence (-3db) in the upper midrange on B&Ws due to the kevlar and the dry bright caracter of the Rotel in that region coming from the high power, current and damping factor. Incedently (or not) Rotel's "flaws" are what B&W needs to flatten out the FR and sound to their best and under control. It is a marriage of flaws and strengths complementing each other.

B&W and Rotel are a safe bet for people new to the hobby. I personally like Hegel, EC and Roksan better with B&W.

Vladimir said:
I mean I would focus more on performance per price ratio. Rotel RC1070/RB1070 second hand would do the trick nicely I think. I didn't catch what would be the budget limit but even better if its new Rotel RC1580/RB1582.

I think the synergy between B&W and Rotel comes from the lack of presence (-3db) in the upper midrange on B&Ws due to the kevlar and the dry bright caracter of the Rotel in that region coming from the high power, current and damping factor. Incedently (or not) Rotel's "flaws" are what B&W needs to flatten out the FR and sound to their best and under control. It is a marriage of flaws and strengths complementing each other.

B&W and Rotel are a safe bet for people new to the hobby. I personally like Hegel, EC and Roksan better with B&W.

Most advice we all give could be deemed as "safe" or models/makes that synergise well together. I've lots of experience of Roksan amps but not speakers or TTs. The Pulse is the only amp I've heard from the company, no idea how the Stream CDP or speakers sound so on and so forth.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts