In need of new music, help me please...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Simon OW is so-called because every time he hits the return key he gets an electric shock...

Cheeky beggar.

A

Anonymous

Simon OW:

The Hold Steady - Boys & Girls in America

Good call, excellent band. Think I like Separation sunday even better.

A

Anonymous

Jack White:Simon OW:

The Hold Steady - Boys & Girls in America

Good call, excellent band. Think I like Separation sunday even better.

Funny, I think I prefer Almost Killed Me to Separation Sunday and Stay Positive. Boys & Girls is the most accessible, though.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
paloma faith, do you want the truth or something beautiful

erykah badu, live

groove armada, vertigo

and one from left field, goldfrapp, seventh tree

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
dave_k: Ok folks, here's the deal.

I've just got my first hifi set up but I'd really like to get into some new music - most of my current stuff is rock/pop over the last 30 years or so. I'd like to start building up a collection of different genres so my idea is to ask all you good people who have been listening for much longer to recommend your top 2 or 3 albums/compilations/recordings or whatever, any genre, any era, which you think are the very best you have, all time favourites, you get the idea.

And then i'll start buying them and see where i end up.

Thanks in advance, start them recommendations rollin'

I haven't got time to read the whole thread, nor list a bucketload of music, and half of it will probably have been mentioned already. Firstly, I'd buy a Sonos ZP90 and add it to your system. From there, the world is your oyster - I've discovered so much more new music with it I find myself buying more, when the point of the Sonos was to buy less!!

You could head over to www.frankharvey.co.uk where I've made a few recommendations for music that most would probably not have heard of......

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Wow, such a response folks
emotion-1.gif

So much music and so little cash
emotion-6.gif

Got Radiohead - OK Computer today in HMV, together with a Johnny Cash Compilation, the Streets - original pirate material. I also gave into a 70s temptation i've been harbouring for a while and bought a box set of ABBA albums... Which i'm listening to at the minute
emotion-11.gif

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Three suggestions from vastly different genres, from me:

Bob Marley - Legend

Nat "King" Cole - After Midnight

Moby - Last Night

A

Anonymous

dave_k:

I also gave into a 70s temptation i've been harbouring for a while and bought a box set of ABBA albums... Which i'm listening to at the minute
emotion-11.gif

I was tempted to hit 'Report Abuse' at this point. ;)

A

Anonymous

Simon OW:

dave_k:

I also gave into a 70s temptation i've been harbouring for a while and bought a box set of ABBA albums... Which i'm listening to at the minute
emotion-11.gif

I recently bought 'The Best of Boney M'
emotion-10.gif

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
dim_span:Simon OW:

dave_k:

emotion-11.gif

I recently bought 'The Best of Boney M'
emotion-10.gif

You've got to be allowed at least one guilty pleasure, no?

Anyway, new music purchased this week includes:

Radiohead - OK Computer

Eastmountainsouth

Herbie Hancock - maiden voyage

Charles Mingus - The black Saint and the Sinner

Johnny Cash

Elbow - Asleep in the back

Abba

The Streets Original Pirate Material

And my intention is to revisit the list this thread has produced as and when required for new tunes.

Thanks again to all
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

PJPro:No collection is complete without the following...
psmith-horses_02.jpg
Horses - Patti Smith Band The origins of punk. Classic album in every way.
faithl-foreve.jpg
Forever Faithless - Faithless. Dance/club music. A good introduction and you'll recognise some of the tunes...I did.
faithl-revere.jpg
Reverence - Faithless. Forever Faithless is a compilation, which some people don't like. Try this as an alternative.
ninein-slip.jpg
The Slip - Nine Inch Nails You have to hear this band. I guess this is called Industrial. NiN gave this album away as a free lossless download. It made financial sense. I went on to buy every album they have done (more or less).

PJ ...............I couldn't agree with you more about NIN. I have the good fortune to work in the music industry and have been lucky enough to have seen a lot of bands from up close and personal. The band that stands out head and shoulders above every band I have ever seen is the NIN. It was scarey , thrilling, dark .......exceptional.....brutal .....I still remember them playing like it was yesterday! Their Live Blue ray is fantastic

Any way ......

Come Down : Dandy Warhols

The very best of Talk Talk

Blood Suger Sex Magic : RHCP

10,000 HRTZ : Air

Live from nowhere in particular : Joe Bonnamassa

Leftism: Leftfield

everything by Orbital

Bob Harris presents Americana

Sheer Heart Attack : Queen

everything by Goldfrapp

Depech Mode : Violator

A

Anonymous

lordgrace:The best album I have ever heard is by Hybrid called 'Wide Angle'. Also, Above and Beyond's 'Tri-State' is immense.

Yup Hybrid are fantastic........try their Remix and additional production album.

A

Anonymous

ID.:Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works 85-92

yes yes fantastic......................and then try

Brian Eno : Apollo ( Atmospheres and soundtracks)

A

Anonymous

idc:Brian Eno and 'Nerve Net', which may appeal to fans of NIN.

yes yes and the Track " Fractal Zoom" off Nerve Net............Crazy Analogue Synth action

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Laura Nyro - Gonna Take a Miracle/New York Tendaberry

A couple from Brasil:

Joao Gilberto - Joao Gilberto/Amoroso

Marcos Valle - Previsao do Tempo

Soundtracks: My greatest discovery in the last few years has been has been the music of Ennio Morricone that you don't hear very often ie. from 1965 - 1980. It is a total treasure trove & has led me into Italian pop & less well known composers like Bruno Nicolai & Piero Piccioni and also into Italian pop. The greatest compliation is this:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5569-mondo-morricone-the-trilogy/

but, it's hard to get hold of. However, using that track listing, search the web & it's all available here and there. Treat with caution it's totally addictive.

Oh also all of Randy Newman's first 6 albums and Miles Davis' Ascenseur pour l'echafaud.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
brittondave:

ID.:Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works 85-92

yes yes fantastic......................and then try

Brian Eno : Apollo ( Atmospheres and soundtracks)

emotion-21.gif

Defnitely number 2 on my list

A

Anonymous

Koolkeith

In the Italian vein, try listening to a couple of my fave artists - plugging into Italian music via an Italian other half is always a good idea!

Pino Daniele - earlier stuff is more bluesy, but more commercial from mid 90s onwards. He is also prolific - an album a year.

Giorgia - She has a fantastic voice and is much underrated.

Neri per Caso

Tiromancino

Fiordaliso

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations Phillip. I find the "Nostalgia Italiana" series good for 60's stuff and like what I have heard of Lucio Battisti. Nino Rota's Amarcord & Casanova s/tracks are other wonderful recent discoveries.

A

Anonymous

If you have access, to get a good flavour, listen to them on Spotify. Not sure where you can buy Italian music in the UK. Do all of Italian music buying when in Italy - several times a year for business/pleasure.

A

Anonymous

reggaedave:
Acrobats of sa.. ( they dont seem to have albums for sale but i have cd's from gigs, love their music, some clips on youtube, but not much ...one to keep eyes open for )

Good grief, that's a blast from the past - saw them in Preston in the early 90's and they were amazing! Only have their 'Bruno' CD single - is there much else about?

Currently listening to: Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise

Gusboll....

If you email me ill copy you some acrobats stuff onto a cd, i do have a few tunes, the bruno stuff isnt the best of them, im from preston actually. Explain who you are on email so i know its from you and if you give me a postal address for you ill post some recordings to you.

davidcroston@live.co.uk.

dave

To GUSBOLL mate im really sorry ive just found your acrobats cd, my partner obviousally forgot to post it!!!, so sorry mate, if you can confirm you still live at the same address still as your email ill post it tommorow

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Dave,

3 gems you may have missed!

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker (he never bettered this)

Johnny Cash - American Series (better / different than the old stuff - start with the first 4 + Unearthed box set - 5 & 6 are for enthusiasts only)

Florence & The Machine - Lungs (best new voice Ive heard in years)

all the best, Bill

TRENDING THREADS