Inexpensive but large TV (audio and Smart features not required) - 65-75"+

danobo

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi

I’m looking for a recommendations for a (new or s/h) TV.

No smart TV functions needs – source will be HDMI out of a computer.

Audio will be via a separate system (5.1 or 7.1 PMC system), so no need for any in built quality.

Room (6.1m wide x 4.8m (max) into alcoves) has a lot of day light (there are lots more windows not captured in the photo below).

Min viewing distance probably 3.5m-4m straight on. Given the seating arrangements, a reasonably wide viewing angle might be useful.

I’m considering mounting the TV centrally on the chimney breast (183cm wide), above fireplace (if that’s ok!) – though that increases the viewing distance and angle for some viewers. Else it’ll be in the alcove (217cm) where the TV you see in the picture is (which is about 127cm wide, so probably a 55” or 60”). Though the right speaker will also be around there… (possibly even on the shelf on a MoPad).

We currently have a projector (needs a new colour wheel) and screen as well. Could ditch that and spend a bit more on the TV, but absolute max is £2k and I’d prefer to spend half – or ideally much less – of that. E.g. buying second hand).

Given the above, I don’t think it needs to be a new model or top of the line – happy to go second hand. I’m guessing an inexpensive 4k 65"-75” is probably going to be where I end up, unless I’m prepared to spend significantly more (I guess ditching the projector would free up another £500-7500, and save some hassle with wiring and pull down screens).

37898_DUL200299_IMG_02_0000.jpg

Ideas most welcome - many thanks in advance!

Placing the TV above the fireplace is an issue. The guarantee won't cover any damage. Heat from the fireplace can damage your TV. I once had a TV above the fireplace but the fireplace was non functional.

Latest house pics (9).jpg

The room is very bright, so a projector won't be ideal for viewing all the time, unless you can put some blackout curtains. Projector screens like Draper ReAct are suitable for ambient lighting and you can watch with lights as well, but the picture won't be perfect. I've got the screen in my current house.
DSC_0117.jpg
DSC_0116.jpg

Alcove might be an option. You can also look at cantilever mounts so you could pull the TV to your desired viewing position and put that back when not in use. But the biggest TV you can afford. 85-86 inch TVs are available in Richer Sounds for less than £1700 (LG and Samsung). I have a Sony 75KD9005H which I bought last year for less than £1500 (can't remember the exact price) and it's brilliant.

Reactions: danobo

danobo

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Many thanks!

So it looks like:

- The TV will probably need to go where the current one (not mine) is, rather than on the chinmney breast. Even if it was safe from a heat perspective, it'd be too high for comfortable viewing.

- There's space for an 85" one there (gap is 2.17 m)

- HDR 4k is the way forward

- 75" HDR 4k can be had from about £850 (e.g. LG 75UP77006LB, Hisense 75A6GTUK, Samsung UE75AU7100 , LG 70UP81006LA), 85" from £1.3k (e.g. Samsung QE85Q60T).

So quite tempted to buy an 85", possibly even on a catelevered bracket. Might ditch the projector, since not sure it's worth, for the extra size, the extra hassle (installing it on a shelf/from ceiling, hiding the wiring, etc plus selling it would free up some ££) for the extra inches) and visual intrustion of the kit. I guess the obvious place for a the screen would be a pull down over the chimney breast, though to get it low enough, it'd have to be a huge screen.

Any recommendations for 75" - 85" screen welcome. At £1.3k, the Samsung QE85Q60T seems like a good deal and would do all I need. I suspect most TVs have it now, but the idea of turning it into a giant photo display unit is also appealing (which is why I was keen to put it above the fireplace).

(That Samsung has Ambient Mode - "Turn your TV screen into a decorative feature, displaying artworks or your own photos.* It automatically adjusts to the light in your room, so that you can easily make the big blank screen a thing of the past.")

D

Deleted member 196519

Many thanks!

So it looks like:

- The TV will probably need to go where the current one (not mine) is, rather than on the chinmney breast. Even if it was safe from a heat perspective, it'd be too high for comfortable viewing.

- 75" HDR 4k can be had from about £850 (e.g. LG 75UP77006LB, Hisense 75A6GTUK, Samsung UE75AU7100 , LG 70UP81006LA), 85" from £1.3k (e.g. Samsung QE85Q60T).

So quite tempted to buy an 85", possibly even on a catelevered bracket. Might ditch the projector, since not sure it's worth, for the extra size, the extra hassle (installing it on a shelf/from ceiling, hiding the wiring, etc plus selling it would free up some ££) for the extra inches) and visual intrustion of the kit. I guess the obvious place for a the screen would be a pull down over the chimney breast, though to get it low enough, it'd have to be a huge screen.

Any recommendations for 75" - 85" screen welcome. At £1.3k, the Samsung QE85Q60T seems like a good deal and would do all I need. I suspect most TVs have it now, but the idea of turning it into a giant photo display unit is also appealing (which is why I was keen to put it above the fireplace).

(That Samsung has Ambient Mode - "Turn your TV screen into a decorative feature, displaying artworks or your own photos.* It automatically adjusts to the light in your room, so that you can easily make the big blank screen a thing of the past.")
What about buying the same TV as BigBoss?

Reactions: danobo
D

Deleted member 196519

This TV is awesome:

Slightly over budget you could see if you could get it ex-display or second hand. I believe it’s original RRP was seriously high.

D

Deleted member 196519

Should be lots of deals on TVs with Black Friday coming up.

D

Deleted member 196519

Many thanks!

So it looks like:

I can’t see the Samsung 85Q60T in stock anywhere for £1.3k.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
To me a large screen is 65 inches to others it is 90 inches . But the problem with large screens they made to be put on a wall. To me that is pointless . And often they are put in very bad places , either too hot or too close to a cold wall. me i doubt i get anything over 55 , as i live in a one bedroom flat . Have a 46 and a 50 Panasonic PLASMA. neither of them are on a wall . so keep to a reasonable size do not put it on a wall at all . stick to a price of under £800 reason is simple . Next model will be out in 6 months to replace it This is why i stick to PLASMA there is no new model to replace it. Most decent HDR TVs are good at 4k try not to buy Chinese make . LG appear to be a good name Sony have a lot of extras on them

Last edited:
To me a large screen is 65 inches to others it is 90 inches . But the problem with large screens they made to be put on a wall. To me that is pointless . And often they are put in very bad places , either too hot or too close to a cold wall. me i doubt i get anything over 55 , as i live in a one bedroom flat . Have a 46 and a 50 Panasonic PLASMA. neither of them are on a wall . so keep to a reasonable size do not put it on a wall at all . stick to a price of under £800 reason is simple . Next model will be out in 6 months to replace it This is why i stick to PLASMA there is no new model to replace it. Most decent HDR TVs are good at 4k try not to buy Chinese make . LG appear to be a good name Sony have a lot of extras on them
My 75-inch TV isn't on a wall.
20201125_160802.jpg

danobo

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Thanks all for the advice.

As it's a bright/sunny room, and as the screen is used as a computer monitor (so was worried about burn in - so thought best to avoid OLED), I ended up ordering a Samsung QE65QN95AATXXU 65” QN95A Neo QLED 4K HDR Smart TV (2021). Bought through PRC Direct (on offer at £1799), and got 10% cashback via Complete Savings, so £1620 all in.

Arguably bigger would have been better at . 4m-4.3m viewing distances (85" fills the whole alcove!), but even 75" would've required wall mounting the at least one of speakers, and we have the projector for the cinema experience.

As you can see, still setting it all up properly and a bit of a mess (this setup and the house generally!), but very happy with it so fa . ..

DSC_1189.JPG

Reactions: bigboss

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts