In your view who is the biggest rock band of all time?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

Blacksabbath25 said:
manicm said:
For a band that stopped touring at the height of their career, it has to be the Beatles if you think about it. Not even Led Zep would have been able to pull that off. In fact NOBODY else could have pulled it off.

The Beatles it is then.

And if you think I'm joking, Harry Styles' new single is completely and glaringly derivative of Lennon/Bowie. Zayne Malik is still having the last laugh, as far as I can hear.
status Quo is a band that has been a round longer then the Beatles and did more touring then the Beatles ever did . Ozzy Osborne has been touring for the last 50 years the Beatles lasted 5 minutes .

You're missing my point. The Beatles became more popular in spite of not touring anymore - in the midst of a brief 7 years. Sgt Peppers was made long after they stopped the concerts. Nobody else has, and perhaps could have pulled that off.

Anyway, by your logic, Stones is at the top.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
manicm said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
manicm said:
For a band that stopped touring at the height of their career, it has to be the Beatles if you think about it. Not even Led Zep would have been able to pull that off. In fact NOBODY else could have pulled it off.

The Beatles it is then.

And if you think I'm joking, Harry Styles' new single is completely and glaringly derivative of Lennon/Bowie. Zayne Malik is still having the last laugh, as far as I can hear.
status Quo is a band that has been a round longer then the Beatles and did more touring then the Beatles ever did . Ozzy Osborne has been touring for the last 50 years the Beatles lasted 5 minutes .

You're missing my point. The Beatles became more popular in spite of not touring anymore - in the midst of a brief 7 years. Sgt Peppers was made long after they stopped the concerts. Nobody else has, and perhaps could have pulled that off.

Anyway, by your logic, Stones is at the top.
you could say the same about abba people still love the group and all there albums even though it's been years the group has not done anything . I am not a fan of the Beatles I think they are a bit over rated but understand there albums still sell like hot cakes .

D

Deleted member 108165

Blacksabbath25 said:
DougK said:
Always knew that you guys on here were a buch of head-bangers *bomb* I'm outa here.... *biggrin*
ex head-bangers get it right .... *dash1*

Nope, just head-bangers with zimmerframes *crazy*

manicm

All the old geezers are doing well. Sabbath is coming to an end though? Quo did well too until Parfitt's illness - thought they're now done.

Metallica and Maiden are still killing it big time. But here's the shocker - in earnings I think it's the Stones and Roger Waters?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
manicm said:
All the old geezers are doing well. Sabbath is coming to an end though? Quo did well too until Parfitt's illness - thought they're now done.

Metallica and Maiden are still killing it big time. But here's the shocker - in earnings I think it's the Stones and Roger Waters?
yes I like Roger waters and David Gilmore a specially David Gilmore last album which I love .

sabbath are now retired but they are all past 65 or more but Ozzy is meant to go back to his solo career which I have my doubts about that .

as much as I like Ozzy Osborne he lost his magic in his singing voice as he has got older and not what he was in his prime which is sad but the years of drugs and alcohol have court up with him .

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
manicm said:

The Beatles it is then.

Factually correct I suppose - but Quo as a rock band were poor in comparison to most other decent bands of the time - but they were media savvy. Being in the public eye - touring - tv appearances etc gave them regular (boring) publicity

But for innovative mind blowing music - I don't think so. (all inmho of course)

tonky

Perhaps it's me, but have most of you guys mis-read the title? Most of you have gone for stereotypical shirt open, medallion wearing cruds of yesteryear. They're all very good but Rock doesn't start and end with Led Zep, Metallica blah blah.

Is Gel asking about who's the biggest selling band or personal favourites?

The official biggest rock band in history is The Beatles, although not my all-time favs.

In terms of pure (alternative) rock band is The Tea Party, but they didn't sell too many. That said, I'm not a big Rock fan.

In terms of the biggest rock band (past tense), my favourites are The Who.

D

Deleted member 2457

plastic penguin said:
Perhaps it's me, but have most of you guys mis-read the title? Most of you have gone for stereotypical shirt open, medallion wearing cruds of yesteryear. They're all very good but Rock doesn't start and end with Led Zep, Metallica blah blah.

Is Gel asking about who's the biggest selling band or personal favourites?

The official biggest rock band in history is The Beatles, although not my all-time favs.

In terms of pure (alternative) rock band is The Tea Party, but they didn't sell too many. That said, I'm not a big Rock fan.

In terms of the biggest rock band (past tense), my favourites are The Who.
Biggest selling and in your view the best. Both. Cheers.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I think that many of here are 70, 60 or 80 generation so for those the most important wil be Led , Beatles , Deep P. or Blacksabbath maybe Metallica. I am 90s generation ( born in 78 ) so for me personally would be Grunge rock era as the most important. Of course taste changes as we get older and now I veer toawards Jazz, Soul, electronica and some older bands. For example Nirvana's Nevermind is one of the best sounding records ever made regardless of the fact whether you like it or not. Good sounding to such an extent that even today many other bands are struggling to sound like "Nevermind" but it can be hardly achieved. It is a mix and mastering sound masterpiece. Did Led Zeppelin sound the same ? I don't think so....Blacksabbath ? For their days definitely - still I can appreciate this old sound and mastering sometimes like the great sound from "The Hollies - Bus stop" for example, or Pink Floyd. The best rock n roll band ? One can never tell. There too many talents out there. Please do not say "Rolling Stones" I could never ever understand this hype.

insider9

stereoman said:
I think that many of here are 70, 60 or 80 generation so for those the most important wil be Led , Beatles , Deep P. or Blacksabbath maybe Metallica. I am 90s generation ( born in 78 ) so for me personally would be Grunge rock era as the most important. Of course taste changes as we get older and now I veer toawards Jazz, Soul, electronica and some older bands. For example Nirvana's Nevermind is one of the best sounding records ever made regardless of the fact whether you like it or not. Good sounding to such an extent that even today many other bands are struggling to sound like "Nevermind" but it can be hardly achieved. It is a mix and mastering sound masterpiece. Did Led Zeppelin sound the same ? I don't think so....Blacksabbath ? For their days definitely - still I can appreciate this old sound and mastering sometimes like the great sound from "The Hollies - Bus stop" for example, or Pink Floyd. The best rock n roll band ? One can never tell. There too many talents out there. Please do not say "Rolling Stones" I could never ever understand this hype.

Would you be surprised if I told you that Nevermind won't make my top 3 Nirvana albums? Never mind, make the top 10 grunge albums. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it in my teenage years and that I will occasionally play it out of sentiment for those carefree years.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
stereoman said:

Would you be surprised if I told you that Nevermind won't make my top 3 Nirvana albums? Never mind, make the top 10 grunge albums. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it in my teenage years and that I will occasionally play it out of sentiment for those carefree years.

Surely this is the best Nirvana album, from 1968.

hqdefault.jpg

@gel

Okay, The Beatles have sold the most songs out of the rock bands.

My favourites, nevertheless, are The Who, Kinks, Small Faces, Spencer Davis Group, Cream, Bowie, early Roxy, The Jam... and so the list goes on.

Having said all that nonsense, my real musical passion is Soul, Funk, Disco... both classic and modern.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The Beatles Total available certified units: 270.4 million , Elvis Presley Total available certified units: 211.5 million , Michael Jackson Total available certified units: 183.9 million , Madonna ] Total available certified units: 170.5 million Elton John Total available certified units: 167.6 million , Led Zeppelin Total available certified units: 139.3 million , Pink Floyd Total available certified units: 118.7 million . total album sells upto date for each artist and theses are the biggest sellers in the world so the beatles has sold the most albums ever which is amazing for a group from the 1960s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

@BS:

They are ARTISTs not bands. Going by gels initial thread "who is the biggest rock band".

I know you love your heavy rock... and I like some of it, but don't try and twist the thread.

The title is very vague, hence my initial question a page or two ago.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Jimi Hendrix Experience was an American-English rock band that formed in Westminster, London, in September 1966. Singer, songwriter, and guitarist Jimi Hendrix, bassist and backing vocalist Noel Redding, and drummer Mitch Mitchell comprised the group, which was active until June 1969. During this time, they released three studio albums and became one of the most popular acts in rock. In April 1970, Hendrix, Mitchell, and bassist Billy Cox performed and recorded until Hendrix's death on September 18, 1970. This later trio was sometimes billed as the "Jimi Hendrix Experience", but the title was never formalized.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
@BS:

They are ARTISTs not bands. Going by gels initial thread "who is the biggest rock band".

I know you love your heavy rock... and I like some of it, but don't try and twist the thread.

The title is very vague, hence my initial question a page or two ago.
the Beatles were a group and they were classed as rock and roll and Led Zeppelin are a rock group and Pink Floyd are . I've looked for just rock and metal but it keeps coming up with artists .

but going by the link I had put up from my previous post Led Zeppelin are the biggest selling rock band of all time next is Pink Floyd .

i found this which gun+roses metallica are the biggest selling album wise http://metaldescent.com/the-best-selling-metal-albums-of-all-time/

D

Deleted member 2457

I think I once heard AC/DC were in the top 5 of selling albums of all time?

TRENDING THREADS