impromptu audition

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
popped into Richer Sounds and Superfi yesterday for a nosey. Got chatting to the manager in Superfi as they were empty, and let him know my plans to possibly upgrade my amplifer and speakers at some point, but that overall im generally happy with my set up at present (just a few bug bears). He offered to let me have a listen to his set up in the demo room (KEF R500, Arcam A38 and didnt catch the CD player). I am not considering that amp or CD player, its just what they had set up. Would have loved to hear them with a Marantz PM8005, CD6005 and M-DAC as thats one of my possible avenues. Maybe next time when im actually seriously looking.

Firstly the KEF's are a thing of beauty, were in gloss white, really looked like modern art. Lovely things.

Only listened to 3 tracks (didnt want to waste his time as im not earnestly looking at present due to lack of funds), one dance track, one rock and one indie. As for sound, really impressive soundstage, bass was really full on and punchy just the way i like it, was a bit of a rushed audition so didnt really play the tracks i would have liked to test the midrange and treble so hard to say on those. Overall, yeah liked the set up.....but TBH i dont think it was £3000 better than my system at the moment. I think ive changed my mind regarding potentially upgrading, and i "may" just keep what i have for now.....if my speakers ever blow, then the KEF's are potential replacements, defo!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
popped into Richer Sounds and Superfi yesterday for a nosey. Got chatting to the manager in Superfi as they were empty, and let him know my plans to possibly upgrade my amplifer and speakers at some point, but that overall im generally happy with my set up at present (just a few bug bears). He offered to let me have a listen to his set up in the demo room (KEF R500, Arcam A38 and didnt catch the CD player). I am not considering that amp or CD player, its just what they had set up. Would have loved to hear them with a Marantz PM8005, CD6005 and M-DAC as thats one of my possible avenues. Maybe next time when im actually seriously looking.

Firstly the KEF's are a thing of beauty, were in gloss white, really looked like modern art. Lovely things.

Only listened to 3 tracks (didnt want to waste his time as im not earnestly looking at present due to lack of funds), one dance track, one rock and one indie. As for sound, really impressive soundstage, bass was really full on and punchy just the way i like it, was a bit of a rushed audition so didnt really play the tracks i would have liked to test the midrange and treble so hard to say on those. Overall, yeah liked the set up.....but TBH i dont think it was £3000 better than my system at the moment. I think ive changed my mind regarding potentially upgrading, and i "may" just keep what i have for now.....if my speakers ever blow, then the KEF's are potential replacements, defo!

Not wanting to be unkind I would have thought the system you've listened to at the dealer is probably a fair bit better than what you have currently.

Listening to it in unfamiliar surroundings with equally unfamiliar music will not tell you to much plus the expectation bias in view of the total system price will have further undermined your opinion ... probably. :)

I am like you though (and am sure many are) in that I have heard many systems fleetingly, usually in shows or the odd dealer premises, where I did think 'what the hxxx is all that about ...'.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
for sure its a much better system, on paper by miles, i just couldnt feel it in that audition. Its difficult as it was very much a rush job, i had the guy sat on my shoulder so couldnt relax, plus it wasnt my music...i just didnt feel it was worth £3k extra from what i heard. Maybe my ears arent sensitive enough, maybe it was just the rush audition didnt do it justice. I think ill go back and listen to it properly when i have the cash available, but im certainly not going to part with £3k unless i really feel it makes a vast improvment.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sometimes a quick demo doesn't really show you what a system is capable of - you're not familiar with the room or the products. It can take a good few tracks to settle into a system, particularly if you're not familiar with the products being used, and also when changing from auditioning one system to another. A longer listening session will be more informative.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
its also worth noting he said the amp wasnt warmed up (without wishing to open a can of worms on that debate).

I think maybe my interpretations are coming off a bit sour, and thats not where im coming from. More that im pretty happy where im at with my system, my main gripe is a slightly recessed midrange, so i thought i might see a vast improvement in that area, but didnt feel i got that with this set up (albeit in a brief demo - with unfamiliar music). I think the Arcam maybe adding warmth that im not after? Dunno, like i say, when i go back im going to ask for a Demo with the Marantz PM8005, CD6005, Audilab M-DAC (or Pinoeer U-05) and my own music that highlights the flaws im trying to cure and see what the speakers do for me.........but like i say, its always possible my hearing just isnt that cued up for £3k+ systems........... in which case i get to splash the cash on a record deck (which im sorely missing) and some more music :-D

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Those R700's are big 'ol units lol, i think they are probably a bit too much for my room, although its not small (5.5m * 4.7m), i think the R500's are a respectable match.....also for my wallet lolz ;o). I did spot the B&W CM9's in the shop too though, and they did look very nice. Might add them to my audition list and see whats what.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
When my amp was playing up I tested rotel ra -10 yamaha as301 and roksan kandy k2 bt all through b&w cm5's. I liked the kandy and the speakers but not sure if the difference warrants the money but it's like the joy of a new car it might not be just the sound but shiny new toys

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
grimharry said:
When my amp was playing up I tested rotel ra -10 yamaha as301 and roksan kandy k2 bt all through b&w cm5's. I liked the kandy and the speakers but not sure if the difference warrants the money but it's like the joy of a new car it might not be just the sound but shiny new toys

Very true indeed. I have to say the KEF's really are a thing of beauty! The more ive thought about it, the bass and soundstage were pretty phenomonal......if i check them out with my own music and find the midrange is lifted, they may be on the menu again.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have found that in order to fully assess potential improvements, you need to live with the better system for a few days, listening to music you know really well. Often, it's when you swap back again, that any improvements become most apparent.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I would say that the mid range detail is a strong point of the r series. Btw in all my demo sessions they sounded far better in my house. Ih and your room size would suit the 700s. Mine is about that size also maybe slightly smaller.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
i also think there is a law of diminishing returns involved. Back in the day when i upgraded form my £350 system to a £1000 system the difference was jaw dropping, it was immediatley obvious to me the money was worth spending, the gulf between the two systems was so large.....but upgrading from my old £1000 system to a £3000 system doesnt seem to have such a huge delta to it for my ears. Maybe im at the point on the curve where the expense doesnt justify the benefits for me, Im unsure. I fully intend to go back with my own music and give the KEF's (and different amps) a good go at it, but making the choice isnt as clear cut to me as i thought it would be.

When i get around to giving everything a proper audition, ill post back and let everyone know what i think, but it wont be for a few months yet.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Diminishing returns certainly applies. I have a personal rule of thumb that says you have to double what you spend on a component to get a worthwhile improvement. The value you put on that improvement is personal.

IME. The role of the Source becomes ever more important as the rest of the system improves and becomes more resolving.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts