Install of AT VM95-ML cartridge on 1200SL help!

Rotellier21

Jan 26, 2021
www.valenciancellars.com
After a long wait for the Audio Technica VM95ML Cartridge I finally am in process of installing it on the untested (sonically) Technics SL1200 mk2 which I recently bought. Ok..I have the cartridge 2 screws mounted & the wires attached. I have positioned the screws mid way in the Technics headshell. First the VT weight for balancing the arm...when I remove the plastic cover protector on needle even at full adjustment the arm is rising and not leveling . First thought is that the cartridge needs to move forward slightly to give more weight for balance . What am I doing wrong here to get it balancing even with the weight fully inwards . Hope you know what I mean here but something seems not correct with my procedure . Yes it´s basic but I don´t get it :
Just thinking but there are 2 sets of fixing screws ...one longer ...it would add extra weight ..just a hunch

Thks for any advice .

Last edited:

Rotellier21

Jan 26, 2021
www.valenciancellars.com
I notice that the old Stanton cartridge has a weight that I removed held between the cartridge and the headshell...I guess this must be actually part of the headshell weighting element and I have not re-installed this small plate ?

TrevC

Balance the arm by rotating the weight at the back of the arm, then keep the weight still and move the calibration sleeve to zero. Once you have done that adjust the whole assembly to 2.

I notice that the old Stanton cartridge has a weight that I removed held between the cartridge and the headshell...I guess this must be actually part of the headshell weighting element and I have not re-installed this small plate ?
I’m not familiar enough with the turntable to say, though it won’t hurt to reinstall it. Are there two counterweights, perhaps, and you’re using the heavier one? I’ve used most Japanese turntables from the 1970s onwards and they’re all pretty similar in terms of balancing.

TrevC has just restated how to balance the arm. Have you definitely screwed/rotated the actual weight as far forward towards to pivot as it will come?

Reactions: Rotellier21

Rotellier21

Jan 26, 2021
www.valenciancellars.com
I reinstalled the small plate weight and all sorted now with arm balancing ...is it critical to have the electronic scale for exact VT Force .. I have yet to buy one but set it at 1.9 (AT say 1.8-2.2 with average 2. ? I downloaded the Stevenson A protractor template and have that in place to now adjust the position of cartridge on the headshell ..all looks ok ...perfection I reckon is impossible by eye with the lines on template but it will be close !

Reactions: nopiano
I reinstalled the small plate weight and all sorted now with arm balancing ...is it critical to have the electronic scale for exact VT Force .. I have yet to buy one but set it at 1.9 (AT say 1.8-2.2 with average 2. ? I downloaded the Stevenson A protractor template and have that in place to now adjust the position of cartridge on the headshell ..all looks ok ...perfection I reckon is impossible by eye with the lines on template but it will be close !
You are better off buying a cheap tracking force gauge even if it's not digital as the settings on those tonearms are generally inaccurate.
this will help....

Reactions: Rotellier21

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts