In need of new music, help me please...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

Hey Dim_Span, Just ordered Nils Lofgren ... Acoustic Live. Thanks!

Given that I like that, any other similar suggestions?

you may also then enjoy:

Jackson Browne ... Solo Acoustic Volume 1

----------------------------------

something a bit different (Jazzy) ... but very well produced/recorded

Al DiMeola McLaughlin De Lucia ... Friday Night in San Fransico

A

Anonymous

Talk Talk - The colour of Spring

Jethro Tull - This was

Tina Dico - In the red

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
reggaedave:

Acrobats of sa.. ( they dont seem to have albums for sale but i have cd's from gigs, love their music, some clips on youtube, but not much ...one to keep eyes open for )

Good grief, that's a blast from the past - saw them in Preston in the early 90's and they were amazing! Only have their 'Bruno' CD single - is there much else about?

Currently listening to: Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
No collection is complete without the following...

psmith-horses_02.jpg

Horses - Patti Smith Band
The origins of punk. Classic album in every way.

faithl-foreve.jpg

Forever Faithless - Faithless.
Dance/club music. A good introduction and you'll recognise some of the tunes...I did.

faithl-revere.jpg

Reverence - Faithless.
Forever Faithless is a compilation, which some people don't like. Try this as an alternative.

ninein-slip.jpg

The Slip - Nine Inch Nails
You have to hear this band. I guess this is called Industrial. NiN gave this album away as a free lossless download. It made financial sense. I went on to buy every album they have done (more or less).

A

Anonymous

am enjoying this thread .... lots of new music that I have not heard ... will check them out properly on the weekend

A

Anonymous

1. Tool - 10,000 Days
2. Arcade Fire - Funeral or Neon Bible
3. Gilmour - Live in Gdansk
4. Waters - Amused to Death
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
6. Einaudi - Nightbook
7. Jessye Norman and the Gewandhaus Orchestra and Leipzig - Strauss, R: Four Last Songs (Remastered)
8. Rush - Permanent Waves (MoFi Gold Edition)
9. Rammstein - Mutter
10. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine.

In no particular order. There's an eclectic mix for you!
emotion-5.gif

idc

I would recommend some Scandinavian progressive rock; Anekdoten and 'Vemod', Trettioariga Kriget and 'Elden Av Ar' are both heavy prog, then Black Bonzo and 'Sound of The Apocalypse' is a bit more folky and Jaga Jazzist 'What Me Must' or Lars Horntveth and 'Pooka' from more eclectic jazz fusion prog. Last is The Flower Kings and any of their albums for a full on 1970s style prog.

Then film soundtracks are often totally ignored. My favourites include American Beauty and Meet Joe Black by Thomas Newman and The Dark Knight by Hans Zimmer and Jmaes Newton Howard.

Then use this brilliant site http://www.music-map.com/ to find more inspiration.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
three recent spotify finds:

1. Squarepusher - Just a souvenir
2. Delphic - Acolyte
3. These new puritans -

They are all quite electro, must be in that kind of mood at the moment...

All time favorites:

1. Radiohead - the bends
2. Blur - Modern life is rubbish
3. Metallica - black album

although tomorrow two of these would probably be different (the bends will always be there)

Tonestar1

OK

1/ Rdiohead - OK Computer

2/ Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

3/ Arcade Fire - Funeral

All already quoted, but all brilliant.

Also try

Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid

Tom McRae - Tom McRae

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake it's Morning

Wolfmother - Wolfmother

A

Anonymous

I would wholeheartedly recommend Sigh no More by Mumford & Sons. One of the best albums I've bought for years and one I've been playing on a regular basis since it's release. Check out Little Lion Man, this is the song that caught my interest. Other favourites of mine over the years have been The Runaway Found by the Veils, Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada by Godspeed!You Black Emperor, Roseland NYC by Portishead, O by Damien Rice and Here Be Monsters by Ed Harcourt.

A

Anonymous

Current listens...
  • Ambivalence Avenue - Biblio
  • II - Desire
  • Veckatimest - Grizzly Bear
  • Hidden - These New Puritans
  • Gil Scott-Heron - I'm new here
  • XX - The XX
  • It's Blitz - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  • Tarot Sport - *** Buttons
  • The Pain of Being Pure at Heart -ÿThe Pain of Being Pure at Heart
  • Primary Colours - The Horrors
  • Contra - Vampire Weekend
  • Sleeper - The Leisure Society
More than three....but I buy quite a lot of records....

A

Anonymous

Oh, and the best Dutch singer/songwriter at this moment:

Gerard van Maasakkers - Achterland

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
PJPro: The Slip - Nine Inch NailsYou have to hear this band.

Ack! No! HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE!!!!

Broken and Fixed weren't bad but nothing since then has been worth listening too at all, Trent Reznor, most overrated musician ever...

And I still blame him for causing PWEI to split up, even though there's probably no real evidence for it.

A

Anonymous

The best album I have ever heard is by Hybrid called 'Wide Angle'. Also, Above and Beyond's 'Tri-State' is immense.

breeze

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
One from the seventies (just) Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus Spirit

Eighties The Healer John Lee Hooker

Nineties Hiatt comes alive at Budokan John Hiatt and the Guilty Dogs

A

Anonymous

Acrobats of sa.. ( they dont seem to have albums for sale but i have cd's from gigs, love their music, some clips on youtube, but not much ...one to keep eyes open for )

Good grief, that's a blast from the past - saw them in Preston in the early 90's and they were amazing! Only have their 'Bruno' CD single - is there much else about?

Gusboll....

If you email me ill copy you some acrobats stuff onto a cd, i do have a few tunes, the bruno stuff isnt the best of them, im from preston actually. Explain who you are on email so i know its from you and if you give me a postal address for you ill post some recordings to you.

davidcroston@live.co.uk.

dave

A

Anonymous

Cowps:I would wholeheartedly recommend Sigh no More by Mumford & Sons. One of the best albums I've bought for years and one I've been playing on a regular basis since it's release. Check out Little Lion Man, this is the song that caught my interest. Other favourites of mine over the years have been The Runaway Found by the Veils, Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada by Godspeed!You Black Emperor, Roseland NYC by Portishead, O by Damien Rice and Here Be Monsters by Ed Harcourt.

bought the Mumford and sons - Sigh No More today, together with a few other cd's (including Michael Parkinsons -My Life in music ... for £3 and is a double cd) ...
emotion-10.gif
(some good tracks on there and all original recordings)

also ordered a few cd's ...

will have a good proper listen on the weekend on the hifi ...

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
reggaedave:

Gusboll....

If you email me ill copy you some acrobats stuff onto a cd, i do have a few tunes, the bruno stuff isnt the best of them, im from preston actually. Explain who you are on email so i know its from you and if you give me a postal address for you ill post some recordings to you.

davidcroston@live.co.uk.

dave

That's extremely kind of you Dave; e-mail on its way!

Currently listening to: John and Greg saying "that's lovely" or "It's not for me"

A

Anonymous

Just a few to be getting on with...

Beirut - The Flying Club Cup

The Hold Steady - Boys & Girls in America

Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy

Yeasayer - Odd Blood

Bright Eyes - Cassadega

Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days

The National - Alligator

Cherry Ghost - Thirst For Romance

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

Stephen Fretwell - Magpie

The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely

A

Anonymous

Dont worry about it gusboll, made me just put a few acrobats tracks on now anyways, ill get your email and burn you what ive got, 2 mini e.ps and a live recording from chorley in 1993.

dave

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
PJPro: The Slip - Nine Inch NailsYou have to hear this band.

Ack! No! HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE!!!!

Broken and Fixed weren't bad but nothing since then has been worth listening too at all, Trent Reznor, most overrated musician ever...

And I still blame him for causing PWEI to split up, even though there's probably no real evidence for it.

Are you mad?

Oh and...

The Looks or the Lifestyle - Pop Will Eat Itself

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts