High res, Apple Mac Mini, Bluesound Powernode

Captain Haddock

Mar 4, 2022
Visit site
How can I connect a Mac Mini to the Powernode enabling it to stream high res from Apple Music?
In my old system the Mac Mini was connected by a USB cable to a Musical Fidelity V-link 192. This was connected to my amp by coax.
The Powernode doesn't have a coax input, therefore rendering the Musical Fidelity V-link 192 obsolete as it only has coax output.
I am looking for a good alternative. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• A099D7B0-8FE6-4EC6-B75C-9FCB21CF70E9.png
    A099D7B0-8FE6-4EC6-B75C-9FCB21CF70E9.png
    634 KB · Views: 11

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
You don't say which Powernode or Mac mini (looks like the older Intel variety on your picture?).

Assuming you Mac can run the latest macOS, why not connect via USB cable? Your NAD also appears to have a USB input, so you could go directly into that too without the V-Link. Would depend on which DAC sound you liked best.

Edit: sorry mistaken assumption that the Powernode's USB port could be used as a digital input.

I think you might need another DAC with a USB input.

Last edited:

Captain Haddock

Mar 4, 2022
Visit site
Correct.
I will use the USB input on the Powernode to hook up a hard disk with my music files. 😀

It has a Toslink (Optical) input though. The Mac Mini has a Toslink output. Could this work? Or do I need an extra dac with Toslink out?

Last edited:

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
Correct.
I will use the USB input on the Powernode to hook up a hard disk with my music files. 😀

It has a Toslink input though.
Were you able to stream Hi-Res Lossless to the NAD via that V-Link?

I know that there are USB to TOSLINK converters, but I've no idea how macOS would interact with those. I've only ever tried connecting a DAC with a USB converter directly to the USB port on a Mac.

In case you weren't aware, macOS doesn't yet automatically adjust the resolution on the USB output as the tracks change in Apple Music. It defaults to 44.1kHz. You can adjust it manually in the Audio Midi Setup preference pane, but you have to do it for each track if anything changes—far from ideal.

An iOS device is the most satisfactory way of streaming Hi-Res Lossless into a DAC right now, it does adjust the output resolution for each track automatically up to maximum resolution of 24-bit/192 kHz.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts