Importance of quality of HDMI leads

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade to a Denon 2310 from a Denon 1907. My question is this; Because the new amp will have HDMI inputs and an upscaling ability, does it matter about the quality of the HDMI leads from Blu-Ray, Sky Box etc? Surely because of the upscaling feature in the amp anyway, wouldn't the output lead be the most important one? Also will the sound be affected because of the quality of the lead?

Am I right or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks guys

A

Anonymous

I'm a non believer in this I'm afraid. People package up cheap HDMI leads and exploit people by selling them as 'high' quality cables. Unless you are going to spend a fortune, and I dont mean in PC World / Currys / Comet etc, then I dont think there is much benefit.

Commence the flaming
emotion-5.gif

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
You should do a search on the forums for this subject, there has been numerous posts on the importance or not of the quality of HDMI leads.

Be aware you may be opening a can of worms.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
best of both worlds rs are doing the purple qed for £25 ,this was a 5star lead at £50 i no it may not be classed as real high end but on a decent set up you would want to spend more than say £15 for build qualaty and hopfully £25 wont brake the bank

A

Anonymous

£4.79 @ http://www.thatcable.com/acatalog/HDMI_cables.html

I can't see/hear any difference between this and a £50 purple QED I have in my system. I may however be deaf or blind so spend more if you feel you'll get the value!

A

Anonymous

Rob_manchester:

I can't see/hear any difference between this and a £50 purple QED I have in my system. I may however be deaf or blind so spend more if you feel you'll get the value!

The only thing that I will say is that I have noticed a difference in quality with the QED Performance cable compared to your average budget cable, so I think there is a curve

A

Anonymous

devo18uk:Rob_manchester:

The only thing that I will say is that I have noticed a difference in quality with the QED Performance cable compared to your average budget cable, so I think there is a curve

That's the same one as I have so your ears/eyes/system must be better than mine I guess. If such cables can cause a difference (and that debate obviously goes on forever in panto fashion) then maybe the difference just isn't noticeable for me with HT.

I use my separate hifi for music and do care about the impact of speaker cables there (and to a lesser degree interconnects - coming from someone who once stupidly bought a £130 <gulp> IC...).

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Rob_manchester:
That's the same one as I have so your ears/eyes/system must be better than mine I guess. If such cables can cause a difference (and that debate obviously goes on forever in panto fashion) then maybe the difference just isn't noticeable for me with HT.

I use my separate hifi for music and do care about the impact of speaker cables there (and to a lesser degree interconnects - coming from someone who once stupidly bought a £130 <gulp> IC...).

Cheers.

Then again it might just be my eyes playing tricks on me because I want to believe the QED lead is better seeing as though I shelled out a few extra notes for it. Who knows.

Interesting the WHF team have stayed quiet on this one. :p

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
devo18uk:Interesting the WHF team have stayed quiet on this one. :p

Damned if you do, damned if you don't - but if you read our reviews you'll get an idea where we stand on the subject...

A

Anonymous

Rob_manchester:

I had one of these..err..thatcables...picture quality improved but then the connector snapped under it's own weight on the TV end with a lovely sparking effect that, for a while, I thought had knocked out the board with 2 HDMI connections altogether.

So whilst the performance was good, the build quality was poor.

A

Anonymous

Don't blame you all for being tired of the cable debate.

One day someone will hook these cables up to some sort of analysis machine and determine once and for all if a digital signal passes accurately or not down a cable. I'd love to see the results. It must be possible to analyse the output compare it to the input and determine whether there were any losses. Considering that digital is 0s and 1s I'm constantly surprised by the reviews that claim specific areas of degredation or enhancement, such as punchier colours, more 3d image, tighter bass. The 0s and 1s are not in a state where they can have any clue "what" they'll be decoded for, so how can a cable, have a preference for or against one aspect or another. It can't know.

The only thing a cable can do is degrade the quality of the bitstream overall, which will lead to a percentage degredation if there is any. Would love to see some lab testing and results for HDMI cables. Until that happens, I'd be happy to run with the thought that as long as the signal is broadcast correctly and the receiving technology can correctly collect the signal, the cable is highly unlikely to be a factor in information degradation at the sort of lengths used domestically. You're basically looking for well built terminations and good quality protective sheathing and perhaps some EMF shielding to prevent interference, if that can even impact on the frequencies used in HDMI transmission. Perhaps a physicist or electical engineer could explain whether that's possible/relevant or not.

EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

A

Anonymous

Ahhhhhh the old cables debate. The only discussion as likely to cause as much or more debate alongside the old favourites; Religion and politics.

I personally have not heard or seen any differences between cables used for carrying digital signals. I have heard and seen some differences between cables used for analogue transmission but certainly not enough to have me reaching for my credit card.

T

A

Anonymous

tizer2000uk:
Ahhhhhh the old cables debate. The only discussion as likely to cause as much or more debate alongside the old favourites; Religion and politics.

I personally have not heard or seen any differences between cables used for carrying digital signals. I have heard and seen some differences between cables used for analogue transmission but certainly not enough to have me reaching for my credit card.

T

Just wanted to apologise for starting up this old debate guys ;)

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i belive i can see a differance between cheep and more expencive hdmi leads im not sure if its a pound 4 pound that impresive but then how many upgrades are,is a kuro twice as good as a panasonic?probably not but if you can afford it and thats what you want then why not.

im not sure about the loss of data in the cheaper cables is any diferant but on a better cable(im not talking silly money) im sure the shielding is much better and the adapters are more solid and probably a more secure fit

maybe its like the mains filter debate some people say thay see no diferance using them,posibaly thay have clean mains. so there is no diferance and another person will say it made a massive differance,thay could have alot of noise on there mains.could it be that the people that say the better cables do make a differance need more shilding on there cables due to interfirance

i have no idea but like i said before £25 qed, job done

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've been in a few cable debates on another forum, mentioning something that not everyone agrees on. Surprise surprise.

Getting the 0's and 1's to the other end is one part of the story, and many things can be measured at both ends. But what about those aspects of sound that can't be measured?

My point in the other threads was that many people said you can measure everything to show a difference, but my point was that if one product measured 0.001% distortion and another was 0.002% distortion, people aren't going to hear the difference. So if a measured difference can't be heard, does it not follow that certai non measurable difference can be heard?

A

Anonymous

not quite

if a difference can't be heard but can be measured then a difference that can't be measured isnt a difference and doesnt exist

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
The problem is more on the 'measurement' side

These 'eye' gadgets are a bit poor to my mind

Anyways, im a believer as my Van Den Hul certainly had 'visual' benefits over my QED (Unsure of sound as Ive only recently got sound through HDMI)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
one off:
certain

are your ears not qualitative measures

What I think is being said is just how accurate and precise is the measuring equipment used?

For example, ive not seen a single one that outlines the JITTER in a cable (ie, the information might all go through, but not in exactly the right sequence)

And most use the awful EYE TEST which proves absolutely nothing to me

And whilst my ears can be deceived, my eyes will always be as good one day to the next

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts