Import IPad 2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I will Be Going To New York at the end of the month, thinking of purchasing the new ipad 2. The 16gb wi-fi only version. Will this work ok in Ireland. Are there any compatibility issues. With the currency exchange there is about €130 saving.

A

Anonymous

It will work
:)

How do I know? because I did it last year with the Ipad (wow, its only just been out 1 year and they replaced it!)

Now, OK, i'm taking a gamble that the 'pad 2 will be the same as the 1, but realistically no company wants to make local market products as they cost money.

The only thing I needed to do was plug a UK "figure of 8" mains cable into the Apple power adaptor (which it is designed to take) and there you go.

I even got an American itunes account while in the US - also simple. This means I have some US apps and can buy US films/series too. And yes they all sync fine, even with a mix of UK/US apps.

Enjoy! The ipad is an amazing piece of kit which is a joy to use and the second gen looks even better (33% slimmer and lighter).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They'll replace it every year Ashworth - luxury products like this with an extremely high 'must have' factor are a gold mine for the likes of Apple. These things probably cost them £xx, and so far they've sold roughly 7-10 million iPads, which means production costs have been more than recouped. From here on in, it's just a case of adding a few more features every year like they have with the iPhone, then just watch the cash roll in. That may seem a little hypocritical of me as I have an iPhone and iPad, but my phone is a 3GS which I'm in no rush to change, and likewise with e iPad - IF the 3rd generation iPad is a good step forward, then I MIGHT think about changing it, but for what I use it for, it's not necessary.

A

Anonymous

only thing to consider is actually getting one as they will most likely be sold out.

A

Anonymous

woollyjoe:only thing to consider is actually getting one as they will most likely be sold out.

True, but I got mine in week 1 of US launch - and in San Francisco too.
They were coming in every couple of days and you couldn't reserve so it wasnt too hard.

Supply was much better than say the iphone 4 in the UK

Highway

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

and so far they've sold roughly 7-10 million iPads.

Close, they have moved 15 Million according to the press release.

My friend is going over in April and will be picking up an iPad 2 as well.

Well timed for the run up to the holiday season.

iMark

It will work OK.

Just a few things to consider.

In the EU there are maximums for the value of goods you can bring in from outside the EU. There is a maximum of EUR 430 for importing goods per adult. Of course I don't know how strict Irish customs are the airport.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

The plug adapter that comes with the iPad charger will be the US type. You will need a plug adapter if you want to use a wall socket in Ireland. Any Apple charger however comes with a detachable plug so you can take the US type off and replace it with an Irish type. Apple also supplies a World Travel Adapter Kit for different sockets. You might be able to find that in the New York Apple Store.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB974ZM/B?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

It might be a bit of overkill if you only have an iPad. Of course you will be able to charge the iPad from a USB port without any problems.

We bought an iPad in the UK in December and use it in the Netherlands with a plug that came with a Mac. Actually quite convenient because we now have a plug that will work with our chargers in the UK for our Macs. I don't know where to get separate plug attachments for Apple chargers but I'm sure you can get them as spare parts.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
If you remember with the iPad 1 you got a usb connector that attached to a powerpoint adaptor wich you could change the pins of the plug , i can't see them changing this . You can buy different plugs from the apple store

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Just bought an iPad 1 16GB wi-fi – no-brainer at £329 – and using the Personal Hotspot feature of iOS4.3 means I can use my iPhone 3GS to give the iPad 3G capability via Bluetooth.

Very neat, but not a game-changer: used to be able to do this with my old Nokia phone and a netbook!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
Just bought an iPad 1 16GB wi-fi – no-brainer at £329 – and using the Personal Hotspot feature of iOS4.3 means I can use my iPhone 3GS to give the iPad 3G capability via Bluetooth.

Very neat, but not a game-changer: used to be able to do this with my old Nokia phone and a netbook!

I'm thinking of doingt he same. Can it handle the iOS4.3 OK or is it a bit slow? What with it having the soon to be older processor. I'll only use it for Sonos, a bit of surfing and as a movie player for the laddo when on longish car journeys.

There are conflicting rumours online as to whether the 3G iPad 2 in the US is locked to AT&T or not. I think it will be unlocked. Anyone got a US import to confirm the status? I'm thinking of asking my brother-in-law to get one for me when he visits UK next.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts