iMac Playback issues

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
In the last day or so I have started to have some issues with my iMac deselecting the selected output when I am using headphones.

My setup is Dragonfly Black USB > RCA in Headphone Amp.

I am using Audirvana+, latest version. In the software the selected output is the Dragonfly and the iMac's AudioMidi settings are set to the same with an output of 44k. The 'Volume' toggle on the iMac menus bar is also selected as Audioquest.

So all is well.

Trouble is that when I when I hit 'Play' in Audirvana the selection in AudioMidi (and subsequently in the menu bar jumps to 'Internal Output' and I can hear nothing through the headphones at all.

Restarted and everything is up to date but I can't fathom it at all.

Removing the DAC from the system and playing directly from the 3.5mm output works fine. The iMac just doesn't seem to like using a separate DAC and I cannot understand what is wrong.

Would appreciate any help anyone may have.

Edit: The minute I posted after struggling with it for 3 days I figured it out. The issue appeared to be with Linn Songcast and that and Audirvana fighting for supremacy. As a trial I uninstalled Sogcast and all is well. The Menu bar still displays 'Internal output' but the Dac is responding the the different bitrates by changing colour as it should so it's evident that the audio is being channeled through it.

Just wanted to share knowledge in case anyone else ever has the same issue.

Yes, interesting. And a great example of how we are still miles away from being able to depend in "computers" for all our music. A turntable and/or CD player are quite complicated enough! (If I don't add that I realise CD players contain chips and DACs someone will think I'm stupid!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts