Innuos Zen Mini basics

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Innuos Mini arrived today, but not sure I'm going to be even able to set it up!

Firstly, does the mini have to stay hard wired to the router and is the only way to connect to DAC via USB, not Coax?

My router is in the lounge, nowhere near my listening room and don't have a male to female USB lead.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
a USB type A plug to type B plug for the DAC, and I would suggest a pair of Powerlines for the network connection if there's no way you can get a cable to your router.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
long-term you might want to consider a USB to Spdif Convertor if it better suits your dac. There are some good ones out there.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
Sadly doesn't look like I'll be buying the Innuos.

Fitted a couple of power leads (homeplugs), but laptop isn't finding the unit when I go into My Innuos, but when I look on my computer, under devices, it is listed amongst the hardware.

Bit fed up now.

Mac

The remarkable Mrs Mac to the rescue!

she noticed a reset button on the side of each plug and bingo! Innuos has been found.

Mac

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Macspur said:

Fitted a couple of power leads (homeplugs), but laptop isn't finding the unit when I go into My Innuos, but when I look on my computer, under devices, it is listed amongst the hardware.

Bit fed up now.

Mac

she noticed a reset button on the side of each plug and bingo! Innuos has been found.

Mac

thumbs_up.png

Good news. I've got my NAS connected up via homeplugs and it works a treat, never let me down once.

ps: if your wife is like mine she'll never let you forget she bailed you out *biggrin*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Macspur said:
Macspur said:

Fitted a couple of power leads (homeplugs), but laptop isn't finding the unit when I go into My Innuos, but when I look on my computer, under devices,  it is listed amongst the hardware.

Bit fed up now.

Mac

Mac

:)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thankfully the Innuos Mini is pretty well accessible for me, which was my main concern and now I've got it hooked up to the DAC it sounds very good,

Ripping is so simple, just slip in the CD into the slot and you can watch while it gathers the info and displays on My Innuos dashboard

I've got it linked to Sonos and this too is easy to access.

I will have a chat with the dealer on Monday to get his opinion on benefits of going up the chain, particularly in terms of SQ.

If anyone has heard the more expensive models, please share your thoughts.

Mac

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Macspur said:
Thankfully the Innuos Mini is pretty well accessible for me, which was my main concern and now I've got it hooked up to the DAC it sounds very good,

Ripping is so simple, just slip in the CD into the slot and you can watch while it gathers the info and displays on My Innuos dashboard 

I will have a chat with the dealer on Monday to get his opinion on benefits of going up the chain, particularly in terms of SQ.

Mac

How would you rate the sound quality vis a vis your cd player, going into the same audiolab dac. Do you think it sounds better.

I think innuos website advertises their higher models as having better sonic benefits. And your dealer is likely to repeat the same. Will you be able to have a in room demo with all the models you are looking at . There is a considerable difference in pricing between the zen mini, the zen and the zenith.

insider9

Would love to get on one and take it apart to see what's inside. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Will have to look on the web if there's any pictures.

I can see the appeal but ultimately building PCs is way too much fun.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Macspur said:

Mac

How would you rate the sound quality vis a vis your cd player, going into the same audiolab dac. Do you think it sounds better.

I think innuos website advertises their higher models as having better sonic benefits. And your dealer is likely to repeat the same. Will you be able to have a in room demo with all the models you are looking at . There is a considerable difference in pricing between the zen mini, the zen and the zenith.

Hi Newlash,

I haven't listened extensively yet to be honest, too busy getting to know my way around the dashboard and controller, but will get into it tomorrow.

Yes, I suspect the dealer will go along with that line, but it would have to be a night and day difference to part with that sort of cash for a Zenith and the EMC1UP is such a good CDP, I'd be amazed if that was the case.

Mac

www.realmusicne.wordpress.com

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Once you have all sorted and settled. Can you please activate the roon trail version on your zen mini. Then enable up conversion of PCM to DSD64 in roon. And then play the same cd rip into the USB in of your dac in DSD format. Most users claim this makes a large sonic difference even with the same dac. As dsd to analogue conversion is supposed to be superior to PCM to analogue conversion.

Sorry if iam coming across as a PITA. But wanted to point out the potential for improvements that come with the innuos zen.

insider9

This is where I expect Zen Mini to struggle. It's one thing to play DSD or even down sample DSD to PCM but upsampling will require quite a bit of processing power.

Also having used upsampling in Roon however not to DSD I can tell you differences can be audible but I don't believe it's necessarily better. It's very system dependent.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Thanks for the reply. Once you have all sorted and settled. Can you please activate the roon trail version on your zen mini. Then enable up conversion of PCM to DSD64 in roon. And then play the same cd rip into the USB in of your dac in DSD format. Most users claim this makes a large sonic difference even with the same dac. As dsd to analogue conversion is supposed to be superior to PCM to analogue conversion.

Sorry if iam coming across as a PITA. But wanted to point out the potential for improvements that come with the innuos zen.

No, that's fine... I'll do my best, but not sure what to do, will have to have a read.

Mac

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
This is where I expect Zen Mini to struggle. It's one thing to play DSD or even down sample DSD to PCM but upsampling will require quite a bit of processing power.

Also having used upsampling in Roon however not to DSD I can tell you differences can be audible but I don't believe it's necessarily better. It's very system dependent.

Even I have my doubts if the 2gb ram will be sufficient to upsample to DSD. Though the CEO of innuos has personally gone on record that the zen mini did upsampling without stutter in their testing. And if it can really do it, it will be all I could ever want. And wouldn't look up the pricier models at all :)

insider9

newlash09 said:
insider9 said:

Even I have my doubts if the 2gb ram will be sufficient to upsample to DSD. Though the CEO of innuos has personally gone on record that the zen mini did upsampling without stutter in their testing. And if it can really do it, it will be all I could ever want. And wouldn't look up the pricier models at all :)
Maybe he meant PCM 44.1kHz to 192kHz? That I'm sure Zen Mini wouldn't have a problem doing. DSD however is a complete different matter.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
newlash09 said:
insider9 said:

Maybe he meant PCM 44.1kHz to 192kHz? That I'm sure Zen Mini wouldn't have a problem doing. DSD however is a complete different matter.

Expecting a music server, cum streamer with roon core and full dsd upsampling + roon convulated room filters for 800 pounds shows my greedy side :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts